The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

'Feast or Famine'

Rate this topic

knucklehead91

It all comes down to, this is an anomaly of a year, and will most likely never happen again.  Do I think the Canucks are as bad as their record?  Definitely not.  Too many factors to consider.  No practice times.  No team bonding.  Being isolated even at home.  COVID.  Schedule.  I just hope that COVID is a non-factor come next season, that way it'll be a more even playing field (although Vancouver still gets shafted with travel schedule).  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Viper007 said:

It all comes down to, this is an anomaly of a year, and will most likely never happen again.  Do I think the Canucks are as bad as their record?  Definitely not.  Too many factors to consider.  No practice times.  No team bonding.  Being isolated even at home.  COVID.  Schedule.  I just hope that COVID is a non-factor come next season, that way it'll be a more even playing field (although Vancouver still gets shafted with travel schedule).  

I was just thinking this recently if we just had petey for all season and a better demko to start the season; we could possibly won 4 extra games (instead of losses) and say one of the games was a win against the habs, it would put us ahead of Habs for the playoffs whom are in the semi-finals... just saying...

Edited by mordekai

Interesting take.

I thought it would be bad from day one and anything but tough, and boy was I right. 

Van and To soft as butter.

During the regular season, Ottawa, Van, Calgary and to some extent Montreal all terrible.

Just a poor display of a stretch run to be honest. The MassMutual division was tough. 

In the end it doesn't matter as it will have no historical impact on next year.

Edited by Chris12345

The Habs, as winners of their division, are going to get a serious wake-up call when they meet Vegas/Col.  The overall weakness of the North division will be exposed for what it is sadly.   Say what we want about the North division and 'parity' but it was weak teams playing even weaker ones in my view. 

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

10 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Fire Green and we can forgo all the excuses and start celebrating winning a Cup.

didja hear the news?!?

there will be good rockin tonite in the Green + Baumer households

butits downtownfrowns for the Browns

2 hours ago, Fanuck said:

The Habs, as winners of their division, are going to get a serious wake-up call when they meet Vegas/Col.  The overall weakness of the North division will be exposed for what it is sadly.   Say what we want about the North division and 'parity' but it was weak teams playing even weaker ones in my view. 

Pretty sure the consensus thinking was our division lacked top tier talent, but was loaded with teams a level down.   The OP is correct in that our division didn't have the weakest teams to pound on and pad stats with.    Bet we will find out a little of what that is like next year with ANA, LA and SJ in our division  ... too bad ARI won't be joining us.    MTL ... WNP lost Schieffle and that hurt them big time, but both these teams are built for the playoffs - sure they will be the underdogs against this years top regular season point getters .... Vegas and COL are contenders after all.    Might not be a thrashing either.    Won't be surprised at all to see six or seven games out of that series, or to see MTL as the last team standing.   Staal, Perry, Anderson and TT were the correct adds - really aside from lacking top end killer game breaker talent MTL stacks up well against both teams this year.   

• Thanks 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

4 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

Interesting take.

I thought it would be bad from day one and anything but tough, and boy was I right. 

Van and To soft as butter.

During the regular season, Ottawa, Van, Calgary and to some extent Montreal all terrible.

Just a poor display of a stretch run to be honest. The MassMutual division was tough. 

In the end it doesn't matter as it will have no historical impact on next year.

4 hours ago, Fanuck said:

I guess you guys are misinterpreting what I mean by tough. And I stated it multiple times.

Tough as in the competition between top and bottom are relatively close and equal. Not saying top tier of the league, but middle tier. Ottawa proved and I could tell on paper, that they wouldnt be a push over. As you can see when the head to head records are broken down, it was pretty close. I also stated that the Canadian division is around the middle of the league, not the top. Tough as in its a dog fight between 2 middle of the league teams each night, for their 2 points. Yea we arent a division with top of the league rosters. But we also arent a division with bottom of the league feeders like LAK, SJS, ANA, BUF, NJD, CBJ, DET

edit: top teams vs bottom teams in the other divisions were not close.. especially in the West division. The MassMutual east you can easily pick 4 of 5 teams to be a lock for playoffs.

Equal competition top to bottom = tough to make playoffs as each game is almost a coin toss as to who is going to win each game. Its a dog fight each night.

WSH, PIT, BOS, NYI, FLA, TBL, CAR, VGK, COL are all teams that are clearly in the upper echelon of the league and what makes it even easier for them is having teams like BUF, NJD, ANA, LAK, SJS, CBJ, DET in their divisions, teams that are clearly bottom of the league.

