The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen update

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

23 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Aren't you the guy that thought Dane Fox was going to be a star in the NHL?  Yah, I'll take what you say real seriously.

fun fact: dane fox never existed. he was actually portrayed by chris penn in one of his lesser known acting roles. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, canuktravella said:

ya it seems like she was pissed he dudnt call her back and wanted some cash and to ruin his reputation if its true i hope they throw the book at her 

This right here, is top class.

Atta way to make friends.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, canuktravella said:

ya it seems like she was pissed he dudnt call her back and wanted some cash and to ruin his reputation if its true i hope they throw the book at her 

Winner winner, Chicken Dinner.  Dumbest post of the year goes to this guy^^^^^^.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Yes. I also hate the 'moral police' crew who come in and openly accuse anyone who DOESN'T outright call Jake a rapist as being a rapist, or some kind of sympathizer to them.

Found these people that you and I described on Twitter - and it's terrible.

It's disgusting how many comments like these we are seeing right now

"ya it seems like she was pissed he dudnt call her back and wanted some cash and to ruin his reputation if its true i hope they throw the book at her" or

46 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

And false allegations over shadow fictional sexual harassment.

It's rediculous. Based strictly off statics it's a stupid assumption. It's wildly reported that between 2 and 8 percent of alligations are false alligations. Obviously the victims in this percent who are false accused I feel for immensely. No one deserves to have their life ruined for no reason.

It's also proven that only roughly 20-30 percent of all sexual assaults go reported. So let's do some math here.

If we take 1000 sexual assaults, 800 of those people never even report it at all for a multitude of different reasons. 200 of those people actually go to the police. Of those 200 let's say 5% are "false alligations". Not even taking in to context that a false alligation is considered a accused crime that's not a crime. So the majority of those there was indeed a wrong doing, it just was concidered a criminal act. Now we are at 10 out of 1000 sexual assaults.

For some reading on what I'm saying I suggest this article

https://www.thecut.com/article/false-rape-accusations.html

That would be that 10 out of those 1000 sexual assaults are "false alligations" but if you read that article the overwhelming majority of those flase alligations are due to many different reasons and very few of them are simply made up.

The actual number of true false alligations, meaning it was made entirely up is 0.5 percent. So of 1000 reported sexual assaults (keep in mind there would be 4000 others unreported) 5 of those would be a true false alligations. Again, I feel horrible for those 5 people that had their life ruined for no reason. What a horrifying thing to go through. But statically for us to come up with those 5 people, 4,995 people were sexually assaulted.

Meaning, if you're currently defending Jake under the assumption this is a made  up claim you think it's more likely he is one of the 5 people being flasely accused, not one of the 4,995 people who sexually assaulted someone.

Numbers don't lie, it's statically far more likely at this point that a wrong doing took place.

Edited by shayster007
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

47 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

The absolute worst part is, out of the small group of low life's defending him now, the majority of those people would have been hating on Jake based off his play this last year. They changed their tune litterally because of the situation. Meaning to their core they are fundamentally vile people who will defend someone being accused of sexual assult based strictly off the fact he's being accused of sexual assult. 

Everyone has the right to their day in court, no?  

Is Jake not entitled to that right?  Are those who defend Jake's legal rights now low life's?  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is Jake not entitled to that right?  Are those who defend Jake's legal rights now low life's?  

43E5E8AD-7100-4141-BC4F-69B25EC61EE1.jpeg

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Alf, it's far more complicated then that and you know it. Less then half of sexual assaults that make it to court are found guilty. 1 in 5 sexual assults reported to police even go to court. Only 30 percent of those sexual assulted ever go to the police. The nature of sexual assult makes it incredibly difficult to prove legally. It's entirely naive to judge a sexual assault alligation based off a guilty verdict in court. 

2 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Alf, it's far more complicated then that and you know it. Less then half of sexual assaults that make it to court are found guilty. 1 in 5 sexual assults reported to police even go to court. Only 30 percent of those sexual assulted ever go to the police. The nature of sexual assult makes it incredibly difficult to prove legally. It's entirely naive to judge a sexual assault alligation based off a guilty verdict in court. 

I appreciate the math you presented.  Very sad actually to read those numbers.  But It's not the actions that one would defend.  It's Jake's right to have his day in court that should be defended.  Of course our natural response to such actions is visceral, but we (as a society) prevent chaos by have control mechanisms.  One of those is our legal system. 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I appreciate the math you presented.  Very sad actually to read those numbers.  But It's not the actions that one would defend.  It's Jake's right to have his day in court that should be defended.  Of course our natural response to such actions is visceral, but we (as a society) prevent chaos by have control mechanisms.  One of those is our legal system. 

Agree to disagree. Statics are easier to trust then the legal system in this regards.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, shayster007 said:

Agree to disagree. Statics are easier to trust then the legal system in this regards.

Are those statistics not presentable as evidence of guilt in the courts?  If they are proven as fact then they would be, right?  

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Are those statistics not presentable as evidence of guilt in the courts?  If they are proven as fact then they would be, right?  

No, not in the slightest. The court is entirely evidence based. The nature of the crime is extremely difficult to prove in court. That is one of the contributing factors to why over 70% of assults are never even taken to the police.

• Cheers 2

Just now, Patel Bure said:

But according to James Bond 007, the “statistics” mandate that Virtanen is guilty until proven innocent.  :??:

Which isn’t what was said, at this point you are just jumping on it to just be contrary 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

Which isn’t what was said, at this point you are just jumping on it to just be contrary 

I’m not jumping on it to be contrary.  I’m defending Jake because I truly believe that he was wronged in this case.  Having said that, I will apologize if I am incorrect.  

Just now, Patel Bure said:

I’m not jumping on it to be contrary.  I’m defending Jake because I truly believe that he was wronged in this case.  Having said that, I will apologize if I am incorrect.  

with respect, there's no way you could possibly know that. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 6/9/2021 at 6:29 PM, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Is he suspended without pay right now?

We are in the middle of the offseason. The players only getting paid during the regular season. So, at the moment it's not relevant.