The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Nolan Patrick requests trade

On 6/9/2021 at 4:53 PM, rekker said:

I agree he's worth a gamble. Curious what you would offer up as a package. I wouldn't even trade OJ straight across. That may actually be a fair trade but we would be trading from an area of weakness, our young D prospect pool. 

Depends what youre gambling, I wouldn't even trade Juolevi for him. Juolevi, from what Ive seen, looks like he's going to at least meet his floor. If OJ becomes a reliable every game player, he's worth more than Nolan Patrick. I didn't like Patrick coming into the draft, didn't see anything that screams "all star", and he's injury prone to boot. I'll take my chances with OJ who looked very good in parts of the season. 3rd - 4th round pick for Patrick and perhaps throw in the rapist, why not?

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I mean Patrick is broken goods. He can’t seem to remain healthy - what’s a player like that worth? Virtanen might need a fresh start somewhere else, and maybe Philly is the place for him. I don’t know. That’s assuming that the Flyers want to take a, ahem, flyer, on him. 

I’m not sure if Philly is going to get a good return for Patrick. No team is going to offer anything remotely to what Philly might be asking for Patrick. 

There is a lot of spec between not getting full value and getting negative value… which is what Virtanen is.  He had had one really food 6 week stretch in his career ( the middle of the pre-Covid season), and has otherwise a 3rd line winger.

He wasn’t even producing well as a 4th line winger this past season and then add on being in the middle of a sexual assault investigation.  He is also owed $3.4 million this year in real dollars.

Juolevi is more comparable to Patrick and still probably needs a sweetener on our end to best other offers.

9 minutes ago, Provost said:

There is a lot of spec between not getting full value and getting negative value… which is what Virtanen is.  He had had one really food 6 week stretch in his career ( the middle of the pre-Covid season), and has otherwise a 3rd line winger.

He wasn’t even producing well as a 4th line winger this past season and then add on being in the middle of a sexual assault investigation.  He is also owed $3.4 million this year in real dollars.

Juolevi is more comparable to Patrick and still probably needs a sweetener on our end to best other offers.

if Jake is cleared by the police in the next few days, maybe he'd be worth something as a throw-in, but there's still that 3.4 mil. No ones going to take him for that money.

Its the mistake Jim keeps making (and hopefully stops making), that needless extra year on a deal. Thankfully this time the buy out is so good its foolish not to do it and the team can move on. 

OJ + a very late pick is the most I'd want Jim to put to Patrick, and even then I'd be worried. But if Patrick stays healthy it could be a steal. Its a big risk tho. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

if Jake is cleared by the police in the next few days, maybe he'd be worth something as a throw-in, but there's still that 3.4 mil. No ones going to take him for that money.

Its the mistake Jim keeps making (and hopefully stops making), that needless extra year on a deal. Thankfully this time the buy out is so good its foolish not to do it and the team can move on. 

OJ + a very late pick is the most I'd want Jim to out to Patrick, and even then I'd be worried. But if Patrick stays healthy it could be a steal. Its a big risk tho. 

In our current build of the roster we’d likely need a healthy OJ more than a healthy Patrick.  I don’t see where Patrick fits into our team.  Is he an upgrade on Petey, Bo, or Miller at centre?  Is he a centre who we could rely on playing a defensive (D zone starts, and PK) role?  

If we are trading for Patrick I’d say he’s at most our second round pick, and a lesser prospect, like Lind.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

In our current build of the roster we’d likely need a healthy OJ more than a healthy Patrick.  I don’t see where Patrick fits into our team.  Is he an upgrade on Petey, Bo, or Miller at centre?  Is he a centre who we could rely on playing a defensive (D zone starts, and PK) role?  

If we are trading for Patrick I’d say he’s at most our second round pick, and a lesser prospect, like Lind.  

I guess I'd be hopping he'd be what we wanted Jake to be on the top 6 RW. Fast, skilled, not as big as Jake but not small. 

If Lind is the primary from us thats even better. 

24 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

OJ + a very late pick is the most I'd want Jim to put to Patrick, and even then I'd be worried. But if Patrick stays healthy it could be a steal. Its a big risk tho. 

There is an almost zero percent chance he gets cleared by the police... it doesn't really work that way.  Unless they gathered some clear evidence that the woman was lying, it would be Crown prosecutors simply saying they aren't laying charges because of no likelihood of conviction.  Then the civil case has to wind its way through the courts.

Like you said, even absent that no one is going to want an underperforming player for high dollars.

42 minutes ago, Provost said:

There is an almost zero percent chance he gets cleared by the police... it doesn't really work that way.  Unless they gathered some clear evidence that the woman was lying, it would be Crown prosecutors simply saying they aren't laying charges because of no likelihood of conviction.  Then the civil case has to wind its way through the courts.

Like you said, even absent that no one is going to want an underperforming player for high dollars.

sorry thats what I meant by "cleared". Just being lazy.

Any team that does have Jake on their radar is just going to wait for a buyout now anyway. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

1 minute ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

We cant till after ED

yeah thats what I was thinking as well, I don't see Seattle picking up Holtby so maybe thats a deal Philly likes, we might have to retain 1 mil on Holtby but its sunk money anyway. 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yeah thats what I was thinking as well, I don't see Seattle picking up Holtby so maybe thats a deal Philly likes, we might have to retain 1 mil on Holtby but its sunk money anyway. 

I think its best to keep holtby till trade deadline. Personally think mikey will need about half a season to be ready for the show and probably could get a second rounder for holtby at the TDL.

1 minute ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

I think its best to keep holtby till trade deadline. Personally think mikey will need about half a season to be ready for the show and probably could get a second rounder for holtby at the TDL.

we could pick up someone like big save Dave on the cheap maybe? dunno, just spitballing.

It would be great if Mikey was ready by Christmas, get him a few games in prior to the TDL. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

we could pick up someone like big save Dave on the cheap maybe? dunno, just spitballing.

It would be great if Mikey was ready by Christmas, get him a few games in prior to the TDL. 

Nolan might be worth the risk but so was ferland. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt. Personally i say no. I do find that filling that 3C position is the most important this offseason but a injury prone guy like nolan  umm let someone else roll the dice on him. 

jim needs to nail the 3C position this offseason because its not gonna be our 1st rnd pick so he needs to figure it out. Do whatever it takes but its very important that its the right guy. 

1 hour ago, sassbs said:

Why would anyone want him? He’s riddled with concussion issues.  One solid hit and he’s done for the year or worse! 

Some fans wants that top 3 pick (but has no appetite for tanking) and his draft pedigree is the only thing giving NP the (high) value cause at this point he is damaged goods (as stated by a poster).