Even with an off night or injuries in the lineup,

WSH, PIT, BOS, NYI > BUF, NJD, NYR, PHI

FLA, TBL, CAR, NSH, DAL > DET, CHI, CBJ

VGK, COL, MIN, STL > ARZ, LAK, SJS, ANA

In the Canadian division though, injuries had a bigger impact on a teams ability to win consistently. WPG and Montreal had a few injuries during the year and their record was reflective of Ehlers, Gallagher, Weber missing time. Same goes for Vancouver. We had a shotgun start to the year and fell behind quick. However after some practice time 13 games into the season and a bit of rest we began to claw our way back into playoff potential. We lost Pettersson, but we continued to play well and we went 8-3-1 leading up to the COVID shut down. 
Pettersson + COVID = playoff team

No Pettersson + No COVID = playoff team

No Pettersson + COVID = not a playoff team.

I mean just look at how injuries affected Toronto, no Tavares and they blew a 3-1, series lead.., AGAIN.

The Jets went from sweeping to being swept with the absence of Scheifele.

Yes the Montreal Canadiens and the truth of the Northern Division are in for a real awakening when they face a top team like COL or VGK next round. But I dont believe Montreal is going to go down easily.

The whole point of this was to show that the division we play in and the standings at the end of the season will not correlate to the same result next season. We will get our Buffalo Wings roast Duck. We’ll even get our fair share of Kraken Calamari to fill up on.

Edited by knucklehead91

11 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

I guess you guys are misinterpreting what I mean by tough. And I stated it multiple times.

Tough as in the competition between top and bottom are relatively close and equal. Not saying top tier of the league, but middle tier. Ottawa proved and I could tell on paper, that they wouldnt be a push over. As you can see when the head to head records are broken down, it was pretty close. I also stated that the Canadian division is around the middle of the league, not the top. Tough as in its a dog fight between 2 middle of the league teams each night, for their 2 points. Yea we arent a division with top of the league rosters. But we also arent a division with bottom of the league feeders like LAK, SJS, ANA, BUF, NJD, CBJ, DET

edit: top teams vs bottom teams in the other divisions were not close.. especially in the West division. The MassMutual east you can easily pick 4 of 5 teams to be a lock for playoffs.

Equal competition top to bottom = tough to make playoffs as each game is almost a coin toss as to who is going to win each game. Its a dog fight each night.

WSH, PIT, BOS, NYI, FLA, TBL, CAR, VGK, COL are all teams that are clearly in the upper echelon of the league and what makes it even easier for them is having teams like BUF, NJD, ANA, LAK, SJS, CBJ, DET in their divisions, teams that are clearly bottom of the league.

In the Canadian division though, injuries had a bigger impact on a teams ability to win consistently. WPG and Montreal had a few injuries during the year and their record was reflective of Ehlers, Gallagher, Weber missing time. Same goes for Vancouver. We had a shotgun start to the year and fell behind quick. However after some practice time 13 games into the season and a bit of rest we began to claw our way back into playoff potential. We lost Pettersson, but we continued to play well and we went 8-3-1 leading up to the COVID shut down. 

I mean just look at how injuries affected Toronto, no Tavares and they blew a 3-1, series lead.., AGAIN.

Yes the Montreal Canadiens and the truth of the Northern Division are in for a real awakening when they face a top team like COL or VGK next round. But I dont believe Montreal is going to go down easily.

The whole point of this was to show that the division we play in and the standings at the end of the season will not correlate to the same result next season. We will get our Buffalo Wings roast Duck. We’ll even get our fair share of Kraken Calamari to fill up on.

I  completely agree a 56 game season where the Canucks played 6 NHL teams does not correlate to next year.

I still don't think the division was tough. I think some of the bad teams were closely matched or there wasn't as big of a gap to your point. 

Just now, Chris12345 said:

I  completely agree a 56 game season where the Canucks played 6 NHL teams does not correlate to next year.

I still don't think the division was tough. I think some of the bad teams were closely matched or there wasn't as big of a gap to your point. 

Precisely, there wasnt a big gap. Which is what made it tough to win. That is what I meant by tough. Each team had to claw and scrape for their wins. Add on any mid season adversity and the wins become much harder.

i am in no way insinuating the division was top tier. It was a pretty well balanced division and 6 of those teams could have been a playoff team, unfortunately 2 teams did have to miss out, the question at the start of the year was what 2 teams?

Every other division you could pretty easily tell who was in and who was out before the season even started. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

Precisely, there wasnt a big gap. Which is what made it tough to win. That is what I meant by tough. Each team had to claw and scrape for their wins. Add on any mid season adversity and the wins become much harder.

i am in no way insinuating the division was top tier. It was a pretty well balanced division and 6 of those teams could have been a playoff team, unfortunately 2 teams did have to miss out, the question at the start of the year was what 2 teams?

