The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Van-Tampa

Well on the heels of Arrows proposal, (it made me think about Cernak, which made me even think bigger!) So here is goes!

Cernak (2,950,000) + Cerelli (4,800,000)

for

Vancouver's 2022-1st (unprotected) + Lind + Woo + 2023-2nd ( we add if necessary!) but it will not be much!

IMO,

This protects Tampa somewhat from the Expansion draft, and gives them good talent and assets back. The unprotected 1st gives them an improved pick, which may come back to haunt us, but with the improved talent, I seriously doubt we will be in the Wright sweepstakes. (The old adage applies here.......a Cerili and a Carnak in the hand is better than a Wright in the bush), and gives them alot of Cap relief. If Tampa can clear enough cap, they may be able to go out and get a short cap deal with a aging veteran, who can still perform and wants a Stanley Cup, Tampa is one of the best bet for that to happen, so a million dollar deal there, is a solid career move, and may allow that veteran more time in the league. Aka, Corey Perry in Montreal or Jason Spezza in Toronto. I think Tamp goes this way for a couple of years. The tax relief doesn't hurt.

For Vancouver, they take advantage of Tampa's cap problems, and add 2 very good players, even though the hit hurts. This puts us exactly where Benning wants us, and now Benning has to clear the cap to make it work. ( That is why he gets paid the big bucks!) Cernak becomes our #RHD for Hughes or Rathbone, and Cerelli anchors our 3rd line, and our Penalty Kill,and tough checking assignments.

2021-2022 Line up (bold protected)

Miller (5.250)              Pettersson (6.75)            Boeser (5.75)                     Hughes (6.0)              Cernak (2.95)              Demko (5.0)

Pearson (3.75)           Horvat (5.5)                     Hoglander  (1.0)                 Rathbone (1.0)           Myers (6.0)                  Holtby (4.3)

Motte (1.25)                Cirelli (4.8)                      Podkolzin  (1.0)                  Schmidt (5.95)           Hamonic (2.25)

Hawryluk (1.0)             Graovac ( 1.0 )                Highmore  (1.0)                    Juolevi (1.0)

Bailey (1.0)

22 Man Roster                   (72.5 Million)

Luongo Penalty                    (3.0 Million)

Beagle (LTIR)                       (0.0 Million)

Ferland (LTIR)                      (0.0 Million)

Virtanen (Suspended)          (0.0 Million)

Roussel (Bury)                     (2.0 Million)   

Eriksson (Buyout)                 (4.0 Million)

Total Budget             (81.5 Million)   It should be noted this does not include who ever is taken in the Expansion draft.

Expansion Protection List (7-3-1)

Protected - Miller, Pettersson, Boeser, Pearson, Horvat, Cerilli, Motte, Cernak, Schnidt, Juolevi, Demko

Exempt - Hoglander, Podkolzin, Hughes, DiPietro and Rathbone

UFA's - Hamonic (UFA), Bailey (UFA), Graovac (UFA), Bowey (UFA), Hawryluk (RFA)

Exposed - Myers, Holtby, Roussel, Virtanen (Suspended)

Note*1

With Lind now traded, it only leaves Juolevi and Gradjovich that needed protection, I choose Juolevi, because he fits into our line up, but maybe Benning protects Gadjovich, because Juolvi is injured and has not showed alot yet! (although, I think he will be fine) If that is the case, I believe Myers is gone.

Note*2

Holtby's buy out is $500,000 year 1, and $1,900,000 year 2, so if Benning needs cap space this summer and Holby does not get claimed, that is an option.

Note*3

We still have our 2021-1st and 2021-2nd

Note*4

Eriksson will be buried if Benning has extra cap, as it only save $1million, as compared to a buyout, and ends 1 year early. My guess is Erksson retired after his bonus is paid.

Note*5

Would it not be interesting if Virtanen, who is suspended and not on the payroll, is being protected, this way. Not done necessarily on purpose, but it just works out that way.

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Cheers 1

So Tampa keeps the contracts they wish to move like Johnson but lose the players they consider core. 

It doesn't even help their cap - how are they even going to replace these guys given the roles they have.  

Tampa is probably one of the few teams that welcomes expansion - they need to shed contracts and Seattle is one of the few teams that can take cap for futures.  Teams typically protect their core.   Kucherov, Point, Cirelli, Hedman, Cernak, Sergachev and Vasy per McKenzie.  

• Vintage 1

I mean, I’d do that deal in a heartbeat but I fail to see why Tampa does this.  Tampa is in cap hell and Cernak is one of their few cost controlled assets with a really good cap hit.

I absolutely love Cernak and would be glad to have him here, but I don’t see how this would make sense for Tampa.

11 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

I mean, I’d do that deal in a heartbeat but I fail to see why Tampa does this.  Tampa is in cap hell and Cernak is one of their few cost controlled assets with a really good cap hit.

