The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Nolan Patrick requests trade

3 minutes ago, rekker said:

Virtanen for Patrick, take it or leave it. They probably leave it. But really Patrick has been underwhelming when healthy and has injury and health concerns. His value has diminished greatly. 

underwhelmed as a #2 overall I agree. He does have 2 30pt seasons in the league. I recall a player that the Canucks didn't draft super high but had later on in his career, anyone remember a player named Manny Malhotra.... Former high 1st round pick who's game didn't translate into a top 6 offensive F like the team that took him hoped but he carved out a solid career being an ELITE #3C.

Not saying Nolan Patrick can change his game into a #3C like Manny as he has had some other issues but he has a good frame to him and might succeed in a role like that on a new team...he could also get over some previous injury concerns and turn into a top 6 player at some point. Remember all those years ago when people thought Crosby was done and would retire from a couple concussions...took a long time off, got healthy and went on to have a great career, win more Stanley Cups and is still playing great into his mid 30s. 

Patrick is no Crosby, but there is too much to like in Patrick to not at the very least inquire to what the cost would be. Big frame, 200lbs, Right shooting player who is a C but can play the wing.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

underwhelmed as a #2 overall I agree. He does have 2 30pt seasons in the league. I recall a player that the Canucks didn't draft super high but had later on in his career, anyone remember a player named Manny Malhotra.... Former high 1st round pick who's game didn't translate into a top 6 offensive F like the team that took him hoped but he carved out a solid career being an ELITE #3C.

Not saying Nolan Patrick can change his game into a #3C like Manny as he has had some other issues but he has a good frame to him and might succeed in a role like that on a new team...he could also get over some previous injury concerns and turn into a top 6 player at some point. Remember all those years ago when people thought Crosby was done and would retire from a couple concussions...took a long time off, got healthy and went on to have a great career, win more Stanley Cups and is still playing great into his mid 30s. 

Patrick is no Crosby, but there is too much to like in Patrick to not at the very least inquire to what the cost would be. Big frame, 200lbs, Right shooting player who is a C but can play the wing.

I agree he's worth a gamble. Curious what you would offer up as a package. I wouldn't even trade OJ straight across. That may actually be a fair trade but we would be trading from an area of weakness, our young D prospect pool. 

• Cheers 2

24 minutes ago, rekker said:

I agree he's worth a gamble. Curious what you would offer up as a package. I wouldn't even trade OJ straight across. That may actually be a fair trade but we would be trading from an area of weakness, our young D prospect pool. 

I think the optics of moving him now would require it tho. This is a high risk - high reward kind of move for us. 

1 hour ago, rekker said:

Most I would want to give up is OJ. I like OJ and think he could be a good D man for us, he has some size and I thought he made some nice offensive plays and knew when to jump in and even lead the rush with the puck. Does he have areas he needs to improve, heck ya but no player is perfect they all have to train hard and be dedicated to the craft.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

To think that Heiskanen, Makar and Petey went just after him... yikes Philly

After they basically won the lottery moving up to that #2 pick.  But really he was a consensus 1/2 overall by the pundits.  

Frosty as a #3C would be a better fit than Patrick

• Cheers 1

On 6/9/2021 at 11:19 AM, Me_ said:

Edler is done.

He’ll be on another team or retire.

He has threatened to retire if traded.

So if he’s not re-signed, I’m not sure if he signs with another team…

Totally agreed!! Let's just send him off on a classy tweet by the Canucks PR please.... we all appreciate what he's done over the years.. but it's really time to move on!! Why keep beating on an old machine? he deserves to either play on a contender or return home to Sweden!

• Sad 1
  • Vintage 1

20 hours ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

To think that Heiskanen, Makar and Petey went just after him... yikes Philly

The plan in Philadelphia was to use one of Frost or Patrick to replace Giroux long term. Of course, Pettersson would be completely capable of doing that and Heiskanen would really shore up their defense but that was the plan. Clearly it failed, so Philly has to find a way to cut their losses and get something useful, like a top nine forward, backup goalie or top four defenseman so they can enhance their team. Frost could still be good enough to be a top six forward but he won't replace Giroux. Frost has had great success in the AHL, so I wouldn't put it past him to push his way into the league as a 2C or a RW. He won't replace Giroux though or at least I doubt it. 

