The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks announce coaching staff updates

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, canuktravella said:

ya we have huge holes on d and at center if we need a goalie we can draft one in 2 yrs    demko and dipietro have the nets the next ten yrs not worried bout that you pick a dman at draft and sign a decent third line center 

I wonder if Jake Kielly gets a qualifying offer?

He's now an RFA coming off his $700k ELC

3 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I amcautiously optimistic. Definitely dont want to see the EP and Hughes deals dragging on though. Would rather Benning have a clear idea ahead of the draft what cap he has to work with to avoid panic signings.

I think he has to wait until the ED is over.  For all we know he might be working a deal with Seattle for them to get our '21 second and '22 first plus a prospect for them to select Eriksson (or some such combination).  Or in the absence of such a deal, and they select Holtby.  He needs to know how much "wiggle room" he has before settling on term for the pair

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I love the Shaw hiring. If it works like he indicated it will it will be a huge positive for the team.

Agree !    I'm glad to see some new blood in the coaching ranks.  I would have liked to see Bumgardener gone too - but this is better than nothing and should help!  Good move!

This is a good news day: Clark gets his five years, Brown is gone, Shaw runs the PP not Baumer (https://theprovince.com/sports/canucks-travis-green-picks-veteran-coach-brad-shaw-for-critical-role) and Baumer does the PK. They also now have competent folks to take over from Green if he falters or JB loses faith in him. Next good news would be decent long-term cap-friendly deals for Petey and Hughes, then getting Clarke (or McTavish) in the draft, hearing about some buyouts, LE retiring rather than going to Abbotsford, the Kraken that JV or Holtby (I’m dreaming here), and getting a third line C and RHD in free agency or by trading deadwood and a future draft pick (keep Miller on the first line, as its harder to replace him than a 3rd C). Cant wait to see Podz here. Just hope JB doesn’t overpay in dollars and term for the rebuilt fourth line we need. Let Edler and Sutter walk or play for peanuts and beer.

38 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Agree !    I'm glad to see some new blood in the coaching ranks.  I would have liked to see Bumgardener gone too - but this is better than nothing and should help!  Good move!

Based on results, the only assistant coach deserving of an extension was Clark.  Sorry to see Baumgartner was renewed. Hopefully.he is relegated to cleaning lockers. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Source? Or just speculation? 

Typically contract negotiations arent reported publicly. Its not really speculation, its an educated opinion based on the fact the Canucks waited until his conteact was expiring before talking to him about a new one. You dont think any other teams would have been interested in him? 

1 hour ago, mordekai said:

Shaw told us why it was taking so long on in yesterday’s interview.

Brown was under contract and Shaw and green had to discuss without anyone’s knowledge. They only made the announcement once browns contract was up and not renewed as opposed to firing brown with weeks left in his contract. 
that’s not dragging that’s class!

I was talking about Clark's contract not Brown or Shaw's. Its a completely different situation if you are replacing a guy vs renegotiating to keep a guy. In the latter case, there is no behind the scenes stuff like there is in the former. I mean were they going to hide from Clark that they were talking to Clark about a new contract?

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

I was talking about Clark's contract not Brown or Shaw's. Its a completely different situation if you are replacing a guy vs renegotiating to keep a guy. In the latter case, there is no behind the scenes stuff like there is in the former. I mean were they going to hide from Clark that they were talking to Clark about a new contract?

How do you know the contract wasn’t done for all 4 returning coaches??? 
No reason to think this wasn’t the case and they were just announcing al the coaches for the year like they typically do

Stop parroting our negative media 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Based on results, the only assistant coach deserving of an extension was Clark.  Sorry to see Baumgartner was renewed. Hopefully.he is relegated to cleaning lockers. 

I agree and have been saying the exact same that ALL the coaching staff including Green - excluding Clark - should have been turfed.   Not to mention Uncle Jim.  

We're now going into season 8 with JB and the team actually finished worse off this year that 7 years ago when he took over and we're still going backwards.   This team is years away from being a serious contender.  just watch the playoffs now and try telling me that we can compete with those teams now.  Not a chance..................!

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Probably had an impact but it was also at the point where another team could have tried to sign Clark so could have gone the other way.

Are you suggesting a different team would negotiate with a Canuck coach that had a valid contract?

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

why are you trying so hard to spin this into a negative? 

How is stating the obvious spinning it into a negative?

Leaving the negotiations that long was a risk he would garner interest from elsewhere.

Re-signing him is a good thing. Does that mean there wasnt a significant risk of him not doing so with the delay by Benning? Of course not.

4 minutes ago, mordekai said:

How do you know the contract wasn’t done for all 4 returning coaches??? 
No reason to think this wasn’t the case and they were just announcing al the coaches for the year like they typically do

Stop parroting our negative media 

Well, I guess I believed Benning at his year end presser when he specifically said he had not yet started talks with Clark or the other coaches but would shortly.

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

Are you suggesting a different team would negotiate with a Canuck coach that had a valid contract?

Haha no not negotiate. They would have asked for permission if they wanted to. But are you really so naive to think that Clark or any other coach would not know well ahead of time what their potential options would be if they were not being brought back?