The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks announce coaching staff updates

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, mordekai said:

If you read between the lines of drance post like a lot of his other posts and athletic article which I subscribe too, he might be praising brown but he is also insinuating jb made a bad choice by no re-signing him.

This is the issue I have with drance. 

That may be true, it may not. Drance doesnt usually insinuate though. If he had a criticism about letting Brown go I think he would just say it outright which he didnt do.

People have enough things Drance says to complain about. This comment to me was not a big deal.

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

That may be true, it may not. Drance doesnt usually insinuate though. If he had a criticism about letting Brown go I think he would just say it outright which he didnt do.

People have enough things Drance says to complain about. This comment to me was not a big deal.

it isn't a big deal but he didn't say anything positive about yesterday's hire either...

I am sure most of the true fan base are ecstatic about Shaw being hired 

• Hydration 2

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I don't get it either. 

Do these people never leave the house out of fear of being hit by a bus or struck by lightning as well?

I saw genuine concern Benning would "run out of time". Lots of historical evidence it was a possibility. By all accounts losing Clark would have been a huge loss. So why would people being concerned about that possibly happening be out of the ordinary?

A better question is why doesnt that apply to all the people who were freaking out about how bad it would be to fire Benning or Green? 

People on both sides of any issue have concerns and worries about which way it might go. Insulting one side just because it went the way you thought doesnt make you smarter. You didnt know for a fact they would re-sign him until they did nor did anyone else. Benning easily could have lost Clark by waiting so long. 

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I saw genuine concern Benning would "run out of time". Lots of historical evidence it was a possibility. By all accounts losing Clark would have been a huge loss. So why would people being concerned about that possibly happening be out of the ordinary?

A better question is why doesnt that apply to all the people who were freaking out about how bad it would be to fire Benning or Green? 

People on both sides of any issue have concerns and worries about which way it might go. Insulting one side just because it went the way you thought doesnt make you smarter. You didnt know for a fact they would re-sign him until they did nor did anyone else. Benning easily could have lost Clark by waiting so long. 

There's a lot of conjecture and hyperbole. Sure.

I didn't see anyone' freaking out' about firing either guy as bad. I saw a lot of people not condoning what was approaching something akin to a witch hunt, based on said conjecture, hyperbole and minus a whole metric butt load of context.

Sides? Was there a side that didn't want Clark back? Did I suggest I was 'smarter'? I don't know where you come up with this stuff...

Edited by aGENT
  • Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, mordekai said:

it isn't a big deal but he didn't say anything positive about yesterday's hire either...

I am sure most of the true fan base are ecstatic about Shaw being hired 

I love the Shaw hiring. If it works like he indicated it will it will be a huge positive for the team.

• Like 1
  • Hydration 3

10 minutes ago, aGENT said:

There's a lot of conjecture and hyperbole. Sure.

I didn't see anyone' freaking out' about firing either guy as bad. I saw a lot of people not condoning what was approaching something akin to a witch hunt, based on said conjecture, hyperbole and minus a whole metric butt load of context.

Sides? Was there a side that didn't want Clark back? Did I suggest I was 'smarter'? I don't know where you come up with this stuff...

There were sides in terms of those who thought he would be for sure coming back and those who were concerned he wouldnt be. I am pretty sure everyone wanted him back. 

I didnt see very many people rise to the level of paranoia you claim. I saw lots of people righyly concerned as time dragged on. 

Saying the people who had genuine concerns are paranoud, etc is what is hyperbolic and simply a way to be dismissive toward other people's opinions.

There was always the possibility Clark would not be back simply because the contract talks were delayed for so long. 

13 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

There were sides in terms of those who thought he would be for sure coming back and those who were concerned he wouldnt be. I am pretty sure everyone wanted him back. 

I didnt see very many people rise to the level of paranoia you claim. I saw lots of people righyly concerned as time dragged on. 

Saying the people who had genuine concerns are paranoud, etc is what is hyperbolic and simply a way to be dismissive toward other people's opinions.

There was always the possibility Clark would not be back simply because the contract talks were delayed for so long. 

There were people sure he'd be back? 

I wouldn't say paranoia. Panicky, reactionary and short sighted... Sure.

Of course there was always a possibility. Who's suggesting there wasn't?

5 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

While I am not a fan of Brown and it was time for him to go, I dont see how this is trolling or unrealistic commentary by Drance. 

I mean, Brown has been continuously employed as an NHL assistant coach on various teams since 1996. So saying someone will hire him isnt really an unrealistic idea.

What about all the other lies that he makes up? He is a troll reporter

• Hydration 1

3 hours ago, canuktravella said:

ya we have huge holes on d and at center if we need a goalie we can draft one in 2 yrs    demko and dipietro have the nets the next ten yrs not worried bout that you pick a dman at draft and sign a decent third line center 

I wonder if Jake Kielly gets a qualifying offer?

He's now an RFA coming off his $700k ELC

3 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I amcautiously optimistic. Definitely dont want to see the EP and Hughes deals dragging on though. Would rather Benning have a clear idea ahead of the draft what cap he has to work with to avoid panic signings.

I think he has to wait until the ED is over.  For all we know he might be working a deal with Seattle for them to get our '21 second and '22 first plus a prospect for them to select Eriksson (or some such combination).  Or in the absence of such a deal, and they select Holtby.  He needs to know how much "wiggle room" he has before settling on term for the pair

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I love the Shaw hiring. If it works like he indicated it will it will be a huge positive for the team.

Agree !    I'm glad to see some new blood in the coaching ranks.  I would have liked to see Bumgardener gone too - but this is better than nothing and should help!  Good move!

This is a good news day: Clark gets his five years, Brown is gone, Shaw runs the PP not Baumer (https://theprovince.com/sports/canucks-travis-green-picks-veteran-coach-brad-shaw-for-critical-role) and Baumer does the PK. They also now have competent folks to take over from Green if he falters or JB loses faith in him. Next good news would be decent long-term cap-friendly deals for Petey and Hughes, then getting Clarke (or McTavish) in the draft, hearing about some buyouts, LE retiring rather than going to Abbotsford, the Kraken that JV or Holtby (I’m dreaming here), and getting a third line C and RHD in free agency or by trading deadwood and a future draft pick (keep Miller on the first line, as its harder to replace him than a 3rd C). Cant wait to see Podz here. Just hope JB doesn’t overpay in dollars and term for the rebuilt fourth line we need. Let Edler and Sutter walk or play for peanuts and beer.

38 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Agree !    I'm glad to see some new blood in the coaching ranks.  I would have liked to see Bumgardener gone too - but this is better than nothing and should help!  Good move!

Based on results, the only assistant coach deserving of an extension was Clark.  Sorry to see Baumgartner was renewed. Hopefully.he is relegated to cleaning lockers. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Source? Or just speculation? 

Typically contract negotiations arent reported publicly. Its not really speculation, its an educated opinion based on the fact the Canucks waited until his conteact was expiring before talking to him about a new one. You dont think any other teams would have been interested in him?