The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks announce coaching staff updates

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

14 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Get the puck out of our end as quick as possible. 

-Brad Shaw

Wouldn’t that be a breath of fresh air 

We were far too tentative in the defensive zone, especially with those cute little passes that could be intercepted by aggressive forwards. We victimized ourselves with how those players were used. I'm really sure we will see a night and day difference next season.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

53 minutes ago, oldnews said:

So....

Benning returns.

Green is back.

Clark is back in spite of being virtually already gone lol.

Schmidt (or whomever those reports were supposed to refer to) never requested a trade....

that's a pretty bad batting average for the smarmy drama queens.

They are such loud mouthpieces…

Best was that fire Benning rally of 7 people or whatever it was…

• Haha 3

41 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I like that Baum is being moved further down the line. The defense suffered under his influence. Having a seasoned coach come in as Greenery’s :lol: sole second in command is a great idea. His approach worked wonders for St Louis and Columbus. I can see his involvement along with Travis’ have an effect on who Benning goes after. 

Didn’t catch where Baumgartner is going…

2 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

We were far too tentative in the defensive zone, especially with those cute little passes that could be intercepted by aggressive forwards. We victimized ourselves with how those players were used. I'm really sure we will see a night and day difference next season.

After to listening to that interview which by the way was very in depth. I was interested the whole 20mins. Anyways, a lot of the stuff I heard was quite the opposite of what we’ve been doing. I hear a lot of Green when he talks about hard on the puck etc but from the defensive side, doesn’t sound like we’ll be collapsing waiting for the opposition to make a mistake.

Get the puck and get it out is what I took from that

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I just want to jump in and say it's nice to see more level-headed people around here who value civility over toxicity and ego. 

The bad apples are off working overtime to make their money back from the banner.

Okay, last time I mention the banner I promise :bigblush:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

I agree to a certain degree.   Go tell that to the NYI after Trotz was hired, exact same team MINUS Tavares, their goals against went down like 50 goals, their goals for stayed very close to the same, and basically overnight they became a relevant team.   He's the exception, not the norm.    Quenville's first year was awful, second year outstanding.    There is a small, very small, elite level of NHL coaches out there that can actually make a big difference in their teams fortunes.   Trotz for me at least, is at the top of the pile.    If you can't play defense before he's there, you certainly will learn to soon enough.   Torts can do this for a team for a finite period of time too.   CLB had no business beating TB and having some of the regular seasons they had, but with him it's always the same old story.    Eventually he loses the room, has his favorites and his dog house guys and inevitably ends up unemployed.    Not sure how many more reps he's got.   Might have one more in him but it does work for 3 years or so before the other side comes out.   

The rest of the pack, including Green, are just great coaches, in the NHL for a reason and plug away at it,    Sure there is a pecking order as well but for the most part it doesn't matter who comes and goes, the team isn't going to react a lot differently over a 2 year sample size with basically the same lineup.    Changing the coach does often come with a bump in play, because the players know they are up next IF they don't turn it around.   JB and Green are working their Poile/Trotz game right now...sure hope it works out for us. 

You cannot compare those teams to ours personal wise. IMO and clearly in Jim Benning’s opinion too, TG did well with what he had. We have huge holes in our d, and we need more top 6 forwards to displace guys into our bottom 6. I hate to bring this up because it’s redundant but TT was a huge loss. That is the exact player we need to do the above. We also need another elite C. Bo horvat is amazing. But imagine if he was shuffled down to more of a 2BC or a 3C. We would be a completely different team. IMO we are a Partner for QH and a centre to displace Horvat down the lineup away from being in the Tampa, Colorado discussion. Those are 2 major pieces that can only be drafted and developed. We currently have nobody in the system to fit that description 

Just now, oldnews said:

I liked that interview

This market could use his elaboration on a lot of points - it's a relatively mindless one-liner market - someone that speaks freely about the nuts and bolts on the ice can only lead to less ignorance and cringe in this market's hockey talk.

And he did subtly give Baumer props for using analytics. ;)

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

After to listening to that interview which by the way was very in depth. I was interested the whole 20mins. Anyways, a lot of the stuff I heard was quite the opposite of what we’ve been doing. I hear a lot of Green when he talks about hard on the puck etc but from the defensive side, doesn’t sound like we’ll be collapsing waiting for the opposition to make a mistake.

Get the puck and get it out is what I took from that

Really happy about the Brad Shaw and Ian Clark signing.  I don't know what Jason King does, so don't have an opinion on him.  Hope Baumer can find a place on the coaching roster that allows him to grow...same goes for Gustafson.  First time I've seen a picture of Williams -- telling myself not to judge a book by its cover.

Great interview...great perspectives on how to play the game...great ideas on how to get the most out of certain players (the ones he spoke about)...with what I heard, it seems like a great start to the new coaching "regime". 

It now comes down to whether the players can execute. Coaches can draw up the best plan, try to get the players prepared, do their best Tony Robbins impersonation, but if players are unable to execute, then the results are still the same.

But, I'm hopeful that Brad Shaw will have a positive impact on how the Canucks play in coming seasons.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1