The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

My final 2021-22 line-up wish list. (I tried to take in account what the fan base wants and management)

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

20 hours ago, DSVII said:

As always the thing with JB is his sense of timing. I'll actually be fine if he followed his formula for 2020's offseason and just did nothing and sign cheap help.

• 1 year inexpensive deals for Sutter/Edler/Hamonic
  • We are back in the Pacific, where the top teams are Vegas and EDM
  • Healthy Petey + Podholzin/Rathbone/Lind/Gadjo joining the squad
  • Benning has stated that his goal is to compete in 2022. If we hold off on buying anyone out we can maximize the cap space available that year.
  • Keep all our draft picks, there is a chance the 2021 1st rounder can begin their ELC in the next two years like Hog
  • 2021, just stomach Loui, Beagle, Roussel, Holtby (if he isn't selected). Do what we avoided from 2014-16, take our lumps in both the standings and give the young guns their ice time and reset

We need patience and restraint right now in this delicate stage. We don't want to tie this team for years to come to address a short term issue that will burn itself out after this year.

Really hope Aquilini is not making JB's job incumbent on JUST making playoffs next year, but rather on whether he is setting this team up for future sustainable success. I don't wanna see Panic Benning trades/signings.

Good post.  Other than I disagree on bringing Edler back. This team does not know when to let go.

8 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

Standing Pat is wonderful in theory, but management will need to prove to the players, fans, and ownership that losing efforts are unacceptable and that they will do whatever it takes to provide support for the boys.  

Now obviously, I’m not saying that we got out there and start firing off 1st round picks and Jack Rathbones as sweeteners to clear cap and bring in “now” players.  That would be Corky Thatcher levels of retardation.   What I am suggesting however, is that “standing back and letting all the bad contracts ride out” while “getting the band back together again by bringing Sutter and Edler back,” might demonstrate to the players in the lockerroom that management doesn’t care about them and this coming season.....and THAT’s the type of doodoo that will create toxic environments such as what we saw in both Buffalo and Columbus.

Use a 2nd + 3rd, and a B levels sweeteners to get rid of Roussel and Beagle in independent deals for two 7th round picks + go hard after Mikael Granlund and Adam Larsson.

There's the rub.

But this GM got himself into this sticky situation, and if its a choice between doing the splashy "aggressive" thing to inspire fans, and even for the players,......... or to do the prudent thing, the boring thing, the thing that will allow the team to re-set for 2022 in the best possible scenario to build a contender, I'd take the latter.

JB put himself and the team in this position, and you'd think he'd feel some pressure to stop kicking the can down the road, and follow a real plan to align all our Canucks in row. To build a complete team with value players.  Too long losing not only in the standings, but overall net value on multiple fronts. And that affects reducing your options when it comes to improvements.  Which is what happens when you perpetually sign players you fail to evaluate well, above their market value, and then can't trade them. Or throw away a top prospect and a second round pick for a top six you then fail to sign.  Losing a value #5/6 RH D who bled Canucks in Stecher.  Wasting the opportunity to bring over a monster D like Tryamkin to help one of the smallest teams in the league.  Even if he didn't work out here, his size alone would've make him a tradeable asset with another season on the big stage. Etc etc..

IMO we could have already been in that contention mode by now if JB was more competent and/or not afraid of the owner.  But that's blown now.  Now the best course is to take a breath,  be creative if you can, drop or move some of the dead cap this summer,  and the rest next summer. It will still be a challenge even without complicating it with adding even more JB Specials this summer.   

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

Standing Pat is wonderful in theory, but management will need to prove to the players, fans, and ownership that losing efforts are unacceptable and that they will do whatever it takes to provide support for the boys.  

Now obviously, I’m not saying that we got out there and start firing off 1st round picks and Jack Rathbones as sweeteners to clear cap and bring in “now” players.  That would be Corky Thatcher levels of retardation.   What I am suggesting however, is that “standing back and letting all the bad contracts ride out” while “getting the band back together again by bringing Sutter and Edler back,” might demonstrate to the players in the lockerroom that management doesn’t care about them and this coming season.....and THAT’s the type of doodoo that will create toxic environments such as what we saw in both Buffalo and Columbus.

Use a 2nd + 3rd, and a B levels sweeteners to get rid of Roussel and Beagle in independent deals for two 7th round picks + go hard after Mikael Granlund and Adam Larsson.

I would suggest that the damage was done on that front with the departure of Tanev, Toffoli and Stetcher and with minimal (tanev) to no (toffoli/stetcher) effort to retain at least one of them when the expressed interest in keeping last year's 2nd round squad together. 

Management now has to communicate this new timeline that Jim spoke of in March to the team and get buy in on that. It's not easy, but last year was not a clean one and you have to be able to make the players see the timeline and buy into the plan. That's your job as a GM. Communicate the plan. It may not be what people want but if you're honest about it and have integrity in following and sticking to the plan then they will respect that conviction.

What does it demonstrate to the locker room when you preach a patient approach one month then proclaim you want to be aggressive the next?

Likewise, if last year's point of selling all those assets to make the playoffs was to get experience for our core, then let's see the fruits of it! We have to bank on the fact that the experience was enough for this core to take that next step without needing to spend too much on getting them help next year, especially in a weak division where there's no clear cut playoff teams outside of Vegas and Edm.

Support them yes with prudent UFA signings, but let them know that next year is a building year for the planned breakout in 2022. 

Edited by DSVII