The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks announce coaching staff updates

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Sigh....

Unrealistic, conjecture, hyperbole, opinions as facts... Playing all your greatest hits I see. 

You can play chase your own tail for your encore.

Sigh.......no actual response other than the typical cdc buzzwords that most of you guys dont even use in proper context. Thats always your go to in the end. 

Most stuff posted on cdc is conjecture and opinion. Even from you. Thats kind of the point of cdc actually, a place to express opinions.

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Hydration 1
1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Sergachev for Drouin is probably one of the worst trades in the history of the NHL.  A top pairing Dman who is still only 22 for a malcontent smallish forward who's career is seemingly going downhill real fast and who may be out of the league in 2-3 years.

On the flip side Benning traded a 2nd round pick and a 150 pound prospect who may never even make it to the NHL for a player, Toffoli, who helped fill the void left by Boeser's injury and helped us make the playoffs where we won a couple of rounds and took Vegas to 7 games.

Those two trades aren't even in the same stratosphere...

I think it's pretty disingenuous to say that Toffoli helped us make the playoffs considering we lost 6 of 10 games he played. The play ins were the reason we made the playoffs and Toffoli did not play in any of the games we won. 

• Hydration 2
  • Vintage 1
27 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

My point was the end result was that the Canucks ended up with nothing but a handful of games out of it. So how can wasting assets be considered a good thing for a still rebuilding team?

The Toffoli trade looked fine if he had actually kept Toffoli. It looks like garbage losing him for nothing after a handful of games. 

"Took Vegas to 7 games". Lets be fair. Demko is the ONLY reason that series went to 7. They dominated Vancouver in every aspect of the game that matters. That would have been over in 5 if Demko was even above average rather than god-like.

That's not correct.  You said the Sergachev/Drouin trade wasn't worse than the Toffoli trade.  It was.  It was one of the worst trades in NHL history.  Benning could have given away a 2nd round pick for free and added Madden to the deal and it still would not have been worse than trading a top pairing 22 year old Dman for a malcontent small forward who will be out of the league in a couple of years.

29 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That's not correct.  You said the Sergachev/Drouin trade wasn't worse than the Toffoli trade.  It was.  It was one of the worst trades in NHL history.  Benning could have given away a 2nd round pick for free and added Madden to the deal and it still would not have been worse than trading a top pairing 22 year old Dman for a malcontent small forward who will be out of the league in a couple of years.

Read what I said again.

I said at the end of the day, the result was effectively the Canucks trading Toffoli, Madden, a 2nd, and Schaller (cap dump) for nothing beyond a handful of games.

Because thats what the Canucks ended up with due to mismanagement.

Long term assets traded for a guy they let walk after a handful of games. Contenders make those kinds of trades, not bubble at best teams. 

Say what you will about Madden. But Madden and a 2nd was worth more than a handful of games and could have been used much more effectively.

People say its no big deal Toffoli left or that he wouldnt have made a difference this past season. I disagree on both points but even if we accept that at face value, then how do you explain why Benning thought we were one Toffoli away from being a cup contender in the first place? He shouldnt have traded for him to begin with based on where the team is at. But once he did it only made sense if they kept him.

5 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Having depth and a position of strength isn’t a bad thing. If Wallstedt is the BPA at 9, I 100% recommend taking him. 

Can always find a player in a position of need and acquire him using DiPietro, Silovs, Wallstedt as a trade chip. 

I've been thinking about that too. Imagine having Walls and T in the playoffs in a couple years. And DiPietro in the holster. Maybe, especially looking at Price and his value in the playoffs. 

But if he's gone he's gone. 

10 minutes ago, Ur a Towel said:

But that's not what happened at all. We traded for Toff because Boeser was out and the team wanted to make the playoffs to give them experience and once you're there, who knows what happens, not because he thought we were cup contenders.  We can debate whether that was a right move or not, but there's positives/negatives to both sides. The playoff experience most likely helps our young players out a lot for the next time we get back in. Madden and the pick, who knows if either ends up making the NHL. Most likely Toffoli was brought in with the thought of re-signing him as well, which obviously couldn't happen with Covid stalling the cap increase which all GMs were told would go up. This isn't bad or mismanagement, but an unfortunate situation that occurred.