Every other division you could pretty easily tell who was in and who was out before the season even started. 

Didn't 3 teams miss? I'm lost now lol 

4 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Didn't 3 teams miss? I'm lost now lol 

"6 of those (7) teams could have been a playoff team ..."

Ottawa was always going to miss, in most people's opinion, thus just 2

Edited by Googlie

10 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

You have put some good effort into your analysis,

but I am not sure a+b=c

Vancouver and Calgary do not belong in the playoffs in any division, and Ottawa is young.

People say, "If Vancouver had one a game here and a game there, they would have made the playoffs"

But they did, there are probably 20 teams in the league that would have spanked us those first 2 games after covid,

but Toronto stumbled into town with 2nd +3rd string goalies and Holtby beat them both.

I look at eh Canucks , Edmonton and Toronto, ( and I know I'll get flamed for this) and I don't see much difference

Edmonton prepared for the playoffs by getting McD his 100 points

TO prepared by getting Matthews the Rocket Trophy

I see Vancouver trending in the same direction with Hughes playing all 2 minutes of the power play 

You forget that the Canucks hot streak in March coincided with the Petey injury

None of these teams play a good "team game"

and that is what I thought this thread would be about

12 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Fire Green and we can forgo all the excuses and start celebrating winning a Cup.

#confirmed.

(to 'elaborate'  = one-liner trolling 'champion' exposed by a mere second line lol)

Edited by oldnews

25 minutes ago, lmm said:

You have put some good effort into your analysis,

but I am not sure a+b=c

Vancouver and Calgary do not belong in the playoffs in any division, and Ottawa is young.

People say, "If Vancouver had one a game here and a game there, they would have made the playoffs"

But they did, there are probably 20 teams in the league that would have spanked us those first 2 games after covid,

but Toronto stumbled into town with 2nd +3rd string goalies and Holtby beat them both.

I look at eh Canucks , Edmonton and Toronto, ( and I know I'll get flamed for this) and I don't see much difference

Edmonton prepared for the playoffs by getting McD his 100 points

TO prepared by getting Matthews the Rocket Trophy

I see Vancouver trending in the same direction with Hughes playing all 2 minutes of the power play 

You forget that the Canucks hot streak in March coincided with the Petey injury

None of these teams play a good "team game"

and that is what I thought this thread would be about

You’re missing the point. I already stated the canadian division is middle of the league. I never once said they were top. I broke it down pretty clearly. 
Wether or not all 7 canadian teams are bottom feeders, top tier or middle of the league, the division is equal. There are no massive advantages. The only advantages were injuries or scheduling advantages, not overall roster advantages. This is what makes it tough. Unlike the western division who had 3 bottom feeder teams, or in the east with BUF and NJD or the central with DET and CHI. There were MASSIVE advantages for 1/3 to 1/2 the games played.

Also missing Pettersson and the hot streak was not something I overlooked.  Thats a point you arent really understanding. This team was winning without Pettersson. With him, we would be in a playoff spot IF we didnt get decimated by COVID. Vancouver went  .500 without Pettersson. Without Petey Pre-covid we went

7-3-1*

Post COVID without Petey we went 

7-11-2

sorry in my OP i had them as 8-3-1 pre-covid without Petey.

Regardless the team was still winning without him. It wasnt until after COVID that we derailed again for a very obvious and understandable reason. With him and no COVID this team would have continued to win. Our schedule towards the end of the season was to be much lighter with more practice and rest and Vancouvers opponents were to be going through the much tougher portion of their scheduling. COVID took our lighter schedule and condensed it into 19 games in 30 days when it was originally 19 games in 45+ days. 

Also in a normal divisional alignment CGY and VAN were top 4 in their respective division. Comparing our division to other divisions and where we would fit is not what we are discussing. Because NSH, MIN, STL are not playoff teams in the Central div and probably not playoff teams in the East either.

Next season in a normal division and no divisional restrictions, Vancouver and Calgary should be a playoff team. We will have 3 bottom feeders, an expansion team which could be a disaster or they could be like VGK but its still yet to be determined. VGK EDM VAN CGY SJS LAK ANA and SEA. Thats our division and thats a lot to look forward to.

The Canucks like i said a few times now… Are closer to the middle of the league than they are the bottom. This is the optimism I am trying to bring forth to Canuck fans for next season. We are not in the same boat as LAK, ANA, SJS, DET, ARZ, CBJ, BUF etc. We are a mid tier team with an opportunity next season to make the playoffs.