The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks announce coaching staff updates

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

a 17 goal season out of your 3C is pretty good though, but he just hasn't been healthy since. 

Again, for me its the term. 4 years at that cap hit would be fine. 3 years of Beagle. 2 of Roussel. 1 of Baer. Thats where I see Jim making his biggest errors. The people were decently bets. 

one thing I see with Vancouver is that it seems to be a retirement community

I do not know the stats but is looks to me like the Canucks have a very substancial number of player who end their career in Vancounver

3 minutes ago, whysoserious said:

All these players were acquired via our own picks (except maybe Rathbone?), we would have been able to pick regardless. Rebuilding teams should have a surplus of picks. If we are good at drafting, we should be drafting more often.

This is exactly the mindset that gets us into trouble. We have not been able to acquire bottom 6 players cheaply and easily, and have one the worst and overpaid bottom 6s in the league. Again, every contending team has a deep roster, effective 3rd and 4th liners are still needed. Whether or not Madden turns out to be a useful player is still up in the air, but having this mindset that you can easily acquire bottom 6 players when you need them is how you end up overpaying for players. 

We aren't rebuilding anymore.  Our young core is set.  We need to add some bigger players with more truculence via trade or free agency.  We have already most of our top 9 in place as well as a starting goalie and perhaps two high end offensive Dmen.  Right now Benning needs to draft for the future to replace guys like Pearson, Miller, Myers and Schmidt who are all pushing 30 or older.  The pieces we are missing cannot be drafted as they would take years to develop.  The pieces we need, a partner for Hughes, a 4C, a winger and another Dman can be acquired via trade or free agency.  Benning said he will be busy this summer.  I believe him.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

28 minutes ago, lmm said:

what?

are you not following the conversation?

assetts wasted on Toffoli

ensured he did not lose a lottery pick

a 1st,2nd or 3rd OA for Miller puts that (Miller) deal in the Neely catagory

Don't be rude...yes I am, it's just you shift gears a lot and avoid direct answers and comments.  For example using ... instead of words.

So you're all worked up over what, exactly:

Tim Schaller, forward prospect Tyler Madden, a second-round pick in the 2020 NHL Draft and a conditional pick in the 2022 NHL Draft

10 minutes ago, lmm said:

one thing I see with Vancouver is that it seems to be a retirement community

I do not know the stats but is looks to me like the Canucks have a very substancial number of player who end their career in Vancounver

Again, be specific.  Rather than make broad, sweeping generalizations to troll the team.  

Might consider that it's a great organization that treats players well so they tend to want to stay on (see:  Toffoli...if it was that bad, would he have expressed a desire to stay here?).  Longevity speaks in our favour more than against it.

Can you list the teams that don't have a few veteran players on it?

• Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, whysoserious said:

All these players were acquired via our own picks (except maybe Rathbone?), we would have been able to pick regardless. Rebuilding teams should have a surplus of picks. If we are good at drafting, we should be drafting more often.

This is exactly the mindset that gets us into trouble. We have not been able to acquire bottom 6 players cheaply and easily, and have one the worst and overpaid bottom 6s in the league. Again, every contending team has a deep roster, effective 3rd and 4th liners are still needed. Whether or not Madden turns out to be a useful player is still up in the air, but having this mindset that you can easily acquire bottom 6 players when you need them is how you end up overpaying for players. 

And then you look at Vegas

sure George / McClimmon is dealing from a position of strength

but

Carrier - expansion Buffalo

Smith trade 4th from FLA

Nosek, expansion Detroit

\Kosesar Trade 2nd from Columbus

Roy trade Haula, Carolina

Glass draft

Janmark trade 5th from San Jose

Reeves trade for Brassard Pittsburg ( the only time they trade with a good team)

Vegas is looking like the Kings of stealng from the poor

20 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We aren't rebuilding anymore.  Our young core is set.  We need to add some bigger players with more truculence via trade or free agency.  We have already most of our top 9 in place as well as a starting goalie and perhaps two high end offensive Dmen.  Right now Benning needs to draft for the future to replace guys like Pearson, Miller, Myers and Schmidt who are all pushing 30 or older.  The pieces we are missing cannot be drafted as they would take years to develop.  The pieces we need, a partner for Hughes, a 4C, a winger and another Dman can be acquired via trade or free agency.  Benning said he will be busy this summer.  I believe him.

