The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks announce coaching staff updates

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think McTavish will be ready to go in a year when he’s 19. He’s already got good size. He may be 215 pounds at training camp in 2022. I think he’s the exact player we need. We already have smallish forwards who can score. We need some bigger bodies up front. 

Jake was 200 lbs plus when he was drafted.  Forget center's for a second.  There were smaller wingers available who have proven better.

Jake also had speed.  And a shot, maybe best in the draft?. 

So did those guys; plus wicked agility, dangles and puck protection, endurance. Passing in their repertoire! 

All I am saying is measure the whole package?  Dont get caught up in size until the other factors are relatively equal. FTR I do not think Jake was a bad pick.  I called myself neutral when the pick was made. Lysell's wicked athletecism interests me as much, probably more than Mac's size.

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Don't be rude...yes I am, it's just you shift gears a lot and avoid direct answers and comments.  For example using ... instead of words.

So you're all worked up over what, exactly:

Tim Schaller, forward prospect Tyler Madden, a second-round pick in the 2020 NHL Draft and a conditional pick in the 2022 NHL Draft

Again, be specific.  Rather than make broad, sweeping generalizations to troll the team.  

Might consider that it's a great organization that treats players well so they tend to want to stay on (see:  Toffoli...if it was that bad, would he have expressed a desire to stay here?).  Longevity speaks in our favour more than against it.

Can you list the teams that don't have a few veteran players on it?

Well they kind of got gifted a lot to start out with.

Good thing they won the cup last year after beating us.  Because that's the measuring stick....all else falls short.  If that applies to this team, apply it to every team.

The silence speaks volumes.

hey Deb 

you are trolling me

Its Saturday and I am doing Saturday things

I was outside in my garden, so my silence means nothing except I have a life and being trolled by you is not important to me

(that is my polite way of saying "get over yourself")

You have replied to my every post this page regardless if it was aimed at you---trolling

you say I am rude yet respond with sarcasm - pot meet kettle

I will make sweeping statements when I feel they are approiate and I will go into detail when another poster give feedback worthy of a thoughtful response. So far today that has not been you.

tell me this, what have you contributed to this page?

I am going back outside now, so if you reply and I don't, you are welcome to hear all the volumes you want from it

but in reality it only means that I am outside and awy from my computer

12 minutes ago, lmm said:

tell me this, what have you contributed to this page?

I'm on topic, so please do the same.

Can you list the teams that don't have a few veteran players on it?

3 hours ago, lmm said:

one thing I see with Vancouver is that it seems to be a retirement community

I do not know the stats but is looks to me like the Canucks have a very substancial number of player who end their career in Vancounver

could be, it does happen other places but maybe more here since up until 3 years ago we really weren't a build through the draft team. 

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Add a 215 pound McTavish to Bo, Miller, Bess, Pearson, Pods, and that’s six pretty heavy guys to have in our top nine.  And Hogs is built like a block, so he doesn’t really play small. 

Miller, Petey, Bess

Hogs, Bo, Pods

Lockwood , McTavish, Pearson

Rooster, Beagle , Gadjovic. 

That’s a fast, skilled, heavy, and high compete forward group.  I hate the fourth line though.  Rather two much younger guys instead of Rooster and Beagle.  

Rooster and Beagle won't be around by the time McTavish makes the NHL.  If we can draft McTavish and add guys like Appleton and Trenin to our core it would make our forward group complete.

Miller           Pettersson   Boeser

Hoglander   Horvat         Podkolzin

Pearson      McTavish    Appleton

Highmore    Trenin         Lockwood

Gadjovich                      MacEwen

The top 3 lines are set.  The 4th line has speed to burn and Trenin would be a physical force up the middle.  And we'd have Gadjovich and MacEwen who can play on the 3rd or 4th line for added truculence when needed.  

I really think if we draft Mctavish and then add a couple cheap young players in Appleton and Trenin our forward group is pretty much complete.  It's the defence we really need to work on.  We need to get a top pairing RHD to play with Hughes.  That is the biggest challenge Benning will face in the next year or two.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Jake was 200 lbs plus when he was drafted.  Forget center's for a second.  There were smaller wingers available who have proven better.

Jake also had speed.  And a shot, maybe best in the draft?. 

So did those guys; plus wicked agility, dangles and puck protection, endurance. Passing in their repertoire! 

All I am saying is measure the whole package?  Dont get caught up in size until the other factors are relatively equal. FTR I do not think Jake was a bad pick.  I called myself neutral when the pick was made. Lysell's wicked athletecism interests me as much, probably more than Mac's size.

McTavish comes from a hockey family.  Great bloodlines.  From what I hear he is the complete opposite of Jake.  Jake had all the tools to be a great NHL player, but unfortunately he had no toolbox.  The decisions he has made on and off the ice have unfortunately ruined his career.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Rooster and Beagle won't be around by the time McTavish makes the NHL.  If we can draft McTavish and add guys like Appleton and Trenin to our core it would make our forward group complete.

Miller           Pettersson   Boeser

Hoglander   Horvat         Podkolzin

Pearson      McTavish    Appleton

Highmore    Trenin         Lockwood

Gadjovich                      MacEwen

The top 3 lines are set.  The 4th line has speed to burn and Trenin would be a physical force up the middle.  And we'd have Gadjovich and MacEwen who can play on the 3rd or 4th line for added truculence when needed.  

