The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hart Memorial Trophy finalists unveiled

Rate this topic

2021 Hart Memorial Trophy  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Hart Memorial Trophy?

• Nathan MacKinnon
    • Auston Matthews
    • Connor McDavid

This poll is closed to new votes

15 hours ago, DeNiro said:

The Hart is becoming a bit of a joke.

They have the Art Ross for a reason. Points aren’t the only thing to be considered when voting for the Hart.

Mackinnon having 35 less points doesn’t mean he didn’t contribute more to his teams overall success. How is it fair if one team is way more offensive or has a way better powerplay?

I think it should be a combination of all stats that are considered for this award.

While I do agree that the Hart needs to consider more than point production, I think this year of all years would be one of the more unusual ones to give it to the guy who didn't lead the league in scoring. I'm not sure I've seen a guy drag his team to success in my 20 years of watching more than McDavid did and he scored at the highest rate we've seen any player score in about 25 years. What's more, offense actually went down in the NHL this year and McDavid still smashed any reasonable expectations. Without him, I wouldn't be surprised if the Oilers were bottom 5 in the NHL. Without MacKinnon, I think the Avalanche are still a deadly team with the likes of Makar, Toews, Girard, Grubauer, Rantanen, Landeskog, Burakovsky, etc. and probably comfortably make the playoffs. See Nikita Kucherov in Tampa for a similar comparison.

Edmonton's one big failing is that all they have is McDavid (with one big helper in Draisaitl) and he still brought them to the playoffs. I don't believe the Oilers will ever succeed in the playoffs unless they get a deeper offense, but playoffs aren't part of the discussion regarding the Hart.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

17 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Should be MacKinnon but it'll be McDavid. Nothing sells awards better than ragdolling the worst team in the league 9 times and then playing the Covid Canucks 10 times. 

Can't forget that MacKinnon lead his team to the President's trophy in a much more stacked division.

Was it really though?   LA, ANA, SJ, ARI lol <<<< MTL, CAL, OTT, VAN ... 

Our division split way more points then any other, Vegas, COL got to feast on those teams.  St. Louis isn't as good anymore, and MIN would have fit nicely in the middle of the row in our division at best. 

Edited by IBatch

6 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Was it really though?   LA, ANA, SJ, ARI lol <<<< MTL, CAL, OTT, VAN ... 

Our division split way more points then any other, Vegas, COL got to feast on those teams.  St. Louis isn't as good anymore, and MIN would have fit nicely in the middle of the row in our division at best. 

I think MIN is better than Edmonton though. They would have easily been 2nd if they played in the North Division

14 hours ago, DeNiro said:

The Hart is becoming a bit of a joke.

They have the Art Ross for a reason. Points aren’t the only thing to be considered when voting for the Hart.

Mackinnon having 35 less points doesn’t mean he didn’t contribute more to his teams overall success. How is it fair if one team is way more offensive or has a way better powerplay?

I think it should be a combination of all stats that are considered for this award.

I agree it most definitely should not be just about points.   That said sometimes it goes a little too far the other way - case in point Perry's Hart trophy.   I've read several articles about how "not all Harts are created equal " from year to year" and Perry's is always brought up as possibly the weakest one (and the wrong choice) given aside from one massive beast of a month he was good but not great amongst other things.  If that month happened mid season he wouldn't have won...Definitely doesn't compare to Mario's or some of WGs does it.

This one certainly isn't a normal one.  Covid is part of that.    COL is a stacked team.   EDM is not although has some ok players.   McDavid is doing something special right now and it should be acknowledged, without him his team is massively worse off, for sure not a playoff team anyways.   The pure definition of the trophy in that regard.   It's not about the best player in the world it's about the one who's most valuable to his teams success.    

WG had how many Art Ross and how many Harts?   A massive pile of hardware, but Hulls incredible season and Mario coming along, Messier in his peak, and a bad back that almost made him retire kind of changed things up.   Those of course are easy ones.    It's a lot tougher these days unless someone has an incredible season like the Sedins did when Crosby went down, like Kucherov etc.   Like Thornton's massive dead puck era year...Goalies win them sometimes too (but only MTL ones lol).   Defensenan do get overlooked, think Pronger might be the last one to do it,  and much deserved his peak years were unbelievable, controlled the entire pace of the games he played like a maestro.

Guess my point is sometimes they get it wrong, but usually there has been a good balance  (definitely not an automatic on points alone)...They got it wrong with Lidstrom last Norris - a total disgrace, -2 on the season,  it was like they didn't even watch him or the others at the time but with his main competition gone (what remained anyways was pretty bad) Pronger and Niedermayer and Zubov done etc ..   Not to mention Stevens, Al Mac, Leetch, Blake, Coffey, Borque, the competition he couldn't beat when they were in their 30's in his 20's ... all Norris's aren't the same either.   The ones Borque, Coffey,  Leetch, Blake Chelios, Al Mac etc won were a lot tougher to win  ... Coffey won his last his 15th season and was second in Hart voting that year ...

And there are many examples of the Hart not going to the Ross winner.  Sometimes it's so close (voting) others not close at all.     This year is a no brainer.  Expect McDavid to win by a landslide, he's arrived and in his prime.   But i agree it should never just be about the points. 

• 3 weeks later...

@VintageCanuckis elliot friedman? that makes sense to me! jk.

I remember in training camp and i was unemployed I literally would refresh botchford and other media twitter accounts just one after the other and i still couldn't beat you! You must have a specific device that alerts only to canucks/nhl media and links with scripts that automatically bring up new threads 

Edited by Petey_BOI

On 6/10/2021 at 10:06 AM, Fanuck said:

Popularity Contest choice says:

happy edmonton oilers GIF by NHL

But the actual player of these three most valuable to his team (the definition of the award) should be:

ice hockey celebration GIF by NHL

Take McDavid off the Oilers they'd be a bottom feeder, take Mackinnon off the Avs they're still probably top three in the west. It's not the player's fault the Oilers squander his talent.

Edited by Kurgom
  • Upvote 1