The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If I only had a brain...(player?)

Rate this topic

LTC123

1 hour ago, khay said:

We don't need a 1st pairing defender like Hedman but more like Tanev, who will partner with Hughes to form a 1st pairing defence. I think those can be signed at around 5 mil.

Hughes-RD

Edler-Schmidt

Rathbone/OJ-Myers

We don't need that second pairing defender either. Just re-sign Edler at a discount, around 3mil.

We also don't need a 2nd line winger. We will have Podkolzin and Hoglander. 

Yes, we need a 3C and probably a 4C if Beagle is on LTIR. Hopefully we can find a 3C at around 4-4.5 mil and 4C around 2 mil?

It may be good to get a middle six winger.

Miller-EP-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Hoglander

Motte-3C-Podkolzin

Highmore-4C-4RW

I think we leave 4RW spot open for some healthy internal competition. 

TODO list

EP + Hughes for 12 mil

RD for 5 mil

3C for 4 mil

4C for 2 mil

Edler for 3 mil

In total we need about 26 mil.

We have 14 million in cap space as per Capfriendly.

- Buyout Holtby and Virtanen saves us 3.8 + 2.5 mil = 6.3 mil.

- LTIR for Beagle and Ferland gives us 6.5 mil.

That gives us about 26 mil to work with.

If we need more space, we will have to cap dump Roussel. With one year left and with a sweetener, we might be able to do it.

But maybe even Roussel might be placed on the LTIR. He hasn't been able to stay in the lineup consistently since his knee injury.

Edler for 3 mill oh boy what a mistake that would be

6 hours ago, LTC123 said:

Welcome from Winnipeg here....long time fan.

I remember following the Canucks in the 90's and mention of Trevor Linden.  I remember comment like, "If Linden only had a a player like  _________, he'd really explode offensively"     Or, If Bure only had a centreman like ______, he'd score more goals.  

Were (are) there players that you'd think that we were just one piece away that would have really propelled them into NHL stardom?  I believed we tried with Jimmy Carson and others but could never really find that one complementary player.  

Thoughts?

I remember the Sedins .... Burrows finally arrived and they did just fine but yes, we totally whiffed on Bure with WG. Best passer in the world and all-time, with no redline what could those two do even back then?   A ton.   Bure was the best goal scorer the teams ever seen bar none.   Unleash him ... that said said we did ok with what we had too. 

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Not exactly what the OP means, I don't think, but I always revert to the time Canucks' brass got Wayne Gretzky out of bed and told him to "take it or leave it".

For those who might not know the story, Gretz wanted to play with Pavel and went to bed thinking he had a deal with Vancouver. He'd told Pat Quinn that he would sign the contract in the morning. However, when Stan MCCammon heard this, he instructed Quinn to get the contract signed "now". Quinn told McCammon not to worry, but (the story goes) McCammon was suspicious that Gretzky was going to take the offer to other teams, to see if he could get a better deal.

He ordered Quinn to wake Gretzky up and get the contract signed right away. Gretzky did not appreciate this and the entire deal blew up.

We can only wonder what kind of numbers Pasha could have put up with 99 feeding him the puck all season....:sadno:

32 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I remember the Sedins .... Burrows finally arrived and they did just fine but yes, we totally whiffed on Bure with WG. Best passer in the world and all-time, with no redline what could those two do even back then?   A ton.   Bure was the best goal scorer the teams ever seen bar none.   Unleash him ... that said said we did ok with what we had too. 

Elias Pettersson, (CDC version), also suggested if we'd been able to hang onto Larionov we'd have probably won in '94.

Can u imagine Bure, Gretzky and Larionov here in '94?  Yikes.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Edler for 3 mill oh boy what a mistake that would be

Care to offer an alternative?

Don't give me QH + Rathbone + Juolevi eating up Edler's PK and defensive minutes.

1 minute ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Literally would rather have anyone even jett woo over edler

Next season's CDC tank commander general position has just been filled by Bertuzzipunch.

Edited by khay

3 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

If edler was good still he woulda proved it this year. He wasnt good at all. 

He took a step back. I'll give you that.

If it's not Edler, we still need someone else to eat up minutes. There aren't many quality dman that can eat minutes up at 3 mil or lower.

Throwing QH, Rathbone, OJ (or Woo) to eat those minutes up would be a surefire way towards maximizing our odds in the lottery.

Not a bad plan if the goal is to tank.

3 minutes ago, khay said:

If it's not Edler, we still need someone else to eat up minutes. There aren't many quality dman that can eat minutes up at 3 mil or lower.

Throwing QH, Rathbone, OJ (or Woo) to eat those minutes up would be a surefire way towards maximizing our odds in the lottery.

Do you think Edler will re-sign for $3M or less? 

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Not exactly what the OP means, I don't think, but I always revert to the time Canucks' brass got Wayne Gretzky out of bed and told him to "take it or leave it".

For those who might not know the story, Gretz wanted to play with Pavel and went to bed thinking he had a deal with Vancouver. He'd told Pat Quinn that he would sign the contract in the morning. However, when Stan MCCammon heard this, he instructed Quinn to get the contract signed "now". Quinn told McCammon not to worry, but (the story goes) McCammon was suspicious that Gretzky was going to take the offer to other teams, to see if he could get a better deal.

He ordered Quinn to wake Gretzky up and get the contract signed right away. Gretzky did not appreciate this and the entire deal blew up.

We can only wonder what kind of numbers Pasha could have put up with 99 feeding him the puck all season....:sadno:

Not only Pavel's numbers but Gretzky would have put up more points, maybe he will have scored more points each season and play a season or two longer to hit 3000 points before retiring.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Do you think Edler will re-sign for $3M or less? 

