The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks announce coaching staff updates

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

I agree to a certain degree.   Go tell that to the NYI after Trotz was hired, exact same team MINUS Tavares, their goals against went down like 50 goals, their goals for stayed very close to the same, and basically overnight they became a relevant team.   He's the exception, not the norm.    Quenville's first year was awful, second year outstanding.    There is a small, very small, elite level of NHL coaches out there that can actually make a big difference in their teams fortunes.   Trotz for me at least, is at the top of the pile.    If you can't play defense before he's there, you certainly will learn to soon enough.   Torts can do this for a team for a finite period of time too.   CLB had no business beating TB and having some of the regular seasons they had, but with him it's always the same old story.    Eventually he loses the room, has his favorites and his dog house guys and inevitably ends up unemployed.    Not sure how many more reps he's got.   Might have one more in him but it does work for 3 years or so before the other side comes out.   

The rest of the pack, including Green, are just great coaches, in the NHL for a reason and plug away at it,    Sure there is a pecking order as well but for the most part it doesn't matter who comes and goes, the team isn't going to react a lot differently over a 2 year sample size with basically the same lineup.    Changing the coach does often come with a bump in play, because the players know they are up next IF they don't turn it around.   JB and Green are working their Poile/Trotz game right now...sure hope it works out for us. 

You cannot compare those teams to ours personal wise. IMO and clearly in Jim Benning’s opinion too, TG did well with what he had. We have huge holes in our d, and we need more top 6 forwards to displace guys into our bottom 6. I hate to bring this up because it’s redundant but TT was a huge loss. That is the exact player we need to do the above. We also need another elite C. Bo horvat is amazing. But imagine if he was shuffled down to more of a 2BC or a 3C. We would be a completely different team. IMO we are a Partner for QH and a centre to displace Horvat down the lineup away from being in the Tampa, Colorado discussion. Those are 2 major pieces that can only be drafted and developed. We currently have nobody in the system to fit that description 

Just now, oldnews said:

I liked that interview

This market could use his elaboration on a lot of points - it's a relatively mindless one-liner market - someone that speaks freely about the nuts and bolts on the ice can only lead to less ignorance and cringe in this market's hockey talk.

And he did subtly give Baumer props for using analytics. ;)

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

After to listening to that interview which by the way was very in depth. I was interested the whole 20mins. Anyways, a lot of the stuff I heard was quite the opposite of what we’ve been doing. I hear a lot of Green when he talks about hard on the puck etc but from the defensive side, doesn’t sound like we’ll be collapsing waiting for the opposition to make a mistake.

Get the puck and get it out is what I took from that

Really happy about the Brad Shaw and Ian Clark signing.  I don't know what Jason King does, so don't have an opinion on him.  Hope Baumer can find a place on the coaching roster that allows him to grow...same goes for Gustafson.  First time I've seen a picture of Williams -- telling myself not to judge a book by its cover.

Great interview...great perspectives on how to play the game...great ideas on how to get the most out of certain players (the ones he spoke about)...with what I heard, it seems like a great start to the new coaching "regime". 

It now comes down to whether the players can execute. Coaches can draw up the best plan, try to get the players prepared, do their best Tony Robbins impersonation, but if players are unable to execute, then the results are still the same.

But, I'm hopeful that Brad Shaw will have a positive impact on how the Canucks play in coming seasons.

• Hydration 2
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, mordekai said:

Drance is an absolute troll

And he would have said it would have been a poor move for the Canucks if he resigned. Yeah we know how you operate Troll Dance 

• Hydration 3

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I enjoyed this response.

Even the zinger at the end

Screenshot_20210609-200001.png

Good thing I don't listen to the 650 pbp broadcasts.  If any of the media types - including our radio pbp guy Batchelor - circles their wagons around Drance, I'll consider them as complicit in the $&!# disturbing that Drance has been doing, and will treat them accordingly.

16 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

And he would have said it would have been a poor move for the Canucks if he resigned. Yeah we know how you operate Troll Dance 

Yup! Can’t win scenario for jb. He will spin it either way for controversy and click bait

what is sad is the amount of followers and likes he gets on twitter and athletic 

• Hydration 1

1 minute ago, mordekai said:

Yup! Can’t win scenario for jb. He will spin it either way for controversy and click bait

what is sad is the amount of followers and likes he gets on twitter and athletic 

What is also said is people paying for the Athletic lol. If there’s a story on there too bad for them. They can keep it that way lol

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

What on earth makes you think I meant as an assistant?

As-su-me

could be that you're posting in an assistant coach thread about assistant coaches. could be all the direct comparisons to other assistant coaches. could be nobody has ever referred to a head coach as "some sort of capacity" before.

it's not assuming, it's deductive reasoning. connect the dots. 

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I still wish, there was a coach...who managed to take misfit teams and bring them close to the promised land or see significant success year in and year out.  Someone who could take a first year team and take them to the finals...or maybe an international team from a 0-3 deficit and win gold.

If only there was a coach available like that I am sure there'd be interest in finding him a position within the organization right?

Guys...?  Guys right?

No?  Well hey...cool...Baumgartner still though, I mean he's ummm....and then he.....but we were.....ya nm.  

Glad Brown is gone, happy Clarke is here, still wish the team would look at Gallant in some sort of serious capacity because he has that quality coaches who win seem to have and we could use that more than we could use Baumgartners rag it up the wall type defensive accumen

• Hydration 1