I’m wondering if we get MacTavish at 9OA if he isn’t ready inside of two years to be our 3C?  

2 minutes ago, lmm said:

And then you look at Vegas

sure George / McClimmon is dealing from a position of strength

but

Carrier - expansion Buffalo

Smith trade 4th from FLA

Nosek, expansion Detroit

\Kosesar Trade 2nd from Columbus

Roy trade Haula, Carolina

Glass draft

Janmark trade 5th from San Jose

Reeves trade for Brassard Pittsburg ( the only time they trade with a good team)

Vegas is looking like the Kings of stealng from the poor

Well they kind of got gifted a lot to start out with.

Good thing they won the cup last year after beating us.  Because that's the measuring stick....all else falls short.  If that applies to this team, apply it to every team.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 2

14 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Again, be specific.  Rather than make broad, sweeping generalizations to troll the team.  

Might consider that it's a great organization that treats players well so they tend to want to stay on (see:  Toffoli...if it was that bad, would he have expressed a desire to stay here?).  Longevity speaks in our favour more than against it.

Can you list the teams that don't have a few veteran players on it?

The silence speaks volumes.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I’m wondering if we get MacTavish at 9OA if he isn’t ready inside of two years to be our 3C?  

I think McTavish will be ready to go in a year when he’s 19. He’s already got good size. He may be 215 pounds at training camp in 2022. I think he’s the exact player we need. We already have smallish forwards who can score. We need some bigger bodies up front. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Don't be rude...yes I am, it's just you shift gears a lot and avoid direct answers and comments.  For example using ... instead of words.

So you're all worked up over what, exactly:

Tim Schaller, forward prospect Tyler Madden, a second-round pick in the 2020 NHL Draft and a conditional pick in the 2022 NHL Draft

I am not worked up

I am discussing the failures of our management

you can read ... as "And more that I don't feel llike listing because I have multiple times in other threads"  Its a pretty acceptable abrieviation

Gatting rid of Schaller was the best part of that trade

but I'd rather have Toews or Fox  than 30ish games from Toffoli

If that trade has done anything, its made me like Toffoli as a player

7 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Well they kind of got gifted a lot to start out with.

Good thing they won the cup last year after beating us.  Because that's the measuring stick....all else falls short.  If that applies to this team, apply it to every team.

Maybe the measuring stick for a good team should be the core pieces are good enough (if supported properly) to compete for a Cup?  I’d say we have that core (proven in the bubble)  and it’s the support pieces that Benning is now filling in.  

Core:

Demko

Hughes, Bone

Petey, Bo

Miller, Bess, Pods

Support:

Myers, Schmidt

Pearson, Hogs, Lockwood, 

imo we are a playoff team next season, and have a very good chance of going further than the bubble.  

Edited by Alflives
  • Huggy Bear 1

37 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

a 17 goal season out of your 3C is pretty good though, but he just hasn't been healthy since. 

Again, for me its the term. 4 years at that cap hit would be fine. 3 years of Beagle. 2 of Roussel. 1 of Baer. Thats where I see Jim making his biggest errors. The people were decently bets. 

Always said i have no issue with the players themselves as long as the contract value is reasonable and the usage and role are right.

• Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, lmm said:

I am not worked up

I am discussing the failures of our management

you can read ... as "And more that I don't feel llike listing because I have multiple times in other threads"  Its a pretty acceptable abrieviation

Gatting rid of Schaller was the best part of that trade

but I'd rather have Toews or Fox  than 30ish games from Toffoli

If that trade has done anything, its made me like Toffoli as a player

If you're listing them over and over in multiple threads at some point do you "let it go"?

