The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Canucks and Seattle (and beyond)

21 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Loui will be bought out, saves us 2 million on cap.

Holtby will go to Seattle

Only way we move the 9OA is if its for immediate help like we did to acquire Miller. If there's an opportunity to flip 9OA with someone for Seth Jones under the condition that he will resign in Vancouver, then great. If not, just make the pick.

Loui buyout cost us 4 mill in cap this year and 1 next. Play him in the minors and it'll cost us 4,875,000 and nothing next year. I think it would be wise to play him in the minors and use the buyouts on the likes of Virtanens, Roussels and Beagles of the team.

If we hear Seattle is not interested in Holtby we should be offering some kind of incentive 2022 3rd rounder, 2nd if needed.

Personally I think we are better off drafting at the 9th spot, unless we are getting a bonified 20-23 year old star that fits our needs

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, CR7 said:

Loui buyout cost us 4 mill in cap this year and 1 next. Play him in the minors and it'll cost us 4,875,000 and nothing next year. I think it would be wise to play him in the minors and use the buyouts on the likes of Virtanens, Roussels and Beagles of the team.

If we hear Seattle is not interested in Holtby we should be offering some kind of incentive 2022 3rd rounder, 2nd if needed.

Personally I think we are better off drafting at the 9th spot, unless we are getting a bonified 20-23 year old star that fits our needs

We want Beagle back if healthy, Virtanen costs us 50k cap hit to buy out. Very little saved by buying out Roussel, I'd rather see if he can return to the level he was at before the knee injury, he was awesome in his firtlst season here.

Same idea, but different players:

Instead of Danault and Larsson with the freed up cap space, try and go after Andreas Athanasiaou, and find a way to be able to afford Dougie Hamilton......or sell Hamilton on the idea of coming to Vancouver.    The cap difference between AA and PD won’t be the same as the cap difference between AL and DH but it might come within ball park range.

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Podkolzin

Roussel-Athanasiou-Hoglander 

Motte-Beagle-MacEwen

Schmidt-Hamilton

Hughes-Hamonic

Rathbone-Fantenberg

2 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

We want Beagle back if healthy, Virtanen costs us 50k cap hit to buy out. Very little saved by buying out Roussel, I'd rather see if he can return to the level he was at before the knee injury, he was awesome in his firtlst season here.

It was more a reference to the contracts I don't like more than the players who have them. Beagle when healthy is very effective 4th/PK guy, just way too expensive, same goes for Rous. Jake I think it's time to move on, regardless of the accusations he is facing, he has never lived up to potential. 2021-2022 will be an interesting season, probably fighting for the 4th and last playoff spot in the Pacific. Where my focus is at is next off season. 30 million off the books minus the raises Petey and Huggy get, will be interesting.

27 minutes ago, CR7 said:

It was more a reference to the contracts I don't like more than the players who have them. Beagle when healthy is very effective 4th/PK guy, just way too expensive, same goes for Rous. Jake I think it's time to move on, regardless of the accusations he is facing, he has never lived up to potential. 2021-2022 will be an interesting season, probably fighting for the 4th and last playoff spot in the Pacific. Where my focus is at is next off season. 30 million off the books minus the raises Petey and Huggy get, will be interesting.

Pretty damn frustrating that jake went from 18 goals the prior season to 5 this year. 18 goals is pretty good and woulda been a fine guy for the 3rd line but well ya know its jake.

29 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Pretty damn frustrating that jake went from 18 goals the prior season to 5 this year. 18 goals is pretty good and woulda been a fine guy for the 3rd line but well ya know its jake.

Would be great if consistent, but alas it is Jake and that is too much to ask for. Still a 6th overall pick taking 5 years to hit close to 20 goals... Damn... At least we didn't draft Dal Colle that year, that is a positive I guess 

1 hour ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

His nosedive in production could very well be related to covid and the “restrictive lifestyle” that Covid brings with it.  I’d be very interested to see how Jake performs in a post Covid world.  

12 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

His nosedive in production could very well be related to covid and the “restrictive lifestyle” that Covid brings with it.  I’d be very interested to see how Jake performs in a post Covid world.  