I absolutely love Cernak and would be glad to have him here, but I don’t see how this would make sense for Tampa.

It doesnt help them now really but we just spitballing cause nothing is happening atm lol

4 hours ago, mll said:

So Tampa keeps the contracts they wish to move like Johnson but lose the players they consider core. 

It doesn't even help their cap - how are they even going to replace these guys given the roles they have.  

Tampa is probably one of the few teams that welcomes expansion - they need to shed contracts and Seattle is one of the few teams that can take cap for futures.  Teams typically protect their core.   Kucherov, Point, Cirelli, Hedman, Cernak, Sergachev and Vasy per McKenzie.  

Well the first thing that crosses my mind, is who do they protect.?

I agree, they protect Cirelli, but who do they protect on defense? I mean if they want to stay competitive.

Second thing that crosses my mind is, we are offering solid pieces, those assets could certainly come close to getting equal valued players, from other sources, so its not like we are offering chump change.

Thirdly, their window is starting to close, and no picks to use to shore it up. 

The other thing is teams are starting to say no to Tampa, in  term of taking aging players, Johnson is the example of that, so as part of that, they gave up Miller, hoping to fix their problem, which did not happen. Miller was not the fix.......someone was suppose to take Johnson.......now they are 10 million over and no one is injured. No way they will be allowed to pull that one again.

Sergachev and Point are core, Headman and Kucherov are core, Vasilevskyi is core, Stamkos is core.........Cerelli and Cernak are not as important albeit solid. there is also alot of NTC's on that team, which they can not move, and have big expensive contracts. 

None of these guys will wave, because all love it there. The Gm will have to work it out. we are offering a way to get out, and build, while competing......

You should also consider that any player that does wave their NTC is actually reducing their own salary in most cases.......when was the last time you voted for a drop in take home pay?

Just for the record, I would even put in our 2023-1st, for 2 studs like that......IMO, this is close to putting us over the top.......all of a sudden, we are not needing the 2 pieces we absolutely needed, it takes pressure off of every line, and helps Hughes exponentially. Im am not even sure he goes with Hughes as Rathbone and Cernak may become your #1 pairing and Hughes and Harmonic becomes your #2 pairing, and Hughes is your PP Dman.

Does Tampa's GM jump up and say wow, thanks! Probably not, but we are offering a good package

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Well the first thing that crosses my mind, is who do they protect.?

I agree, they protect Cirelli, but who do they protect on defense? I mean if they want to stay competitive.

Second thing that crosses my mind is, we are offering solid pieces, those assets could certainly come close to getting equal valued players, from other sources, so its not like we are offering chump change.

Thirdly, their window is starting to close, and no picks to use to shore it up. 

The other thing is teams are starting to say no to Tampa, in  term of taking aging players, Johnson is the example of that, so as part of that, they gave up Miller, hoping to fix their problem, which did not happen. Miller was not the fix.......someone was suppose to take Johnson.......now they are 10 million over and no one is injured. No way they will be allowed to pull that one again.

Sergachev and Point are core, Headman and Kucherov are core, Vasilevskyi is core, Stamkos is core.........Cerelli and Cernak are not as important albeit solid. there is also alot of NTC's on that team, which they can not move, and have big expensive contracts. 

None of these guys will way, because all love it there. The Gm will have to work it out. we are offering a way to get out, and build, while competing......

Just for the record, I would even put in our 2023-1st, for 2 studs like that......IMO, this is close to putting us over the top.......all of a sudden, we are not needing the 2 pieces we absolutely needed, it takes pressure off of every line, and helps Hughes exponentially. Im am not even sure he goes with Hughes as Rathbone and Cernak may become your #1 pairing and Hughes and Harmonic becomes your #2 pairing, and Hughes is your PP Dman.

Does Tampa's GM jump up and say wow, thanks! Probably not, but we are offering a good package

If I was Tampa, I’d be looking to move Stamkos for picks to be honest.   Tampa

has proven that they are a hell of a team even without him, and I would even go as far as saying that Stamkos isn’t quite a “core” player for them any longer.  I could be wrong on this however.

When I think of Tampa’s core, I think of Point, Kucherov, Cirelli, Cernak, Hedman, and Vasilevsky.  

Stamkos and Hedman still have excellent value and I’d try and sell high on both of them if I was Tampa.  Do a retool on the fly, clear massive cap, and bring in a boatload of picks and prospects to complement their cup winning core players.

• Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

has proven that they are a hell of a team even without him, and I would even go as far as saying that Stamkos isn’t quite a “core” player for them any longer.  I could be wrong on this however.

When I think of Tampa’s core, I think of Point, Kucherov, Cirelli, Cernak, Hedman, and Vasilevsky.  