I hope so, although I might be delusional :)

3-4 mil may be possible. His family is here and may not want to uproot his family. And he's gotta get that 100th goal.

If his ask is 5 mil or higher, we simply cannot afford him as there are other holes that need to be filled.

9 minutes ago, khay said:

Sometimes you have to just throw these guys in the fire and hope for the best. I dont think not signing edler is exactly tanking. They need to be smarter and play better.

1 minute ago, khay said:

I don't think so. He isn't really worth more than $2.5 at this stage in his career. 

1 minute ago, khay said:

3-4 mil may be possible. His family is here and may not want to uproot his family. And he's gotta get that 100th goal.

For the reasons you provided, he has less bargaining strength. 

1 minute ago, khay said:

If his ask is 5 mil or higher, we simply cannot afford him as there are other holes that need to be filled.

100%. He's 35, and while still a great shot blocker (so is a post) all other facets of his game have seen a drop off. If he asks for $5M or higher, he probably won't get any offers. I'm fine with moving on from Edler, if Benning is able to sign a player than can take on his minutes. Jamie Oleksiak would be a good signing. He's a UFA this July, is 6'7" 250lbs, and is 28 years old. Younger and bigger than Edler. Would be a solid choice for a 5-6 spot. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, khay said:

TBH, I think $3M is the max I would consider. I've been a long-time Edler fan, but he really took a huge step back and at his age, any bounce back will probably be somewhat mitigated by aging. I'm hoping for a $2M deal at 1 or 2 years, though I recognize that might be below market value.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

TBH, I think $3M is the max I would consider. I've been a long-time Edler fan, but he really took a huge step back and at his age, any bounce back will probably be somewhat mitigated by aging. I'm hoping for a $2M deal at 1 or 2 years, though I recognize that might be below market value.

6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I don't think so. He isn't really worth more than $2.5 at this stage in his career. 

For the reasons you provided, he has less bargaining strength. 

100%. He's 35, and while still a great shot blocker (so is a post) all other facets of his game have seen a drop off. If he asks for $5M or higher, he probably won't get any offers. I'm fine with moving on from Edler, if Benning is able to sign a player than can take on his minutes. Jamie Oleksiak would be a good signing. He's a UFA this July, is 6'7" 250lbs, and is 28 years old. Younger and bigger than Edler. Would be a solid choice for a 5-6 spot. 

I'm somewhat surprised to know that his perceived value has dropped that low amongst the fans.

I'd be happy with him at 3 mil or under. Don't think we can find a guy at or below 3 mil that can do the job better than Edler.

12 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Sometimes you have to just throw these guys in the fire and hope for the best. I dont think not signing edler is exactly tanking. They need to be smarter and play better.

Sure, but let's add a veteran to share the duties. If the kids aren't having a good game, Edler or whoever else we can find at 3 mil range can play 16-18 minutes, mostly hard minutes including PK blocking shots and so on.

Edler did take a step back but at 35, 36 Edler, he should still be able to log  16-18 minutes a game. The reduced workload will be good for him as well.

I just don't like the idea of going into the season with so much uncertainty especially on the defensive end of the puck.

Just now, khay said:

I'm somewhat surprised to know that his perceived value has dropped that low amongst the fans.

I'd be happy with him at 3 mil or under. Don't think we can find a guy at or below 3 mil that can do the job better than Edler.

Sure, but let's add a veteran to share the duties. If the kids aren't having a good game, Edler or whoever else we can find at 3 mil range can play 16-18 minutes, mostly hard minutes including PK blocking shots and so on.

Edler did take a step back but at 35, 36 Edler, he should still be able to log  16-18 minutes a game. The reduced workload will be good for him as well.

I just don't like the idea of going into the season with so much uncertainty especially on the defensive end of the puck.

Id rather give a guy like bogosian a 1 year 1.5 mill contract. Pretty good defenseman that we can actually afford. Our cap aint going to let us do much anyways. Next offseason we can look for a minute muncher with the cap space we have. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, aGENT said:

Who said it has to all has to happen this summer?

Jenner is a UFA next year when we have cap opening up. (I also don't think he'd be prohibitively expensive to trade for as he is expiring).

I'm fine letting Podkolzin develop in to the winger over time. We may also get another winger this draft.

No need to move Myers and the rest all expire this year. Jake may be suspended, terminated or bought out.

Because Benning said they're going to be aggressive this summer?

Because Miller/Bo only have one year until they hit UFA?

Because you risk an Eichel type situation with star unhappiness with EP if you're bad again this year?

5 minutes ago, Tom Sestito said:

Because Benning said they're going to be aggressive this summer?

Because Miller/Bo only have one year until they hit UFA?

Because you risk an Eichel type situation with star unhappiness with EP if you're bad again this year?

'Aggressive' is subjective.

Who says we aren't going to continue improving? Rathbone and Podkolzin alone will continue our progression of being younger and better. As will getting a healthy Petterson back.

I'm not particularly concerned about an 'Eichel type situation' here as yet.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

'Aggressive' is subjective.

Who says we aren't going to continue improving? Rathbone and Podkolzin alone will continue our progression of being younger and better. As will getting a healthy Petterson back.

I'm not particularly concerned about an 'Eichel type situation' here as yet.

Sure, I totally agree it’s subjective. I don’t think that changes the necessity of being aggressive.

We have a two year window here before JT/Bo are UFA’s. Both will require significant pay raises. 

Either you are aggressive to improve into a top team (not just one that squeaks in because of a bad division with no real chance of winning multiple rounds) or you take a step back here and don’t sacrifice the future to make win now moves. 

I don’t like what the team is were we to maintain status quo or close to it.