Send him out not looking for mentally weak players. When the going get tough we don’t need our players running and hiding.

1 hour ago, CR7 said:

Would be great if consistent, but alas it is Jake and that is too much to ask for. Still a 6th overall pick taking 5 years to hit close to 20 goals... Damn... At least we didn't draft Dal Colle that year, that is a positive I guess 

Hey you never know MDC in a different system might have worked

6 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

Send him out not looking for mentally weak players. When the going get tough we don’t need our players running and hiding.

You might be right, but then I think of Dennis Rodman, and how Phil Knight and the Chicago Bulls maximized Rodman to his full potential.    

I mention Rodman, because Virtanen also seems to be "Rodman like" in terms of his lack of mental toughness and extroversion off the ice/court going a little too far.   What made Jackson a GREAT coach, was the fact that he recognized the individuality of all players.....including Rodman, and catered to these individual differences within reason.    

That's why the Virtanen case intrigues me.   Assuming that all charges are dropped against him and he can resume his playing career, I'm curious to see how he performs in a post covid world.   The guy was on a 20 goal pace with 3rd line minutes + limited/no PP time pre-covid, and so that has to be taken into consideration.  

1 minute ago, Patel Bure said:

You might be right, but then I think of Dennis Rodman, and how Phil Knight and the Chicago Bulls maximized Rodman to his full potential.    

I mention Rodman, because Virtanen also seems to be "Rodman like" in terms of his lack of mental toughness and extroversion off the ice/court going a little too far.   What made Jackson a GREAT coach, was the fact that he recognized the individuality of all players.....including Rodman, and catered to these individual differences within reason.    

That's why the Virtanen case intrigues me.   Assuming that all charges are dropped against him and he can resume his playing career, I'm curious to see how he performs in a post covid world.   The guy was on a 20 goal pace with 3rd line minutes + limited/no PP time pre-covid, and so that has to be taken into consideration.  

Homie Rodman had a championship pedigree before he got to Chicago.....

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

Yep.  He was brought in for his rebounding skills.  Averages 15 rebounds per game in CHI.  Was getting 17 rebound per game years prior to CHI. Insane.

5 minutes ago, BPA said:

Yep.  He was brought in for his rebounding skills.  Averages 15 rebounds per game in CHI.  Was getting 17 rebound per game years prior to CHI. Insane.

Rodman was consistantly one of, if not the, hardest working players (well, except for near the end of his career) during the game.  Guy worked out constantly when he wasn't partying it up in Vegas lol.  Listen to any interviews from other people.  They'll tell you right after the game, Rodman would work out in the weight room for a period of time.  That's right after him busting his balls during the game.  Away from the arena though, guy never probably slept (partying).:lol:

Absolutely zero comparisons to Virtanen.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Vintage 1

45 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Rodman was consistantly one of, if not the, hardest working players (well, except for near the end of his career) during the game.  Guy worked out constantly when he wasn't partying it up in Vegas lol.  Listen to any interviews from other people.  They'll tell you right after the game, Rodman would work out in the weight room for a period of time.  That's right after him busting his balls during the game.  Away from the arena though, guy never probably slept (partying).:lol:

Absolutely zero comparisons to Virtanen.

Party drugs keep you going for a while:P

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Dats hockey said:

I get all that, but my point is that a large part of what made Rodman successful in Chicago, was Jackson’s ability to cater to his individual needs.   Rodman had a championship pedigree, but was spinning out of control prior to his arrival in Chicago.   Jackson helped reign him in however by letting Rodman “be himself” to a certain degree.  Once Jackson left however, Rodman collapsed.  He only played in 33 games after the Bulls disbanded.

Similarly, I’d be interested in seeing Green cater to Virtanen’s individuality a little more.  Let JV play left wing.  Play him in situations where he can keep the game simple and not have to over think.   If JV wants to go to The Roxy after games, don’t hold it against him.  A happy Jake is a productive Jake.  

For all of Jake’s warts, he was on pace to scoring 20 goals before Covid hit.  This, with 3rd line minutes and no PP time.