Stamkos and Hedman still have excellent value and I’d try and sell high on both of them if I was Tampa.  Do a retool on the fly, clear massive cap, and bring in a boatload of picks and prospects to complement their cup winning core players.

Stamkos has been injured, not the same player he was to be.

Move him to Seattle even if they bite, him and Johnson can be moved together and get first round picks back

• Cheers 1

I'd lean towards Foote as opposed to Cernak - and wouldn't expect to double up like this and take a Cirelli at the same time (I'm even more skeptical of them dealing him than I would be one of their RHD...

Worth remembering thought - almost everyone thought Tampa was going to have to do something significant last summer - while praying they don't receive offersheets - and they managed to slip through relatively unscathed.

They do have the option of simply dealing with Seattle -but hopefully Seattle will play hardball with them and force them to leverage hard one way or the other.

Once upon an expansion Vegas took both Marchessault and Smith from Florida....would be on the other end of that scale...

If we could get Cal Foote for the 2022 1st and a secondary pick/prospect....while cutting a deal with Seattle to leave our blueline alone.....that would be a pretty sweet "aggressive" result imo.

1 hour ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Yup would do that mostly because of cernack being 23 and could still give the team 10 years of play or more. Hes a beast already in the playoffs and exactly what this team needs. 

maybe he is

maybe he's not

we could screw up all his buddung potential

then trade him away for the next Pearson

1 hour ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

Move him to Seattle even if they bite, him and Johnson can be moved together and get first round picks back

Stamkos injured doesn't help them (TB)  but when he's in the lineup he never ever disappoints.   Still one of the best C's in the entire game when he plays.    LTIR serves TB well, as long as they can keep that up their dynasty, which they are on a precipice of creating, stays.   Like trading Potvin or Bossy after their first cup.   You just don't do that. 

Edited by IBatch

1 hour ago, Patel Bure said:

Without even checking, i'd bet with with deal he signed (4 million less then what was on the table) it includes a full NMC.  Never ever going to happen.   Stamkos will either help his team if he's healthy, or enjoy his paycheques. 

• Cheers 3

3 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

#1. Stamkos has a 8.5 million dollar salary, a NMC, and is 31 and is the captain, and is injury laden.....but sure, go ahead and try and trade him

#2. Sergachev is ahead of Cernak by all accounts on any depth chart I have ever seen.

#3. You and everyone else are not addressing the fact that most of these guys have NTC's and NMC's which has been a problem from the start, that and alot of them are 30ish, and come with large salary's in a cap era, how do you think we got Schmidt.....no one wants a 30 year old that costs north of 5 to 6 million......not without cap coming back, and an assets attached, which Tampa is running out of.

#4. Tampa has 1-1st, 1-3rd, and 1-4th in the next 2 years.............and has really Cal Foote in the prospect department, that is notable. I am not sure how you think these guys are being traded?

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

I like the idea but that is not nearly enough unfortunately for those two, even with expansion draft.  Cernak is playing lights out these P/Os and big piece for them going forward likewise for Cirelli.  

I see them protecting 4f. Stamkos, Kuch, Point, Cirelli, 4d, Hedman, Serge, Cernak, Foote.  Sure they expose McDoughagh but Seattle isn't touching that.  Which means the will lose a forward (Killorn?).  After that, I'm sure they will figure out a LTIR work around somehow (Stamkos' turn :) ), like this previous year when everyone thought they would lose one of their rfa or whatnot, they will somehow make a trade to get value for Johnson :sadno:

I don't see teams like TB or COL giving up pieces for picks or prospects when they will lose a player in the XD anyways,  they will deal with Seattle directly.  After the dust is settled and all teams have lost a player or 3 and they know where they are Cap wise, there will be movement.  I think after the E.D, leading up to the Draft and during there will be a lot of trades and possibly then some players previously thought not available will be.

3 hours ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

So, hi Ron Francis this is Julien Brisebois

Hey how would you like to have Stamkos and Johnson

Yes.........13,500,000....Yes ......One has a NTC and the other a NMC

Why, yes, both are 30+,  well, yes......they both get injured alot

Are we expecting a return......yes, 2- 1st's and a couple of prospects

No.....we want you to give them to us!

No.....I have not been drinking! FU!

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

So, hi Ron Francis this is Julien Brisebois

Hey how would you like to have Stamkos and Johnson

Yes.........13,500,000....Yes ......One has a NTC and the other a NMC

Why, yes, both are 30+,  well, yes......they both get injured alot

Are we expecting a return......yes, 2- 1st's and a couple of prospects

No.....we want you to give them to us!

No.....I have not been drinking! FU!

Yes TB is going to have to pay the piper this off season.   Wonder how they manage that.   And for sure not one player with a NTC or a NMC is leaving TB either.   They won't be as good as they have been next season.   About time too, running with close to 100million dollar roster in the playoff is the biggest cap circus i've seen yet.   

• Like 1