I really think if we draft Mctavish and then add a couple cheap young players in Appleton and Trenin our forward group is pretty much complete.  It's the defence we really need to work on.  We need to get a top pairing RHD to play with Hughes.  That is the biggest challenge Benning will face in the next year or two.

To get that RSD to play with Hughes maybe it’s best to sign a UFA or trade for an older guy 28 or so?  Bruins got Chara as a UFA, and Habs traded for Weber.  I don’t t know who we would target as a UFA though, but I’d hope he was a good player, and tough as nails too.  Like Chara and Weber.  

18 minutes ago, Alflives said:

To get that RSD to play with Hughes maybe it’s best to sign a UFA or trade for an older guy 28 or so?  Bruins got Chara as a UFA, and Habs traded for Weber.  I don’t t know who we would target as a UFA though, but I’d hope he was a good player, and tough as nails too.  Like Chara and Weber.  

There is not much out there on the UFA front.  Hamilton, Savard and Larsson are the only 3 legit RHD that are UFA's, but none bring the truculence of a Chara or Weber.

Hamonic may be the short term solution.  But I'd rather Benning be aggressive and use the expansion draft to target a RHD that another team may lose for nothing.  My dream is Erik Cernak, he'd be the gold standard of RHD to play with Hughes.  Don't think it's gonna happen though.  I think Scott Mayfield could be a good target.  He's playing 22-24 minutes a night in the playoffs and is 28 and on a cheap contract.  Depends what the Islanders do in the expansion draft.  They have to choose between protecting him or Nick Leddy.  Tough choice.

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Just for giggles? Lets dig in to the vault...

Cody Hodgson was a high character guy, future captain. Killed penalties, took key face off's. Had boat loads of skill?

Things still go astray...

The signs that Hodgson was not a character guy, or at the very least his family would not allow him to be, before he was drafted were at least a possibility according to some people I have talked to. There were some warning signs. 

Did Hodgson and the Canucks both make things worse? Clearly. But high character people dont suddenly become low character. And if you are placing that level of importance on character, there clearly are several cases where somewhere in the process signs were missed. 

32 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I saw a report that Holtby “may” have been seen at a Nationals game in Washington today and Caps fans on their message board miss him a lot. There was a trade proposal that Van gives up  Holtby (some salary retained), Schmidt and a pick for Kuznetsov and Brendan Dillon. It got me thinking because Kuz is a good size center but unfortunately Dillon is another lefty and Kuznetsov is pretty steep at $7.9mil for four more years. I thought it was an interesting start to a conversation.

1 minute ago, 4petesake said:

I saw a report that Holtby “may” have been seen at a Nationals game in Washington today and Caps fans on their message board miss him a lot. There was a trade proposal that Van gives up  Holtby (some salary retained), Schmidt and a pick for Kuznetsov and Brendan Dillon. It got me thinking because Kuz is a good size center but unfortunately Dillon is another lefty and Kuznetsov is pretty steep at $7.9mil for four more years. I thought it was an interesting start to a conversation.

Is Kuznetsov the player who had the cocaine problems? 

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Add a 215 pound McTavish to Bo, Miller, Bess, Pearson, Pods, and that’s six pretty heavy guys to have in our top nine.  And Hogs is built like a block, so he doesn’t really play small. 

Miller, Petey, Bess

Hogs, Bo, Pods

Lockwood , McTavish, Pearson

Rooster, Beagle , Gadjovic. 

That’s a fast, skilled, heavy, and high compete forward group.  I hate the fourth line though.  Rather two much younger guys instead of Rooster and Beagle.  

Please do GMJB... please do

• Like 2

The more I see on McTavish the more I would love to see the Canucks draft him. Unfortunately I think his performance at the Under-18s will move him up most teams’ lists and he’ll be long gone before our pick.

Edited by Schmautzie
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

9 hours ago, steviewonder20 said:

Alfie, I think you may be missing the point Wallstreet was making. Madden and a second was worth Toffoli if TT was extended, but then we didn't even offer TT an extension. So, we gave up TT, Madden and a second and that was poor asset management. JB has given three different reasons for losing TT over time. Bottom line is he was so focused on getting OEL he dropped the ball with TT. Yes, time to move on from this mistake and I expect next year to be much better with a healthy Pete, Podz, and whatever trades JB makes this summer. Looking forward to getting an impact player at #9 as well.

Obviously JB wasn't convinced Madden was going to be an NHL player of any magnitude.........and it's looking like he was probably right 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

There is not much out there on the UFA front.  Hamilton, Savard and Larsson are the only 3 legit RHD that are UFA's, but none bring the truculence of a Chara or Weber.

Hamonic may be the short term solution.  But I'd rather Benning be aggressive and use the expansion draft to target a RHD that another team may lose for nothing.  My dream is Erik Cernak, he'd be the gold standard of RHD to play with Hughes.  Don't think it's gonna happen though.  I think Scott Mayfield could be a good target.  He's playing 22-24 minutes a night in the playoffs and is 28 and on a cheap contract.  Depends what the Islanders do in the expansion draft.  They have to choose between protecting him or Nick Leddy.  Tough choice.

Imo, just like Schmidt, Cernak seems to be a player that thrives in the Tampa system cause LA did not know what they had with him (this is why they hopefully play OJ before trading him).  Hopefully, Shaw can identify players we have in the system that will do the same while the on ice system gets re vamp.

I agree, Cernak based on his performance with Tampa would be a good add but not sure how he would had done under Greens/Baumers system.

Edited by ShawnAntoski