The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

McKinnon, now there's a team player..

Rate this topic

How about Nathan McKinnon about to re-up on his contract and again willing to take less specifically to help the team sign others to make them better, regrets a bit he didn't take a bridge deal but might go with that this time, we can only hope Petey and Hughes can at least do a bridge, can't really see them taking less maybe but it sure would help our situation if it started to be loaded for both starting the season after next and we'll be fine and I think that is exactly what is going to happen after JB started in on that with JV...

Hope that continues! 

18 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

He didn't take significantly less. This is a commonly spread misconception. 

At that time, he'd played 3 seasons

2013-14: 63 points in 82 games

2014-15: 38 points in 64 games

2015-16: 52 points in 72 games

He signed a $6.3million AAV for 7 years based only that. He chose not to go for the bridge contract, this is true, but he didn't take any kind of huge discount based on his production up to that point.

In 2016-17: 53 points in 82 games. Not that much improvement and nothing mind blowing

Then:

2017-18: 97 points in 74 games

2018-19: 99 points in 82 games

2019-20: 93 points in 69 games

2020-21: 65 points in 48 games.

He blew up into a well over point-per-game player who is criminally underpaid. But he didn't sign his current contract based on his current rate of production. 

Great point. Too often people look back at decisions without considering the situation at the time.

& if Team Walmart gives him secret kickbacks..who knows?

Burrows took a sweetheart-deal back in the day. Always got the feeling many of his NHL peers didn't like what he did.

Anyhow, if a Nate MacK type were on our team for that contract, there'd probably be a league-inquisition, & then subsequent, shoddy Reff/DOPES-shakedown.

58 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

He signed a $6.3million AAV for 7 years based only that. He chose not to go for the bridge contract, this is true, but he didn't take any kind of huge discount based on his production up to that point.

In 2016-17: 53 points in 82 games. Not that much improvement and nothing mind blowing

Then:

He blew up into a well over point-per-game player who is criminally underpaid. But he didn't sign his current contract based on his current rate of production. 

While his point production wasn’t spectacular, his game was always great. 
He wasn’t at point per game, but still well worth his co tract, and you just knew he was gonna break out.  

IMO.  Best player in the game right now.  
McDavid gets more points, but only plays one side of the ice.     
McKinnon is going to win cups in his career. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

While his point production wasn’t spectacular, his game was always great. 
He wasn’t at point per game, but still well worth his co tract, and you just knew he was gonna break out.  

IMO.  Best player in the game right now.  
McDavid gets more points, but only plays one side of the ice.     
McKinnon is going to win cups in his career. 

One player does not make a team

McDavid has to play Forward ,Defenceman, Goalie it appears if his team is to win, that is how bad Oilers are

Oilers and Avalanche 2 very different teams

If McDavid was an Avalanche, he could rest and  go full tilt every shift and the Avalanche would not be worse swapping these players out !

Just now, ba;;isticsports said:

One player does not make a team

McDavid has to play Forward ,Defenceman, Goalie it appears if his team is to win, that is how bad Oilers are

Oilers and Avalanche 2 very different teams

If McDavid was an Avalanche, he could rest and  go full tilt every shift and the Avalanche would not be worse swapping these players out !

You missed the point.   It’s playing style.  
Yes, McDavid would have to do all those things for his team to win, but either way he refuses to play in his own end. 
McKinnon plays to win.  200ft game. 

If McDavid played in Colorado, he still wouldn’t play in his own end.   Why would he?

He doesn’t now.  It’s just not his game.  

McKinnon back checks, blocks the odd shot, hits, etc.....     If he focused 100% offence like McD, his numbers would inflate. 

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Yes, McDavid would have to do all those things for his team to win, but either way he refuses to play in his own end. 

If McDavid played in Colorado, he still wouldn’t play in his own end.   Why would he?

McKinnon back checks, blocks the odd shot, hits, etc.....     If he focused 100% offence like McD, his numbers would inflate. 

Wondering why all the Coaches,Gm's,experts, but most of all Players vote McDavid as the Best player in the world then?

One would think the players would especially know and wanna spread glory around ?

Maybe we should keep him off Team Canada so we can win then

3 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Then:

He basically outproduced his current contract in his second year of the deal.  Looking back I am sure he had wished he signed a bridge deal.  It's a tough call, but looking at how salaries have risen over the years it would have been a safe bet for him to take the bridge deal. 

14 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Wondering why all the Coaches,Gm's,experts, but most of all Players vote McDavid as the Best player in the world then?

One would think the players would especially know and wanna spread glory around ?

Maybe we should keep him off Team Canada so we can win then

Because he can score 120 points a year.  Lol

He is amazing. 
I’m saying there are two ends of the ice. 
One of these fellas plays in just one end, the other only plays in the ozone.  

Like I said before IMO McKinnon is the better player.   I’d take him over McD if I’m trying to build a winning team. 

But the players say he is the best player, not the best points producer

I Give Mckinnon the better team over McDavid

I have seen McDavid skate back plenty, that guy covers more ice in a hockey game than any other player

He was in on something like 65% of the Oilers scoring, 

Hockey is a team sport, you have to rely and have confidence in everyone doing their job to be good

Colorado has the skill to not rely on McKinnon to be better

I think when Mckinnon began practicing with McDavid, is when he broke out

Both are Great players

We differ on our opinions, I played a lot of hockey myself as a centre but i side with the players on this and most experts

7 hours ago, drummerboy said:

McDavid, do we really need him? 

15 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Then:

He also started playing as an 18 years old, while he wasn't lighting up the scoresheet like McDavid and Matthews, he was far from considered a bust too for a 1st overall.   Jack Eichel had slightly better numbers his first three and still signed a 10M$/per deal.  

MacKinnon didn't have the numbers to sign a Matthews/McDavid deal, but I'm pretty sure he could've done better than 6.3M$.  I think 7.5-8M$ would've been closer to market value for a 1st overall with decent numbers and giving up his bridge deal.

McKinnon said he's willing to take a discount on his next deal in order to keep the team together.   Said he wants to win with this team/group.

I say if he get $9M/yr...then that's a friendly team discount.