Operation:  Build Defense for 2021-2022 + Build winner for 2022-2023.

1) 9th OA + Myers + Roussel  (9 million)

2) 9 million for Dougie Hamilton

3) Let Hamonic walk + buyout Virtanen + Eriksson minors = sign Adam Larsson

4) Sutter, Eriksson, and Baertschi money = split amongst Pettersson and Hughes on bridge deals.  

2021-2022:

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Hoglander

Vesey-Lind-Podkolzin

Motte-Graovich-MacEwen

Hughes-Hamilton

Rathbone-Larsson

Juolevi-Schmidt 

Demko 

Holtby

2022-2023

1) Eriksson, Beagle, Holtby, Luongo cap recapture = all off the books.  Invest in forwards.  Massive upgrades over Lind, Vesey, Graovich, and MacEwen.

Edited by Patel Bure

6 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Operation Build Defense:  

I’m going to still assume that Eriksson, Beagle, and Roussel are non-moveable assets while both Myers and Holtby are (whether this is accurate or not, I don’t know).

4) Sutter, Eriksson, and Baertschi money = split amongst Pettersson and Hughes on bridge deals.  

2021-2022:

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Hoglander

Roussel-Lind-Podkolzin

Motte-Graovich-MacEwen

Hughes-Hamilton

Rathbone-Larsson

Juolevi-Schmidt 

Demko 

Holtby

2022-2023

1) Eriksson, Beagle, Holtby, Luongo cap recapture = all off the books.  Invest in forwards.  Massive upgrades over Lind, Roussel, Graovich, and MacEwen.

What happens if Hamilton and Larsson don't want to sign here? 

37 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

What happens if Hamilton and Larsson don't want to sign here? 

Change the strategy.  If Hamilton says no, then go hard after Danault and build up the foundation for having three strong scoring lines for the forseeable future.   Make a smaller signing on the D (ie Ryan Murray or Oleksaik).  Or - sign Danault + lock up Hughes and Petey to longer term deals, while still convincing them to “buy in” by taking slight hometown discounts.

A year later, fill the gaps as originally planned, and become a contender.

Using a 1st to move Myers and Roussel is worth it (in my opinion) IF you can guarantee one of Danault or Hamilton coming here to set the tone for 22-23.  Yes - we would probably still be a bubble team for this coming season even if we got one of those guys, but “the tone” would be set big time for 22-23.  UFA’s at that time would look at our team and would see us as the next big thing.

Edited by Patel Bure

On 6/11/2021 at 2:45 PM, Patel Bure said:

Operation:  Build Defense for 2021-2022 + Build winner for 2022-2023.

2021-2022:

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Hoglander

Vesey-Lind-Podkolzin

Motte-Graovich-MacEwen

Hughes-Hamilton

Rathbone-Larsson

Juolevi-Schmidt 

Demko 

Holtby

2022-2023

1) Eriksson, Beagle, Holtby, Luongo cap recapture = all off the books.  Invest in forwards.  Massive upgrades over Lind, Vesey, Graovich, and MacEwen.

I like Hamilton as a target but it is very risky taking that approach. Maybe that is what JB means by "an aggressive off season"...

Rather than trading our 9oa pick how about this approach:

1. Expose Schmidt to Seattle and he likely gets picked over next best option Gadjovich.

2. Buy out Eriksson, Virtanen, Holtby

3. Trade Silovs + 5th round pick to Oilers for Stalock

4. Resign Pettersson (7m x 3), Hughes (6m x 3), Juolevi (1m x 2), Graovac (750k x 2)

5. Sign UFAs Hamilton (9m x 7), Coleman (4m x 4), Oleksiak (2.8m x 3), Hamonic (2m x 2), Riley Sheahan (1m x 2)

Roster (including all buyouts, penalties and carryover bonuses) comes to $81.1m:

Coleman Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Hoglander

Motte Miller Podkolzin

Roussel Sheahan Highmore

(Graovac)

Oleksiak Hamilton

Hughes Hamonic

Juolevi Myers

(Rathbone)

Demko

(Stalock)

• Cheers 1