The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Canucks- Flyers

Flyers have wanted to move Ghost for some time and are apparently willing to deal the 13th overall pick this year.

Canucks trade: Schmidt 2021 2nd round pick

for

Flyers send: Ghost 4.5m 3 years remaining at age 28 right now, so a bit younger

2021 1st round pick 13th overall

Doubt that Schmidt holds that kind of value after his year with us, but other teams have seen him play at a much higher level prior to coming to the bottom feeder Canucks where Green didn't utilize him in a way to get the most out of him imo. Or maybe that is just the silly asistant coach we employed Bumgartner...

We save a bit of cap, get a player who can play PP2 and has less term and gain another 1st in a crap shoot draft. Unlikely to happen, but read that Flyers are willing to move pick for D help and unless they add something good I don't think it will be enough for Jones or it might but not with a signed extension which then is risky for the Flyers as it looks like he wants to test FA next summer.

35 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Flyers have wanted to move Ghost for some time and are apparently willing to deal the 13th overall pick this year.

Canucks trade: Schmidt 2021 2nd round pick

for

Flyers send: Ghost 4.5m 3 years remaining at age 28 right now, so a bit younger

2021 1st round pick 13th overall

Doubt that Schmidt holds that kind of value after his year with us, but other teams have seen him play at a much higher level prior to coming to the bottom feeder Canucks where Green didn't utilize him in a way to get the most out of him imo. Or maybe that is just the silly asistant coach we employed Bumgartner...

We save a bit of cap, get a player who can play PP2 and has less term and gain another 1st in a crap shoot draft. Unlikely to happen, but read that Flyers are willing to move pick for D help and unless they add something good I don't think it will be enough for Jones or it might but not with a signed extension which then is risky for the Flyers as it looks like he wants to test FA next summer.

Problem with that is Rathbone sized and plays the L side.   If he was a righty then maybe this would work out for us.   His game had also gone way way down, his value even with the cap hit, is a lot less then Schmidt's is as a defender.    We don't need yet another small LHD.   What we need is a guy like Jones.   Sure they might do this deal but don't see how it helps us unless somehow we get Jones.   Ghost will likely be an anchor for us as well.  

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Problem with that is Rathbone sized and plays the L side.   If he was a righty then maybe this would work out for us.   His game had also gone way way down, his value even with the cap hit, is a lot less then Schmidt's is as a defender.    We don't need yet another small LHD.   What we need is a guy like Jones.   Sure they might do this deal but don't see how it helps us unless somehow we get Jones.   Ghost will likely be an anchor for us as well.  

I am aware, Ghost has played lots on the right side but much like Schmidt here the coach doesn't like doing that

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Canuckster86 said:

I am aware, Ghost has played lots on the right side but much like Schmidt here the coach doesn't like doing that

Heck i'm all in for a rebuild re-set.   If we are really going there then let's go all in and trade both Miller and Horvat too, and build around EP, BB, QHs etc.     But don't think we are there yet.   Need to give it next season, and then the following one pull the plug if need be.   The bounty of goods we'd get for Horvat and Miller could  boost us, just like Duchene and Barrie did for COL.   I'm not at all that crazy about trying Schmidt unless a legit RHD tweener is the return or a 3c tweener that projects as a solid top six C later.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Heck i'm all in for a rebuild re-set.   If we are really going there then let's go all in and trade both Miller and Horvat too, and build around EP, BB, QHs etc.     But don't think we are there yet.   Need to give it next season, and then the following one pull the plug if need be.   The bounty of goods we'd get for Horvat and Miller could  boost us, just like Duchene and Barrie did for COL.   I'm not at all that crazy about trying Schmidt unless a legit RHD tweener is the return or a 3c tweener that projects as a solid top six C later.  

Centers and top defensemen are the toughest to get, and we drafted one (after stealing the pick from NJ) and acquired the other in a cap move from TBL... now why would we sell two of them when both are leaders on the team?  We'd lose so much grit and leadership.  I'd agree if either of them has been a problem to the team but there's really no indication that they have been.  If Vancouver doesn't re-sign Edler but signs Hamonic to a similar deal and signs an RHD like Larsson to play next to Schmidt, then the D will look really good, so it's probably best to exercise patience.

