The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks announce coaching staff updates

Rate this topic

19 minutes ago, whysoserious said:

I agree the goal should not be collecting assets for years and missing the playoffs every year. But, what we’ve been doing is missing the playoffs while NOT collecting assets. The objective of a hockey team should not just be make the playoffs. The objective is to win the Stanley Cup, just squeezing into the playoffs and hoping for the best is not enough. Last year we were at the stage where it looked like our competitive window was beginning to open, making deals that only improves us short term while not helping at least in the medium term is bad asset management. We need to ensure our competitive window stays open as long as possible, and in order to do that you have consider the future, whether you like it or not. Trading for pure rentals is for teams that are already in their competitive window, not for teams just entering it. You need depth in order to win a cup, it's hard to build a deep team when we are expending more assets than are coming in. 

Not collecting assets?  Are you kidding me?  Petey, Huggy, Brock, Hogs, Podz, Demko, Miller, Rathbone, Juolevi, Woo, DiPietro all say hi.  The Canucks have some of the best young talent right now in the entire NHL...

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
29 minutes ago, IRR said:

Blah blah blah.....go outside and get some sun / do something else instead of spending all day every day on here spewing your nonsense! 

who annointed you the hall moinitor?

you start with "blahblahblah" 

and contribute nothing

maybe take your own advice

• Hydration 2
52 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Cheers Bouds!

Yes, there seems to be an air of pretentiousness that tries very hard to protect itself ,  even if it means pushing away better minds or ideas.

Lou was always a Goalie first,  Manager.

Something that’s been overlooked in Toronto for many years.

Heh, they wouldn’t know a Vezina trophy winner if they saw one (hint:  they were the team that drafted Rask).

• Haha 1
10 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Exactly my point. Trading for a rental was a huge waste of assets. At some point you have to take a shot with a rental? Not where the Canucks were at you don't. They werent a true cup contender with or without Toffoli. Had they kept him then sure its a decent move to improve the top 6 going forward. But Benning thinking the team was a Toffoli away from being a cup contender might be the biggest mistake he has ever made.

Did you watch the Vegas series? Demko won 3 games by himself. The Canucks were utterly dominated. It wasnt a close series. They just received unsustainable god like goaltending while being dominated. 

Toffoli, Madden, and a 2nd for nothing is a bigger waste of assets than even a terrible hockey trade like the Sergachev one was. Using those assets for a longer term fit with Toffoli would have been a reasonable trade.

The problem as I see it is Jim painting himself in a corner

When he traded a 1st for Miller he pretty much guarranteed they were making the play offs.

(that deal had the potential to look like Kessel for Seguin(2nd OA)

when that looked in doubt, he traded more assetts to cover his butt

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think Petey and Hughes next deals pretty much negate any more deals like that. I guess we'll see too, I sure hope Beagle can come back because if he can't, we have a problem on 4C. 

I don't get the dislike of Sutter tho, when he's been healthy he's been good, capable of handling some critical shut down time. Remember Sutter and Dorsett? that was nice for a brief moment. 

I like Sutter as a 4th line guy leading a 4th unit that can actually play some shutdown hockey.

I dont like him at 4+ mil or in arole where he is expected to drive any offensive play. He can shoot but his playmaking ability as a center is sub par.

Used in right role at the right contract he is good.

• Hydration 1
  • Burr 1
13 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

So be specific here.

what?

are you not following the conversation?

assetts wasted on Toffoli

ensured he did not lose a lottery pick

a 1st,2nd or 3rd OA for Miller puts that (Miller) deal in the Neely catagory

Edited by lmm
12 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I like Sutter as a 4th line guy leading a 4th unit that can actually play some shutdown hockey.

I dont like him at 4+ mil or in arole where he is expected to drive any offensive play. He can shoot but his playmaking ability as a center is sub par.

Used in right role at the right contract he is good.

a 17 goal season out of your 3C is pretty good though, but he just hasn't been healthy since. 

