The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Why the Canucks should offer Adam Larsson $6,000,000 per season for 5 years

[proposal] Why the Canucks should offer Adam Larsson $6,000,000 per season for 5 years

The Canucks should pay Larsson 6 million over 5 years for the following reasons:

1) The Oilers have intentions of signing Larsson over around 4-4.5 million from what I understand.  If the Canucks make an offer of 6 million, I don’t think it’s likely that Edmonton matches.

2) Larsson fills a huge need for us.  Larsson is a defensive minded RHD that moves the puck reasonably well and skates reasonably well.  Is he an all-star?  No.  What he is however is a very serviceable and solid defensive defenseman that would serve as the perfect “ying” to Hughes’ “yang.”  

3) Other defensemen will either cost huge money, assets, or unfavorable term.  Hamilton would cost north of 9 million while Seth Jones would cost up front assets + north of 9 million after next season.  Hampus Lindholm would also cost assets and Ryan Murray has too many injury issues....and likely isn’t a true top pairing dman.  Lastly, David Savard, 30, doesn’t have a style of game that will age particularly well.  Big gritty physical defensemen tend to age quite poorly and drastically around the age of 30.

4) 6 million won’t blow the internal cap of its lid.  That’s always one of my biggest fears in paying someone 9-10 million dollars AAV - you pretty much kill “buy in” and everyone then wants big money.    Look at the Boston Bruins for a perfect example of how to perfectly manage one’s team cap.  Look at those cap hits to guys like Bergeron, Krejcki, Marchand, Pastrnak, etc.  Is it of any surprise that they have been as good for as long as they have?

I realize that paying Larsson 6 million over 5 years is unfavorable, but it’s not god awful either.   Unfortunately, the Canucks have a MAJOR need for a top pairing “all situations” dman that can successfully replace Edler, and Larsson is literally the only guy in this years UFA that can do that.  

Offering Larsson 4.5 million over 4 years Is a cute love story, but that kind of offer wouldn’t sway Larsson to leave Edmonton.  

Patel’s verdict:  

1) Say good-bye to Edler and bring in Larsson.  Edler money goes to Larsson.   

Edited by Patel Bure
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • RoughGame 3

6 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

[proposal] Why the Canucks should offer Adam Larsson $6,000,000 over 5 years

2) Larsson fills a huge need for us.  Larsson is a defensive minded RHD that moves the puck reasonably well and skates reasonably well.  Is he an all-star?  No.  What he is however is a very serviceable and solid defensive defenseman that would serve as the perfect “ying” to Hughes’ “yang.” 

Patel’s verdict:  

1) Say good-bye to Edler and bring in Larsson.  Edler money goes to Larsson.   

You may not recall, but Luke Schenn was an excellent "ying" to Hughes' "yang". 

There is a guy who is just as good to play that role at $3.0M cap hit and his name is Travis Hamonic.  Adam Larsson is not a $6.0M over five years type d-man.

Hughes had a tough season, but he's going to be the guy carrying the mail for many years to come.  He won't need a babysitter at $6.0M cap hit for the next five years.

Hamonic at 3 years x $3.0M cap hit >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Larsson at 5 years x $6.0M

• Cheers 3

Overpaying for average UFAs is not a path to success.

We already did that for Myers, giving him top pairing money.

We have possible cheap short term bodies in Edler and Hamonic who can fill holes over the next 1-3 years.  That buys us time to find replacements.

Mayrb we can find one in trade… maybe we get one in this year’s draft.

Larsson isn’t the guy to spend all your bullets on.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

You may not recall, but Luke Schenn was an excellent "ying" to Hughes' "yang". 

There is a guy who is just as good to play that role at $3.0M cap hit and his name is Travis Hamonic.  Adam Larsson is not a $6.0M over five years type d-man.

Hughes had a tough season, but he's going to be the guy carrying the mail for many years to come.  He won't need a babysitter at $6.0M cap hit for the next five years.

Hamonic at 3 years x $3.0M cap hit >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Larsson at 5 years x $6.0M

Good about Schenn but he wouldn’t be able top defensive assignments.

• Sad 2

Why not just have had Tanev for cheaper and does the same role? Assuming you wanted another defensive dman in addition to Hamonic.

And $6M? Might as well pay more in the range of 8-9M and get a star (even if not quite a superstar) dman instead.

My preference would be to do the following with Edler's $6m cap hit:

Resign Hamonic to around $2-2.5m. He has been a very good partner to Hughes at even strength. I would be targeting higher end guys in 1-2 years to partner Hughes in the long term when we have the cap space.

For next season, I think we need an Edler replacement to partner with Schmidt. And the guy I would target is Jamie Oleksiak. He could be signed for somewhere between $2m-3m. He is not known as an offensive force but 6'7", 255lb, averaging 20.5 mins/game, plays PK, good underlying stats.

Oleksiak Schmidt

Hughes Hamonic

Juolevi Myers

(Rathbone)

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

We need to start being more realistic on who we can afford. These are fun and all but sheesh we need gap players for this upcoming season. Guys on 1 year prove it deals n stuff. 3rd line center and 3rd line winger even a 4th line center dammit lol i dunno if we be able to give anyone much money after petey n quinns deals are done. What we have like 5 or 6 mill to fill the rest of the roster lol 

• Like 1

make trades for more draft picks so we dont lose a motte  or gadovich no need to sign at freeagency draft more kids  grow internally  non of this big contracts that end up failing like eriksson sutter roussel   id even trade pearson  to kings for draft picks 

3 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

make trades for more draft picks so we dont lose a motte  or gadovich no need to sign at freeagency draft more kids  grow internally  non of this big contracts that end up failing like eriksson sutter roussel   id even trade pearson  to kings for draft picks 

JB gave pearson a NTC for first 2 seasons

14 minutes ago, Lil B From The Pack said:

that doesn't sound like a good idea.

however I can see benning doing this.

The good news is that is move likely wouldn’t happen anyways, unless Benning was successful in moving Eriksson or Beagle+Roussel.