The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks announce coaching staff updates

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

32 minutes ago, lmm said:

hey thanks for answering

I assume you meant Rathbone

Duh - stupid me.  That's what comes of copying a link, then doing other things for an hour before pasting, during which time I forgot who the link was about !!!

• Huggy Bear 1

43 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

@wallstreetamigo your rebuttal? You did the same thing with your claim of Toffoli trade= Sergachev trade. I’d love to hear your thoughts 

Sergachev for Drouin is probably one of the worst trades in the history of the NHL.  A top pairing Dman who is still only 22 for a malcontent smallish forward who's career is seemingly going downhill real fast and who may be out of the league in 2-3 years.

On the flip side Benning traded a 2nd round pick and a 150 pound prospect who may never even make it to the NHL for a player, Toffoli, who helped fill the void left by Boeser's injury and helped us make the playoffs where we won a couple of rounds and took Vegas to 7 games.

Those two trades aren't even in the same stratosphere...

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Schmautzie said:

I’d like to see Hoglander on the first unit as well. It’s too bad that Green didn’t try him there at the end of last season but I guess without Pettersson it wouldn’t have really been the true first unit at that point.

But who comes off if Hoglander goes on? My choice would be Horvat. That would at least give us a legitimate PP centre on the second unit.

I am taking Miller off the PP for Hogs. Guy's cross ice passes are atrocious and he attempts them way too often. He can fill that 2nd unit centre role just as much as Horvat.

5 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Everything should revolve around either the Petey or Boeser one timer, a Huggy point shot, or a Horvat bumper play. You do those plays effectively enough and you’re gonna score a ton.

And we can add a Rathbone howitzer and a Gadjovich screen and tip to that repertoire as well

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, Schmautzie said:

I’d like to see Hoglander on the first unit as well. It’s too bad that Green didn’t try him there at the end of last season but I guess without Pettersson it wouldn’t have really been the true first unit at that point.

But who comes off if Hoglander goes on? My choice would be Horvat. That would at least give us a legitimate PP centre on the second unit.

PP #1:

Hoglander

Boeser   Horvat   Petterrson

Hughes

PP #2:

Pearson

Appleton   Miller   Podkolzin

Rathbone

47 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Sergachev for Drouin is probably one of the worst trades in the history of the NHL.  A top pairing Dman who is still only 22 for a malcontent smallish forward who's career is seemingly going downhill real fast and who may be out of the league in 2-3 years.

On the flip side Benning traded a 2nd round pick and a 150 pound prospect who may never even make it to the NHL for a player, Toffoli, who helped fill the void left by Boeser's injury and helped us make the playoffs where we won a couple of rounds and took Vegas to 7 games.

My point was the end result was that the Canucks ended up with nothing but a handful of games out of it. So how can wasting assets be considered a good thing for a still rebuilding team?

The Toffoli trade looked fine if he had actually kept Toffoli. It looks like garbage losing him for nothing after a handful of games. 

"Took Vegas to 7 games". Lets be fair. Demko is the ONLY reason that series went to 7. They dominated Vancouver in every aspect of the game that matters. That would have been over in 5 if Demko was even above average rather than god-like.

Edited by wallstreetamigo

19 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

PP #1:

Hoglander

Boeser   Horvat   Petterrson

Hughes

PP #2:

Pearson

Appleton   Miller   Podkolzin

Rathbone

I’d like to see Appleton on the team as well although my first choice from the Jets would be Andrew Copp. Appleton would come cheaper though.

Hopefully Miller wouldn’t sulk if he was demoted to the second unit.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sean Monahan said:

@wallstreetamigo your rebuttal? You did the same thing with your claim of Toffoli trade= Sergachev trade. I’d love to hear your thoughts 

No I didnt claim that actually.

I said that the net result was Toffoli (let go after a handful of games), Madden, and a 2nd for literally no actual long term benefit to the team.