Again, for me its the term. 4 years at that cap hit would be fine. 3 years of Beagle. 2 of Roussel. 1 of Baer. Thats where I see Jim making his biggest errors. The people were decently bets. 

34 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Not collecting assets?  Are you kidding me?  Petey, Huggy, Brock, Hogs, Podz, Demko, Miller, Rathbone, Juolevi, Woo, DiPietro all say hi.  The Canucks have some of the best young talent right now in the entire NHL...

All these players were acquired via our own picks (except maybe Rathbone?), we would have been able to pick regardless. Rebuilding teams should have a surplus of picks. If we are good at drafting, we should be drafting more often.

44 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Madden is going to end up being a fringe 3rd or 4th liner in the NHL.  Those types of players can be acquired very easily via trade or free agency.  The average 2nd round pick (unless it's a Benning pick) doesn't even make the NHL.  So I'm sorry but your hypothesis that Benning made a worse trade than trading away a top pairing defenceman makes no sense.  You cannot acquire a top pairing Dman in the NHL unless you give up major assets (Madden and a 2nd aren't major assets), or you draft them.  Montreal drafted Sergachev and gave him away for peanuts.  Drouin may not even be around in 2 years. 

One of the worst hockey trades in NHL history.  And you're comparing that to giving away a 2nd round pick and a fringe NHL'er.  At some point you just need to give it up and understand what you are saying is wrong and no one really agrees with you on this point.

Also, Benning was quoted as saying that the reason why he traded for Toffoli was he wanted to give his team a "boost" to make a playoff push with Boeser being out of the lineup.  At the end of the day the young players on the team enjoyed a great playoff run and Demko established himself as a bone fide NHL starter.  His confidence grew tremendously because of what he accomplished in the playoffs last year.  It made him what he is today, a 5x5 goalie who will be a Vezina trophy winner at some point in his career.  You can't underestimate what making the playoffs and going a few rounds does to team confidence in the young players.  Petey, Bo, Huggy, Brock and Demko all got to experience some serious playoff hockey.  That will certainly help them moving forward when we make a playoff push next year and gives them the confidence they need to know that they can play in the big dance and do well.

This is exactly the mindset that gets us into trouble. We have not been able to acquire bottom 6 players cheaply and easily, and have one the worst and overpaid bottom 6s in the league. Again, every contending team has a deep roster, effective 3rd and 4th liners are still needed. Whether or not Madden turns out to be a useful player is still up in the air, but having this mindset that you can easily acquire bottom 6 players when you need them is how you end up overpaying for players. 

• Vintage 1
1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

but what about how close he got to signing with Anaheim instead? that has to be the most important part. 

I could care less about Anaheim. Mickey and Donald can go (expletive deleted) themselves. 

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

a 17 goal season out of your 3C is pretty good though, but he just hasn't been healthy since. 

Again, for me its the term. 4 years at that cap hit would be fine. 3 years of Beagle. 2 of Roussel. 1 of Baer. Thats where I see Jim making his biggest errors. The people were decently bets. 

one thing I see with Vancouver is that it seems to be a retirement community

I do not know the stats but is looks to me like the Canucks have a very substancial number of player who end their career in Vancounver

3 minutes ago, whysoserious said:

All these players were acquired via our own picks (except maybe Rathbone?), we would have been able to pick regardless. Rebuilding teams should have a surplus of picks. If we are good at drafting, we should be drafting more often.

This is exactly the mindset that gets us into trouble. We have not been able to acquire bottom 6 players cheaply and easily, and have one the worst and overpaid bottom 6s in the league. Again, every contending team has a deep roster, effective 3rd and 4th liners are still needed. Whether or not Madden turns out to be a useful player is still up in the air, but having this mindset that you can easily acquire bottom 6 players when you need them is how you end up overpaying for players. 