Also, say we re-sign Toffoli and he has a terrible year on our roster, are we really still discussing this or would it then be people complaining about management signing another overpriced contract for an underperforming player?

Exactly… its been debated the entire year…

• Hydration 2
2 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Head O'brien talked about Shaw, crediting him for helping make it to the NHL. Apparently he's had a hand in not only developing guys like Werenski, Seth Jones, but Colton Parayko and Petrangelo as well, quietly known as the D-man whisperer. Could bode well for OJ, Hughes and Rathbone if Shaw can put some rocket fuel in their development

Good take…

8 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Having depth and a position of strength isn’t a bad thing. If Wallstedt is the BPA at 9, I 100% recommend taking him. 

Can always find a player in a position of need and acquire him using DiPietro, Silovs, Wallstedt as a trade chip. 

Especially now that Clark has been extended for a further 5 years....

• Hydration 1
9 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

I agree with this principle except when it involves taking a goalie in the top half of the first round. 

it's too easy to find them in later rounds and their trade value is always too low because there's always a dozen serviceable goalies on the market. 

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
On 6/7/2021 at 11:23 PM, wallstreetamigo said:

Sergachev for Drouin was brutal. No denying that. But at the same time, Benning wound up essentially trading Toffoli, Madden, a 2nd, and Schaller (cap dump) for literally nothing in return. That "trade" is kind of much worse.

I think this summer is going to show everyone exactly how much Benning has learned and whether we can be hopeful he can build an entire team. Because by the time he drafts one the older cord guys will be aged out. If he does more of the same mistakes as previously, we should all be very concerned. If he makes good moves it should help restore some faith in him going forward from us doubters.

5 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

No I didnt claim that actually.

I said that the net result was Toffoli (let go after a handful of games), Madden, and a 2nd for literally no actual long term benefit to the team.

The Serchachev for Drouin trade was horrible. But at least the habs didnt have nothing at all after a handful of games.

Context matters. 

You’re right, you didn’t say they were equal. You said it was worse 

and I’d love to hear why you think Benning wouldn’t want to sign Clark to a five year contract. You seem to think Benning was forced to do it by “leaving it until the last minute”. I tend to think Benning would’ve been more than happy to lock Clark up for five  years. 

• Hydration 2
  • Haha 1
6 hours ago, Schmautzie said:

Hopefully Miller wouldn’t sulk if he was demoted to the second unit.

Rathbone's the one who'd have grounds to sulk.  You can't do much with 3 seconds of powerplay

• Haha 1
10 hours ago, KariyaSakicAnderson said:

Brad Shaw it seems will be running the Forwards and PP while giving Baumgartner some input and possible direction on the D and PK side, that seems to be his bigger role an possibly the associate coach, Green's right hand man, next in command

Here is an article in the province by Kuzma today and what Green and Shaw mention. 

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-travis-green-picks-veteran-coach-brad-shaw-for-critical-role/wcm/16aeaf77-c0e9-4aa6-936c-4f18fb7cb22f/amp/

Canucks: Travis Green picks veteran coach Brad Shaw for critical role

'At times, I’ve been told I’m too detailed or too finite. I’ve gotten better and learned simplicity is a real important aspect ... ' — new Canucks assistant Brad Shaw

Author of the article:Ben Kuzma

Publishing date:Jun 10, 2021 • Last Updated 6 hours ago • 4 minute read

Travis Green, pictured, will be aided by the hiring of Brad Shaw as a Canucks' assistant coach.

The first conversation lasted an hour.

The second one went on for two hours.

When Brad Shaw wasn’t afforded an opportunity to interview as a replacement for departed Columbus head coach John Tortorella — the assistant was surprisingly not retained by the NHL club — Vancouver Canucks head coach Travis Green quickly sought permission to interview the free agent.