Re: OP, have to say I'll pass as Ghost doesn't fit our team needs -- if Laughton was available then I'd strongly consider him and Justin Braun for Schmidt and a pick but he just re-signed so probably wouldn't be moved.

Edited by Phil_314

1 hour ago, Phil_314 said:

Centers and top defensemen are the toughest to get, and we drafted one (after stealing the pick from NJ) and acquired the other in a cap move from TBL... now why would we sell two of them when both are leaders on the team?  We'd lose so much grit and leadership.  I'd agree if either of them has been a problem to the team but there's really no indication that they have been.  If Vancouver doesn't re-sign Edler but signs Hamonic to a similar deal and signs an RHD like Larsson to play next to Schmidt, then the D will look really good, so it's probably best to exercise patience.

Re: OP, have to say I'll pass as Ghost doesn't fit our team needs -- if Laughton was available then I'd strongly consider him and Justin Braun for Schmidt and a pick but he just re-signed so probably wouldn't be moved.

It's about timing.  And i completely disagree that we "stole" anything from NJ.  They got a top goalie at the time and he played like it for awhile too.  The fact Horvat turned out as the best 9th overall during the 2010's is partially just blind luck IMO.   Point is, if we are going to make our D worse by trading Schmidt, which it most certainly will be (come on who's a better UFA that will come to market that saves us any real money? - answer nobody most likely).  

IF are going to make the team worse on purpose, might as well go all in at this point and trade 2 of BB, Horvat and Miller.   Like i said the timing is wrong by one or two years and don't want to go there.   Rather give the team at least a chance at the playoffs and get some reps in.   This crazy idea that Schmidt is the issue is a totally wrong target.    He's not an issue.   Bad year?  Maybe.   Doubt that he won't bounce back either.

Maybe he's a little overpaid.  But not really when you only compare UFAs.   Right where he should be.   And he's solid, versatile and in his prime.  

IF are going to trade him - we need another D coming back for sure.   Not just lottery tickets. 

12 hours ago, IBatch said:

This could in fact be bang on and what we should do! It worked out great for Colorado and their team is just loaded to stay together for a while, just need to insure they keep or get a solid #1G

10 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Laughton would be a good target for Schmidt and Braun could fit the temporary rhd spot. Or we had something else and try get Meyer from them

• Vintage 1

8 hours ago, IBatch said:

It's about timing.  And i completely disagree that we "stole" anything from NJ.  They got a top goalie at the time and he played like it for awhile too.  The fact Horvat turned out as the best 9th overall during the 2010's is partially just blind luck IMO.   Point is, if we are going to make our D worse by trading Schmidt, which it most certainly will be (come on who's a better UFA that will come to market that saves us any real money? - answer nobody most likely).  

IF are going to make the team worse on purpose, might as well go all in at this point and trade 2 of BB, Horvat and Miller.   Like i said the timing is wrong by one or two years and don't want to go there.   Rather give the team at least a chance at the playoffs and get some reps in.   This crazy idea that Schmidt is the issue is a totally wrong target.    He's not an issue.   Bad year?  Maybe.   Doubt that he won't bounce back either.

Maybe he's a little overpaid.  But not really when you only compare UFAs.   Right where he should be.   And he's solid, versatile and in his prime.  

IF are going to trade him - we need another D coming back for sure.   Not just lottery tickets. 

I'm slightly confused -- you want them to retool when the return will be pennies on the dollar for 3 guys who are all 28 and under, then you say that you want to at least give them a chance at the playoffs and get reps?  Thing is, the player or asset (high pick) in return may not necessarily gel with the other members of the Lotto Line or fit the role of 2nd line center, and that's especially true given the crapshoot that the upcoming and maybe even next draft after that could be since this batch of kids has all missed time in their development due to COVID.  I also think Schmidt is not bad, just that situationally if fans don't see him as a suitable guy for a shutdown role then he could be moved to reshuffle the deck, but until that happens he still should have a top-2 (top-4 at worst) player's ability in him.  With that said, I think I'm the opposite of you in that I'd prefer to keep the top-6 intact and maybe find a more defensive player to replace Schmidt through trade or FA (agreed no lottery tickets, e.g. just high pick in return).