Oh Patrick is worth a gamble alright. 

Virtanen for Patrick straight across,

Vancouver gambles whether or not Nolan can be healthy in body.

Philly gambles whether or not Virtanen can be healthy in mind. 

I dont see many better options for an often injured, very under-performing “woopeedoo second overall pick”.  

For the record, I think Jake is just a dumb rich kid playing in his home town in front of “his homies”. I dont think much will come from his civil suit, except for a hard lesson in life and a kick in the bank account balls. 

It really is a fair trade for Philly. At least Virtanen can play a preseason without “migraines”.

(For the record, i dont care if Virtanen is “guilty or not guilty”. He is still dumb as dog doo for even getting in a situation like this. His career in Vancouver is over either way....much like how Patrick is done in Philly)

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

On 6/7/2021 at 5:49 PM, Quantum said:

Philly wishes they drafted Petey instead of Nolan Patrick.

I was pretty sure Nolan Patrick was gonna be Seattle Kraken bound anyways. They're gonna be selling low on Patrick this summer. I don't think Patrick has had a healthy season since 2016.

OJ for Patrick isn't a bad swap of underperforming high draft picks. I don't hate it. But I would rather have Juolevi as a depth guy instead of being dealt but if you can make Patrick a 3C that would be a big win and Benning loves to try and rehabilitate former lottery picks (see: Pouliot, Del Zotto).

I think OJ was the hardest hit by the covid. He was getting on a roll before then. I like the look of his scoring upside and some physicality ie his hit on Tchuk. I'd love as a 7 man for this coming season. He also showed some passing skills. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

12 hours ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

Oh Patrick is worth a gamble alright. 

Virtanen for Patrick straight across,

Vancouver gambles whether or not Nolan can be healthy in body.

Philly gambles whether or not Virtanen can be healthy in mind. 

I dont see many better options for an often injured, very under-performing “woopeedoo second overall pick”.  

For the record, I think Jake is just a dumb rich kid playing in his home town in front of “his homies”. I dont think much will come from his civil suit, except for a hard lesson in life and a kick in the bank account balls. 

It really is a fair trade for Philly. At least Virtanen can play a preseason without “migraines”.

(For the record, i dont care if Virtanen is “guilty or not guilty”. He is still dumb as dog doo for even getting in a situation like this. His career in Vancouver is over either way....much like how Patrick is done in Philly)

Virtanen for Patrick would be a fair trade. Neither has blossomed since their draft year. I’m worried about Patrick though. Another concussion, and what would happen to his career? Virtanen, I think, would have the longer career since he hasn’t been as injury riddled as Patrick has been. Would take the gamble, but it’s a really high risk on whether Patrick can actually remain healthy, at all. 

I think it is crazy to think Patrick for Virtanen is a fair trade.

Even pre-allegation, Virtanen had no value at his production and cap hit.  Add in the bad optics of bringing in an alleged rapist to your organization and no one is going to want to touch Jake even if you waived him… at least until the situation is cleared up in a year or two.  He is probably going to be playing in the KHL next year if anywhere after being bought out.

Patrick for Juolevi probably doesn’t get the deal done as there would be teams who would likely offer more.  

22 hours ago, Provost said:

I think it is crazy to think Patrick for Virtanen is a fair trade.

Even pre-allegation, Virtanen had no value at his production and cap hit.  Add in the bad optics of bringing in an alleged rapist to your organization and no one is going to want to touch Jake even if you waived him… at least until the situation is cleared up in a year or two.  He is probably going to be playing in the KHL next year if anywhere after being bought out.

Patrick for Juolevi probably doesn’t get the deal done as there would be teams who would likely offer more.  

I mean Patrick is broken goods. He can’t seem to remain healthy - what’s a player like that worth? Virtanen might need a fresh start somewhere else, and maybe Philly is the place for him. I don’t know. That’s assuming that the Flyers want to take a, ahem, flyer, on him. 

I’m not sure if Philly is going to get a good return for Patrick. No team is going to offer anything remotely to what Philly might be asking for Patrick. 

• Haha 1