The Serchachev for Drouin trade was horrible. But at least the habs didnt have nothing at all after a handful of games.

Context matters. 

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Sigh....

Unrealistic, conjecture, hyperbole, opinions as facts... Playing all your greatest hits I see. 

You can play chase your own tail for your encore.

Sigh.......no actual response other than the typical cdc buzzwords that most of you guys dont even use in proper context. Thats always your go to in the end. 

Most stuff posted on cdc is conjecture and opinion. Even from you. Thats kind of the point of cdc actually, a place to express opinions.

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think it's pretty disingenuous to say that Toffoli helped us make the playoffs considering we lost 6 of 10 games he played. The play ins were the reason we made the playoffs and Toffoli did not play in any of the games we won. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

27 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

My point was the end result was that the Canucks ended up with nothing but a handful of games out of it. So how can wasting assets be considered a good thing for a still rebuilding team?

The Toffoli trade looked fine if he had actually kept Toffoli. It looks like garbage losing him for nothing after a handful of games. 

"Took Vegas to 7 games". Lets be fair. Demko is the ONLY reason that series went to 7. They dominated Vancouver in every aspect of the game that matters. That would have been over in 5 if Demko was even above average rather than god-like.

That's not correct.  You said the Sergachev/Drouin trade wasn't worse than the Toffoli trade.  It was.  It was one of the worst trades in NHL history.  Benning could have given away a 2nd round pick for free and added Madden to the deal and it still would not have been worse than trading a top pairing 22 year old Dman for a malcontent small forward who will be out of the league in a couple of years.

29 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That's not correct.  You said the Sergachev/Drouin trade wasn't worse than the Toffoli trade.  It was.  It was one of the worst trades in NHL history.  Benning could have given away a 2nd round pick for free and added Madden to the deal and it still would not have been worse than trading a top pairing 22 year old Dman for a malcontent small forward who will be out of the league in a couple of years.

Read what I said again.

I said at the end of the day, the result was effectively the Canucks trading Toffoli, Madden, a 2nd, and Schaller (cap dump) for nothing beyond a handful of games.

Because thats what the Canucks ended up with due to mismanagement.

Long term assets traded for a guy they let walk after a handful of games. Contenders make those kinds of trades, not bubble at best teams. 

Say what you will about Madden. But Madden and a 2nd was worth more than a handful of games and could have been used much more effectively.

People say its no big deal Toffoli left or that he wouldnt have made a difference this past season. I disagree on both points but even if we accept that at face value, then how do you explain why Benning thought we were one Toffoli away from being a cup contender in the first place? He shouldnt have traded for him to begin with based on where the team is at. But once he did it only made sense if they kept him.

5 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Having depth and a position of strength isn’t a bad thing. If Wallstedt is the BPA at 9, I 100% recommend taking him. 

Can always find a player in a position of need and acquire him using DiPietro, Silovs, Wallstedt as a trade chip. 

I've been thinking about that too. Imagine having Walls and T in the playoffs in a couple years. And DiPietro in the holster. Maybe, especially looking at Price and his value in the playoffs. 

But if he's gone he's gone. 

10 minutes ago, Ur a Towel said:

But that's not what happened at all. We traded for Toff because Boeser was out and the team wanted to make the playoffs to give them experience and once you're there, who knows what happens, not because he thought we were cup contenders.  We can debate whether that was a right move or not, but there's positives/negatives to both sides. The playoff experience most likely helps our young players out a lot for the next time we get back in. Madden and the pick, who knows if either ends up making the NHL. Most likely Toffoli was brought in with the thought of re-signing him as well, which obviously couldn't happen with Covid stalling the cap increase which all GMs were told would go up. This isn't bad or mismanagement, but an unfortunate situation that occurred.

Also, say we re-sign Toffoli and he has a terrible year on our roster, are we really still discussing this or would it then be people complaining about management signing another overpriced contract for an underperforming player?

Exactly… its been debated the entire year…

• Cheers 2