The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen update

Rate this topic

5 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

I dunno if you're his brother or why you're defending him so hard. 

The guy is a dick. Plain and simple. 

so how do you know this? are you his best friend? look a lot of us don't care for Jake because he is a lazy hockey player, but come on, you can't go and blame him for rape with no proof right now. it is a case of he said, she said right now. i don't like Jake the player, Jake the person, i don't know, i am just going to wait until all the facts are in.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
17 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

I dunno if you're his brother or why you're defending him so hard. 

The guy is a dick. Plain and simple. 

I have said it before this is not about JV for me it is about the law.

I couldn't care less about JV 

23 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

I feel like I missed an important part of this saga, could someone enlighten me on these "DMs" that she sent Virtanen? Thanks in advance. 

I dunno what they said but when i was on Twitter talking to girls in DMs it wasnt about the weather if ya know what i mean<_<

19 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

I feel like I missed an important part of this saga, could someone enlighten me on these "DMs" that she sent Virtanen? Thanks in advance. 

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/beta.ctvnews.ca/local/british-columbia/2021/5/13/1_5427569.html

“According to court documents, the plaintiff - identified only as M.S. - met Virtanen at the Calgary Stampede in July of that year and had been exchanging text messages with him throughout the summer.

M.S.’s lawsuit claims Virtanen asked her to meet up with him after she came to Vancouver for a photoshoot and to visit friends on Sept. 26, 2017.“

The alleged sexual assault was on September 26th, 2017. I haven’t heard of any messages sent between Virtanen and “M.S.” after that date.

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

A cash settlement admits guilt.   Either way.    This is a crappy situation.    JV has a reputation as a party boy and a womanizer.   To the point that he's never fully committed to his profession.    

Lie detectors could be utilized in both cases.   And there are ways to find out guilt, police are experts at this sort of thing.    Hope they are involved at this point.   Can't victim blame and can't not give JV the benefit of the doubt.   I highly doubt JV will ever play another game in the NHL at this point though, even if no formal charges are laid.   Seattle was interested in him - not anymore.  

Yeah. I tend to agree that Virtanen’s NHL career is probably done at this point. He’s not good enough that another franchise and NHL organization would want to associate themselves with someone like this (rape allegations). What would associating yourself with a player like this say about your brand and organization’s values? Would alienate a lot of fans, in my opinion from supporting your organization and team. What would it do to the locker room in some of those teams as well? Would create lots of division and disunity among the team, personally. Can’t see it going well, which is why I don’t think he’s returning to the NHL. And he hasn’t played in such a long time either, have to wonder about his conditioning, and that was an issue before all of this

Were there reports that Seattle was interested in him? 

I think Virtanen does eventually land somewhere in Europe or in the KHL. Might do well there, but as far as the NHL i don’t think he’s coming back, even after all of this is said and done. 

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah. I tend to agree that Virtanen’s NHL career is probably done at this point. He’s not good enough that another franchise and NHL organization would want to associate themselves with someone like this (rape allegations). What would associating yourself with a player like this say about your brand and organization’s values? Would alienate a lot of fans, in my opinion from supporting your organization and team. What would it do to the locker room in some of those teams as well? Would create lots of division and disunity among the team, personally. Can’t see it going well, which is why I don’t think he’s returning to the NHL. And he hasn’t played in such a long time either, have to wonder about his conditioning, and that was an issue before all of this

Were there reports that Seattle was interested in him? 

I think Virtanen does eventually land somewhere in Europe or in the KHL. Might do well there, but as far as the NHL i don’t think he’s coming back, even after all of this is said and done. 

Some mock drafts had JV going to Seattle.   Since it's switched - Gads or Holtby (THN made a decent case as to why they'd take Holtby - back-up Allen and use as a safety net, possibly flipping him at the TDL with retention to a team that is also looking for what he offers)  ... before this aired JV wasn't a lock but for sure being considered not anymore. 