What the Blue Jackets may have lost in their curious decision is what the Canucks hoped to have gained Wednesday in hiring the well-travelled and highly respected Shaw as a key assistant to Green.

The former defensive defenceman, who logged 377 games with four NHL teams, hasn’t only guided top blueliners in a trio of coaching stops, his ability to deploy responsible mindsets will resonate with a club that has to stop the bleeding.

The league’s 26th-ranked defence and 17th-rated penalty kill will get a boost from Shaw’s knowledge because the Jackets sported the best kill in the 2018-19 season. He was also instrumental in helping Seth Jones, Zach Werenski and Vladislav Gavrikov develop into top-tier defencemen and reliable rearguards. It’s why Shaw’s name popped up in the past to fill head-coaching vacancies in Arizona, New York (Rangers), Buffalo and New Jersey, and why the Canucks will deploy the 57-year-old Cambridge, Ont., native in an expanded role.

Nolan Baumgartner will continue to work with defencemen and run the penalty kill but Shaw won’t be far away for some sage advice while helping direct forwards and the power play.

“Brad brings a lot to the table,” said Green. “Everyone looks at him like he’s a defensive coach, but he’s a lot more than that. He’s a very sharp hockey mind and is going to be able to touch a lot of areas of our team and be a good influence on our staff.

“We’ve (Baumgartner and Green) been together for four years and sometimes a different point of view and different set of eyes is helpful. That was a big part of it and I really enjoy talking to people who have a mind for the game. And as a coach, you want to be challenged and broaden your mind and ideas. He’s a new voice for me and somebody I can lean on and he’ll have some good words for Baumer.”

Columbus Blue Jackets head coach John Tortorella stands in the bench in the game against the Detroit Red Wings in May 2021. 

An example of Shaw’s expanded capabilities came in the 2019 playoffs. He worked with Tortorella and assistant Brad Larsen, who will interview to replace Tortorella, and the trio devised a plan that completely choked the Tampa Bay Lightning, winners of the President’s Trophy. A shocking first-round sweep of the high-octane Lightning, who had four of the league’s top-six scorers and were held to eight series goals, was made possible by a staying-above-the-puck approach and mucking and grinding through the neutral zone.

It worked for the first round, but the Jackets were eliminated in six games by the Boston Bruins in the second. Still, Shaw made a statement that he wasn’t a one-dimensional coach.

The defensive side is something I’ve done for a long time and always had a huge interest in,” he said. “Your defence has a big role and how they see the game, react and finding solutions intrigues me and always will. It’s always a challenge to get that message across.

“I know how I want players to play with habits and attention to detail. To have my hands in everything and have a little bit of a different job description is exciting. With Baumer, I hope to augment him in different ways by getting my point across and not being offensive.

“We’re all in this together. It’s getting to a comfort level where you can say what’s on your mind and by being totally honest, we’ll get further ahead. For the defence and forwards, certain habits are important across the board.

“At times, I’ve been told I’m too detailed or to finite. I’ve gotten better and learned simplicity is a real important aspect and coaching five years with Torts is as simple as it can get. He has his trigger points.”

Those who really got to know Shaw, label him as “a super-nice guy”. If anything, he tends to be a perfectionist and a constant drilling of fundamentals might affect some, but the Canucks could use that right now. They need direction.

“This is a steal for the Canucks,” said a Jackets’ insider. “You’ll see results pretty quick.”

The Canucks also added Kyle Gustafson as an assistant and special assignment coach. He was assistant general manager and associate coach of the WHL Portland Winterhawks and his connection with Green dates to working the junior bench together.

I see that John Davidson is back in Columbus as President. Seems to be changing the management group.

9 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

Haha well the guy goes on about being objective then hides when his hypocrisy is pointed out. I’m all for criticism of JB but stand behind your opinions. 

You got that from a hamster hiding behind a coke bottle?

• Haha 1