We aren't rebuilding anymore.  Our young core is set.  We need to add some bigger players with more truculence via trade or free agency.  We have already most of our top 9 in place as well as a starting goalie and perhaps two high end offensive Dmen.  Right now Benning needs to draft for the future to replace guys like Pearson, Miller, Myers and Schmidt who are all pushing 30 or older.  The pieces we are missing cannot be drafted as they would take years to develop.  The pieces we need, a partner for Hughes, a 4C, a winger and another Dman can be acquired via trade or free agency.  Benning said he will be busy this summer.  I believe him.

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1
28 minutes ago, lmm said:

what?

are you not following the conversation?

assetts wasted on Toffoli

ensured he did not lose a lottery pick

a 1st,2nd or 3rd OA for Miller puts that (Miller) deal in the Neely catagory

Don't be rude...yes I am, it's just you shift gears a lot and avoid direct answers and comments.  For example using ... instead of words.

So you're all worked up over what, exactly:

Tim Schaller, forward prospect Tyler Madden, a second-round pick in the 2020 NHL Draft and a conditional pick in the 2022 NHL Draft

10 minutes ago, lmm said:

one thing I see with Vancouver is that it seems to be a retirement community

I do not know the stats but is looks to me like the Canucks have a very substancial number of player who end their career in Vancounver

Again, be specific.  Rather than make broad, sweeping generalizations to troll the team.  

Might consider that it's a great organization that treats players well so they tend to want to stay on (see:  Toffoli...if it was that bad, would he have expressed a desire to stay here?).  Longevity speaks in our favour more than against it.

Can you list the teams that don't have a few veteran players on it?

• Vintage 1
15 minutes ago, whysoserious said:

And then you look at Vegas

sure George / McClimmon is dealing from a position of strength

but

Carrier - expansion Buffalo

Smith trade 4th from FLA

Nosek, expansion Detroit

\Kosesar Trade 2nd from Columbus

Roy trade Haula, Carolina

Glass draft

Janmark trade 5th from San Jose

Reeves trade for Brassard Pittsburg ( the only time they trade with a good team)

Vegas is looking like the Kings of stealng from the poor

20 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We aren't rebuilding anymore.  Our young core is set.  We need to add some bigger players with more truculence via trade or free agency.  We have already most of our top 9 in place as well as a starting goalie and perhaps two high end offensive Dmen.  Right now Benning needs to draft for the future to replace guys like Pearson, Miller, Myers and Schmidt who are all pushing 30 or older.  The pieces we are missing cannot be drafted as they would take years to develop.  The pieces we need, a partner for Hughes, a 4C, a winger and another Dman can be acquired via trade or free agency.  Benning said he will be busy this summer.  I believe him.

I’m wondering if we get MacTavish at 9OA if he isn’t ready inside of two years to be our 3C?  

2 minutes ago, lmm said:

And then you look at Vegas

sure George / McClimmon is dealing from a position of strength

but

Carrier - expansion Buffalo

Smith trade 4th from FLA

Nosek, expansion Detroit

\Kosesar Trade 2nd from Columbus

Roy trade Haula, Carolina

Glass draft

Janmark trade 5th from San Jose

Reeves trade for Brassard Pittsburg ( the only time they trade with a good team)

Vegas is looking like the Kings of stealng from the poor

Well they kind of got gifted a lot to start out with.

Good thing they won the cup last year after beating us.  Because that's the measuring stick....all else falls short.  If that applies to this team, apply it to every team.

• Hydration 1
  • Huggy Bear 2
14 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Again, be specific.  Rather than make broad, sweeping generalizations to troll the team.  

Might consider that it's a great organization that treats players well so they tend to want to stay on (see:  Toffoli...if it was that bad, would he have expressed a desire to stay here?).  Longevity speaks in our favour more than against it.

Can you list the teams that don't have a few veteran players on it?

The silence speaks volumes.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I’m wondering if we get MacTavish at 9OA if he isn’t ready inside of two years to be our 3C?  

I think McTavish will be ready to go in a year when he’s 19. He’s already got good size. He may be 215 pounds at training camp in 2022. I think he’s the exact player we need. We already have smallish forwards who can score. We need some bigger bodies up front. 

• Like 2
  • Hydration 2