Just now, IBatch said:

Some mock drafts had JV going to Seattle.   Since it's switched - Gads or Holtby (THN made a decent case as to why they'd take Holtby - back-up Allen and use as a safety net, possibly flipping him at the TDL with retention to a team that is also looking for what he offers)  ... before this aired JV wasn't a lock but for sure being considered not anymore. 

I think Seattle stays away from Jake. The Canucks are definitely going to expose him. But I don’t know how as a franchise that’s just starting out, you’d want to associate yourself with a player like this. How’s that going to go with the fans? What about the female portion of the fan base? With that being said, he’s probably going to resurrect his NHL career with Seattle, and he’ll likely score a ton against, yep, the Canucks. Would be just our luck that we hold onto a player for that long, until he screws himself over with a rape allegation case, and then gets selected in an expansion draft, and tears it up against his former team. 

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

I feel like his rebuttal that says he "didn't force intercourse" doesn't mean nothing happened that she wasn't ok with.

But we don't know the truth and likely never will know the full version.   These things ARE hard to prove but that doesn't mean they didn't happen.  Or that they did.

Whatever the deal is, time to move past Jake...too much distraction and not a fit here.  He's got his crew but I'm not sure it's this one.

Sad, I really liked Jake...IF these charges are proven to be untrue I wish him well.  Somewhere else.  I'm just tired of hearing about him and I don't feel like his focus and possibly his maturity level are where they need to be.  Despite having an extended period of time to demonstrate that they are.  

This is just the end of a process of numerous chances Jake has taken for granted imo. It was time to move on anyway.

16 hours ago, AriGold said:

Crystal ball outlook. The social media messages will indicate the general intention to "get together" and it will be swept under the rug. A small "get lost" payment will happen with a NDA so we will never hear about it.

Some people still celebrate Kobe... some people think he got what he deserved... I don't like basketball.

1 minute ago, canuckster19 said:

Some people still celebrate Kobe... some people think he got what he deserved... I don't like basketball.

Lots of other people died in that crash.  

• Upvote 1
15 hours ago, Drakrami said:

So basically the truth is either the girl is looking for a payday after Virtanen's signed that 5.1million contract and is in the gutters being on the shortleash this season. Or Virtanen did physically force the girl, aka rape. My gut feeling it is the first (pls dont crucify me). 

However this pans out Virtanen would take a lot of luck to get his career back on track. 

I think it's very likely that the girl is looking for a payday.    

Why she decided to bring this up now as opposed to 2017 when this "supposedly occurred" is beyond me.  

While the intent behind the "me too" movement is a noble one and one that I support, I feel like the pendulum has swung too far the other way, to the point where any guy could be at tremendous risk for making even the slightest of advances.   

Obviously, more evidence needs to come to the forefront, and Jake absolutely deserves to be punished if he did something wrong here, but my gut tells me that this lady is taking advantage of the situation and looking for a quick pay day.

• Hydration 1
  • Sad 1
  • RoughGame 3
1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

This is just the end of a process of numerous chances Jake has taken for granted imo. It was time to move on anyway.

I would wholeheartedly agree with this if it wasn't for the fact that Virtanen was on pace for a 20 goal season before covid began.                

So, one of two things is true in my opinion.    

1) Jake completely forgot how to play hockey during this covid period. 

2) The 'restricted' covid lifestyle had a tremendous negative impact on Jake, to the point where it greatly effected his game.  

People can scoff at the idea of covid and the mental effects that it can have on someone, but it is a thing.     

While I'm not entirely sure that Jake remaining in Vancouver would be the best thing for his career, I am interested to see how he performs in a post covid world where he'd be able to resume his normal life.   

Phil Knight even talks about the importance of a coach catering to an individual within reason.  This is how he was one of few coaches to maximizes Dennis Rodman.   I am hopefully that this is the approach that we can eventually take with Virtanen if he returns to us next season.

All players are different.  Not everyone has the same focus and mental toughness as guys like Michael Jordan, Jonathan Toews, and Bo Horvat.   Some guys, though talented, are on the opposite end of the mental spectrum such as Dennis Rodman and Jake Virtanen.

Edited by Patel Bure
55 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

I think it's very likely that the girl is looking for a payday.    

