The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks announce coaching staff updates

Rate this topic

On 6/9/2021 at 1:36 PM, ShawnAntoski said:

pretty much guarantees an Edler resigning and the same usage.

Sounds like he wants to come back for another season. I was convinced he was going to retire after this year. The talking heads are murmuring about a reduced role at a team friendly rate for a one year deal. We'll see what happens. 

Im going to miss  Newell Brown. People seem to forget that he had our PP firing at 25% there a couple of seasons ago. We were near the top in the league. One bad season (due to COVID, bad schedule, injuries, bad reffing) and the guy gets axed? Seems a little harsh. I would have liked to see him get another 4 or 5 years with the team to show what he can do. 

• RoughGame 1

17 hours ago, tas said:

I like the subtle nod to the fact that fans and media demanded blood, any blood, and his was the easiest to spill. 

Thats a fair point but they did bring back the rest of the staff so that suggests they didnt feel much pressure to make changes.

I would have let Baumgartner go before Brown. But I think realistically both should have gone. Brown is a good coach in many ways but just went stale. It happens. Baumgartner just seems like he is not an effective coach at all.

Shaw is a good add. The other new guy I know nothing about. Seems like maybe he just has some connection to Benning or Green to get the job and its not clear what he will actually be doing. Would have much rather seen another experienced voice added.

• Vintage 1

I mean, he's a nice guy but I'm not trying to have a powerplay that stands around and wonders why they can't score. That's something that doesn't work anymore, and he refused to adapt for the entire season. The teams with the best PP also have the most movement on their powerplay, not really a coincidence. I don't care about 2011, adapt or get left behind.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

17 hours ago, FlyLow_ said:

I mean, he's a nice guy but I'm not trying to have a powerplay that stands around and wonders why they can't score. That's something that doesn't work anymore, and he refused to adapt for the entire season. The teams with the best PP also have the most movement on their powerplay, not really a coincidence. I don't care about 2011, adapt or get left behind.

I blame Gillis and all the NMCs!!!  :mad:

On 6/16/2021 at 9:33 AM, CptCanuck16 said:

Im going to miss  Newell Brown. People seem to forget that he had our PP firing at 25% there a couple of seasons ago. We were near the top in the league. One bad season (due to COVID, bad schedule, injuries, bad reffing) and the guy gets axed? Seems a little harsh. I would have liked to see him get another 4 or 5 years with the team to show what he can do. 

I think it was time for Newell. He's been in the league as a coach for a while now, and based on the optics of the situation, it looks like his effectiveness here had worn off. That being said, when the powerplay did click, it was really dangerous. The defense always looked like a complete mess in it's own end. Why Brown was canned but Bumgarter was kept on is beyond me. 

I know that Shaw has been hired to institute a far more effective and consistent approach to team defense, and that BumG will end up being his subordinate, but I'd have to assume that there are other up and coming assistant coaches who could replace him with ease.

Very nice statement by Brown. He definitely wasn't the problem on the coaching staff, since 2017 when Brown came back, Canucks have a top ten PP in the league. People can call it "stale" or "predictable" all they want but the results speak for themselves. This last season was an anomaly due to the horrendous schedule caused by COVID.

I'm just hoping Green is open to listening to any system changes that Shaw suggests, I think that is going to be key in improving this team and Shaw is a good choice help in our biggest areas of need. I also hope Baumer was only kept because the players like him and his entire role now consists of simply helping the players work on learning the new defensive system that Shaw implements instead of actually composing the defensive system and leading the D core in practice.

1 hour ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Very nice statement by Brown. He definitely wasn't the problem on the coaching staff, since 2017 when Brown came back, Canucks have a top ten PP in the league. People can call it "stale" or "predictable" all they want but the results speak for themselves. This last season was an anomaly due to the horrendous schedule caused by COVID.

I'm just hoping Green is open to listening to any system changes that Shaw suggests, I think that is going to be key in improving this team and Shaw is a good choice help in our biggest areas of need. I also hope Baumer was only kept because the players like him and his entire role now consists of simply helping the players work on learning the new defensive system that Shaw implements instead of actually composing the defensive system and leading the D core in practice.

that just sounds so backwards

you hope the old head coach and the old assistant coach will listen to the new guy

Does that actually make sense to you?

10 minutes ago, lmm said:

that just sounds so backwards

you hope the old head coach and the old assistant coach will listen to the new guy

Does that actually make sense to you?

Thats why you bring in a fresh voice, otherwise what's the point of bringing in anyone new?

And yes Shaw deserves a more important position in the coaching staff than Baumer, Shaw has been an NHL coach for 16 years compared to Baumers 4 years and Shaw has a far better track record at coaching top defensive systems.

• Hydration 1