All teams have hits and misses, not just this team.  So can you list the ones that don't have veteran players in their final stop at some point?  Because I feel you isolate this team like they're the only ones that do things in the moment that, with hindsight, may have been done differently.  But, in real time, you don't have the luxury of hindsight and there's a lot more going on behind the scenes than the average Joe making deals on a keyboard contends with.

And if it took that trade to make you like Toffoli, maybe the team knew something you didn't at the time?

Anyhow, don't bother...going back outside now.  It's a beautiful day and I don't care enough.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think McTavish will be ready to go in a year when he’s 19. He’s already got good size. He may be 215 pounds at training camp in 2022. I think he’s the exact player we need. We already have smallish forwards who can score. We need some bigger bodies up front. 

Add a 215 pound McTavish to Bo, Miller, Bess, Pearson, Pods, and that’s six pretty heavy guys to have in our top nine.  And Hogs is built like a block, so he doesn’t really play small. 

Miller, Petey, Bess

Hogs, Bo, Pods

Lockwood , McTavish, Pearson

Rooster, Beagle , Gadjovic. 

That’s a fast, skilled, heavy, and high compete forward group.  I hate the fourth line though.  Rather two much younger guys instead of Rooster and Beagle.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Add a 215 pound McTavish to Bo, Miller, Bess, Pearson, Pods, and that’s six pretty heavy guys to have in our top nine.  And Hogs is built like a block, so he doesn’t really play small. 

Miller, Petey, Bess

Hogs, Bo, Pods

Lockwood , McTavish, Pearson

Rooster, Beagle , Gadjovic. 

That’s a fast, skilled, heavy, and high compete forward group.  I hate the fourth line though.  Rather two much younger guys instead of Rooster and Beagle.  

Same, i love that projection of forwards. Once petey is really in his prime years mctavish would most likely move to 2C and Horvat down to 3C. 

Want the Canucks to always draft for skill in the early rounds, not reaching for size or truculence or future bottom 6 players. If size and truculence accompanies the skill, thats a home run. But no more Virtanen type picks. Draft hockey IQ and skill first and foremost.

Its far tougher to acquire skill than it is anything else.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Want the Canucks to always draft for skill in the early rounds, not reaching for size or truculence or future bottom 6 players. If size and truculence accompanies the skill, thats a home run. But no more Virtanen type picks. Draft hockey IQ and skill first and foremost.

Its far tougher to acquire skill than it is anything else.

Absolutely.  But that skill and hockey sense, regardless of size, has to be accompanied by character and compete.  

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Absolutely.  But that skill and hockey sense, regardless of size, has to be accompanied by character and compete.  

Absolutely true.

If you believe the rumors about players the Canucks have shipped out (which I cant say for sure are true or just excuses to justify moving them) then drafting for character and compete has been a bit sketchy for the Canucks overall. But it is often touted as one of the most important things the Canucks consider. So it seems they can improve at identifying those factors.

Edited by wallstreetamigo

41 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Absolutely true.

If you believe the rumors about players the Canucks have shipped out (which I cant say for sure are true or just excuses to justify moving them) then drafting for character and compete has been a bit sketchy for the Canucks overall. But it is often touted as one of the most important things the Canucks consider. So it seems they can improve at identifying those factors.

Just for giggles? Lets dig in to the vault...

Cody Hodgson was a high character guy, future captain. Killed penalties, took key face off's. Had boat loads of skill?

Things still go astray...

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, lmm said:

Jimmy, I called it a flap because I think Jimmer did good on that one.

It is, mostly, much ado about nothing.

I am not a Benning fan, but I am willing to give him credit when credit is due.

Sutter is not and never was a great player

Baertschi was moved from Calgary because he was soft. He got injured because the Canucks demanded he play in areas of the ice that he was not comfortable

Maybe we should demand Quinn Hughes stand up and the blue line and knock guys on their keester

Svendo has never surpassed the 70 game mark in any year of his career, my 3rd string crystal ball could see this outcome coming

not landing OEL is the best thing that happened last offseason

Here you can have a look at the area of the ice where his injury occurred. Not sure why you would  blame anyone other than Cody McLeod.

• Cheers 2