Why she decided to bring this up now as opposed to 2017 when this "supposedly occurred" is beyond me.  

While the intent behind the "me too" movement is a noble one and one that I support, I feel like the pendulum has swung too far the other way, to the point where any guy could be at tremendous risk for making even the slightest of advances.   

Obviously, more evidence needs to come to the forefront, and Jake absolutely deserves to be punished if he did something wrong here, but my gut tells me that this lady is taking advantage of the situation and looking for a quick pay day.

What a embarrassingly miss informed stance you have on this subject. There are numerous reasons why it would take years to come forward. Infact, the overwhelming majority of sexual assaults aren't reported at the time of assult it it takes months or years for the victim to come forward. I'm sincerely ashamed to share a message board I love so dearly with some of the people here.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
1 minute ago, shayster007 said:

What a embarrassingly miss informed stance you have on this subject. There are numerous reasons why it would take years to come forward. Infact, the overwhelming majority of sexual assaults aren't reported at the time of assult it it takes months or years for the victim to come forward. I'm sincerely ashamed to share a message board I love so dearly with some of the people here.

Fair enough and my sincere apologies here.  You are correct that many victims do take years to step forward, and I should have taken that into consideration.   Sometimes in my zeal to support Canucks players and anyone associated with the Canucks, I do have a tendency to lose objectivity.  My apologies for causing you offense. 

• Huggy Bear 1
  • RoughGame 1
13 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

If I was JV I would sue the Canucks for giving me a leave of absents on her flimsy story and he would have a case. My bet is the Canuck organization is still paying him.

It is also why I believe he will be bought out. Instead of them trying to terminate his contract

He's lucky he hasn't had his contract terminated

1 hour ago, Patel Bure said:

I would wholeheartedly agree with this if it wasn't for the fact that Virtanen was on pace for a 20 goal season before covid began.                

So, one of two things is true in my opinion.    

1) Jake completely forgot how to play hockey during this covid period. 

2) The 'restricted' covid lifestyle had a tremendous negative impact on Jake, to the point where it greatly effected his game.  

People can scoff at the idea of covid and the mental effects that it can have on someone, but it is a thing.     

While I'm not entirely sure that Jake remaining in Vancouver would be the best thing for his career, I am interested to see how he performs in a post covid world where he'd be able to resume his normal life.   

Phil Knight even talks about the importance of a coach catering to an individual within reason.  This is how he was one of few coaches to maximizes Dennis Rodman.   I am hopefully that this is the approach that we can eventually take with Virtanen if he returns to us next season.

All players are different.  Not everyone has the same focus and mental toughness as guys like Michael Jordan, Jonathan Toews, and Bo Horvat.   Some guys, though talented, are on the opposite end of the mental spectrum such as Dennis Rodman and Jake Virtanen.

I would argue that the "20 goal pace" was a mirage ... I mean, sure, technically it's true, but it was also just about the least effective "20 goal pace" season I can think of. 

4 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Fair enough and my sincere apologies here.  You are correct that many victims do take years to step forward, and I should have taken that into consideration.   Sometimes in my zeal to support Canucks players and anyone associated with the Canucks, I do have a tendency to lose objectivity.  My apologies for causing you offense. 

You didn't offend me. You pissed me off. Don't apologize to me, you should be apologizing for someone in your life that has experienced some sort of sexual assult. 1 in 5 woman experience sexual assult in their life time. Meaning you, me, and everyone else on this board has most likely had a loved one who is a survivor of sexual assult in some shape.

If you are truely sorry, get informed. If you just apologized to me and don't now spend the time to spend at least a few minutes to get informed on the subject, you aren't sorry and your words have no meaning. 

Here are some resources for you to become better informed so you don't say something so stupid again.

https://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/rp-pr/jr/jf-pf/2019/apr01.html

https://www.nsvrc.org/about-sexual-assault

https://canadianwomen.org/the-facts/sexual-assault-harassment/

https://1in6.org/get-information/the-1-in-6-statistic/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • -DLC- locked this topic