The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks announce coaching staff updates

Rate this topic

12 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Good thing I don't listen to the 650 pbp broadcasts.  If any of the media types - including our radio pbp guy Batchelor - circles their wagons around Drance, I'll consider them as complicit in the $&!# disturbing that Drance has been doing, and will treat them accordingly.

I don't think they're circling their wagons around drance, I think both drance and batchelor are probably trying to throw some support behind newell brown, who they've surely crossed paths with plenty in their careers and who by all reports is a really solid guy and a very bright hockey mind. why kick a guy while he's down?

• Hydration 2

38 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

You cannot compare those teams to ours personal wise. IMO and clearly in Jim Benning’s opinion too, TG did well with what he had. We have huge holes in our d, and we need more top 6 forwards to displace guys into our bottom 6. I hate to bring this up because it’s redundant but TT was a huge loss. That is the exact player we need to do the above. We also need another elite C. Bo horvat is amazing. But imagine if he was shuffled down to more of a 2BC or a 3C. We would be a completely different team. IMO we are a Partner for QH and a centre to displace Horvat down the lineup away from being in the Tampa, Colorado discussion. Those are 2 major pieces that can only be drafted and developed. We currently have nobody in the system to fit that description 

I agree... T.T.  was a loss but the mistake was, T.T. was ahead type of acquisitions.  He would be perfect next year.  Regardless, long term he wasn't the answer either.... But it did slow our progression.  Good lesson for Benning.

• Hydration 1

19 minutes ago, tas said:

I don't think they're circling their wagons around drance, I think both drance and batchelor are probably trying to throw some support behind newell brown, who they've surely crossed paths with plenty in their careers and who by all reports is a really solid guy and a very bright hockey mind. why kick a guy while he's down?

Batchelor, in particular, usually isn’t a knob on Twitter so that sounds about right. 

Personally, while I’m fine with some change, Brown has had some solid seasons for Van.

• Hydration 1

1 hour ago, tas said:

could be that you're posting in an assistant coach thread about assistant coaches. could be all the direct comparisons to other assistant coaches. could be nobody has ever referred to a head coach as "some sort of capacity" before.

it's not assuming, it's deductive reasoning. connect the dots. 

I like gallant.  Wanted him pre green.  I would take him over green.  I'd find a spot in the org for him until greens gone if I could.

The guys a helluva coach and all he does is take teams and elevate them.

Problem is coaches like him are like players like robataille.  Super rare and super underrated.

But unlike a player you can retain a gallant in your organization until a coaching position comes available.

Hell is do the same with the hunters in London if I could for scouting and organizational matters.  All they do is find talent and build winners.

In my perfect world we poach gallant and give him a permanent home here in some fashion and Baumgartner is a hotdog slinger in CBJ

• Vintage 1

Just now, Dr. Crossbar said:

That shake up is what we need. Hopefully the fans can let it happen. 

For sure… that’s my hope / fear as well: the (social) media surrounding the team will be a real wet blanket without giving them a chance. 

Still a lot of work to do this offseason but I’m hopeful we get right back on track next year.  

• Hydration 2

30 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I mean, he’s not wrong, but sheesh. <_<

Canucks also had one of the worst power plays last season. Ranked 25th.

It’s a results business, especially for coaches.

Washington has gone through 3 head coaches in that same period from 2017-18 to 2020-21.

Their power play coach, Blaine Forsythe, has survived all those coaching regime changes, and been with the Caps since 2006-07 (in various capacities).

But if Washington has one of the league’s worst power plays next season, for whatever reason, Forsythe could easily lose his job.

The Canucks needed to make some changes in the coaching staff. We can debate the reasons, and where change was most needed, but somebody had to go, especially to make room for a quality hire like Shaw.

Green brought Baumgartner and King up with him from Utica, and Baumer is extremely well liked inside the organization. Baumgartner wasn’t getting fired. At worst, reassigned to a different role. So Brown was the odd man out. And he was the guy responsible for the most obvious failure last season (power play dropping from 12th to 25th, so that’s that.

I mean, of course Newell Brown is a good coach. He’s been working some 30 odd years, and is widely created as an innovator for the way NHL teams work their power plays today.

But I think he also was getting maybe a little stale here, and maybe had lost the room a bit. Just felt like the players needed a fresh start, and some new voices and perspectives. So in come Shaw and Gustafson, Higgins gets reassigned, and Brown moves on.

He isn’t wrong since is a fact but he also chose not to point out they were one of the worst PP last year. Cherry picking stats! 

Clearly brown wasnt getting the job done with or without petey. With his contract expiring it sounds like a great choice for a new voice and new strategy. If we re-sign brown to another 5 years and have still have a terrible PP next year what would the media say? Louie Eriksson version of the coach??

and Canucks pp last year was a true definition of insanity… doing the same thing with same 5 guys and expecting different results 

Edited by mordekai
  • Hydration 1

21 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

For sure… that’s my hope / fear as well: the (social) media surrounding the team will be a real wet blanket without giving them a chance. 

Still a lot of work to do this offseason but I’m hopeful we get right back on track next year.  

Agree 100%. Despite the apparent negativity, or focus on the negative, there are good things happening that we have to allow to happen. If we never allow it to happen, we'll always be a loser, which is what we've always known, which continues the cycle.

The Shaw signing bodes well for next year at a time when we need to be challenged. Kudos on the organization for bringing in a winning/challenging mind.

• Hydration 2