The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cheering for the Montreal Canadiens

Rate this topic

Me_

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Montreal was one of the few fanbases who were rooting for us due to their rivalry with Boston.

No shame in rooting for the cup to come back to Canada.   Where it belongs.   Pretty cool seeing Lafluer and some of the old guys come out in support of them too.  

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

TBH, I'm surprised so many people like Gallagher...

I can't stand him. To me, he's Matt Cooke 2.0.....

Same here, I find his antics so cheap. turning his back on hits last second and all of the diving he does to draw penalties. It's too bad since he plays hard and is talented. Plus get rid of that tinted visor, he looks like what you get when you order an Ovechkin off Wish.

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

TBH, I'm surprised so many people like Gallagher...

I can't stand him. To me, he's Matt Cooke 2.0.....

Matt Cooke was mainly just a "taunter"/"instigator" as a Canuck.  Rarely pulled that kind of cheap "knee on knee" stuff (if at all).  He didn't turn into Brad Marchand's twin brother until AFTER he left the Canucks.  

13 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Meh. All time leading scorer...playing in the same division his whole career....not really a surprise....

Leafs fans are nowhere near as bad in my experience....they all remember what happened in '94....

Correct me if I’m wrong. But Gretzky didn’t play his whole career in one division. I think you’re forgetting his time with the Rangers and the Blues. 

Well as my username suggests, I'll be pulling for Montreal.  

I'm hoping for an Islanders-Habs final, that would be wonderful. 

18 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Correct me if I’m wrong. But Gretzky didn’t play his whole career in one division. I think you’re forgetting his time with the Rangers and the Blues. 

Yeah...I should have said most of his career...

....nice catch...totally destroys my point...

Although I vowed to not cheer for nay CDN team since 2011, I wanna see Burr win a cup.

So, yeah I'm going to cheer for Montreal.

I'd be fine if NYI or MTL win the cup. 

Don't want TB with 20 mil cap circumvention to win one although they are most likely to win.

Hate the Avs since Bertuzzi incident. So I don't want to see them win.

Vegas, I don't care if they win it but we have a bit of a playoff rivalry from last season.

If the Habs is in you know the TO media will spin it to that even though they lost it was to the champions so that makes them the second best team, and that the Habs just got lucky with the Injuries to the leafs players so in reality they are the best team and would have won it all

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, UKNuck96 said:

If the Habs is in you know the TO media will spin it to that even though they lost it was to the champions so that makes them the second best team, and that the Habs just got lucky with the Injuries to the leafs players so in reality they are the best team and would have won it all

You know it!   

10 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Can't stand the Habs....especially can't stand Habs fans....bragging about all those championships....back when there were six teams...

Firmly on the Islanders bandwagon and if they lose, then whoever is still playing, except Montreal...

Umm... what about all the ones since expansion?   Six in the 70's, one in the 80's and one in the 90's ... for two decades post expansion they had the best overall team, we're still a top team  in the 80's made it to the final twice, and we're still a great team throughout battling two other dynasties (21 team league).     Only habs fans i know are the old ones that used to have to pick either TO or Habs growing up because there were no Canucks, and they haven't bragged about it.   Not once.   

Have watched us play in MTL many times - have zero issue with their history, their fans or the statues outside.   Going in wintertime is a bit of a treat really, outdoor rink awesome eats and drinks and the fans sure like to sing  after each goal, a jolly bunch.    Don't seem to mind  i can't speak french either.   MTL is a great city, and hockey is in their blood, nothing wrong with them being proud of their heritage. 

Here near OTT some car flags have popped up, of the Habs, just like the Canucks flags did.    Im aware of Cherry's alligance to Boston in 2011, before that he was propping up the Canucks often enough.  Separate topic now but feel it's pretty petty to not reciprocate some Canadian team hockey love back even if Boston was getting preferential treatment on the media during the final.   This "nobody likes us we don't care " attitude/slogan isn't my favourite look for our team, i will always root for the last Canadian team standing over any US team, being the Habs makes it easier (although i was hoping it would be WNP).    

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

Umm... what about all the ones since expansion?   Six in the 70's, one in the 80's and one in the 90's ... for two decades post expansion they had the best overall team, we're still a top team  in the 80's made it to the final twice, and we're still a great team throughout battling two other dynasties (21 team league).     Only habs fans i know are the old ones that used to have to pick either TO or Habs growing up because there were no Canucks, and they haven't bragged about it.   Not once.   

Have watched us play in MTL many times - have zero issue with their history, their fans or the statues outside.   Going in wintertime is a bit of a treat really, outdoor rink awesome eats and drinks and the fans sure like to sing  after each goal, a jolly bunch.    Don't seem to mind  i can't speak french either.   MTL is a great city, and hockey is in their blood, nothing wrong with them being proud of their heritage. 

Here near OTT some car flags have popped up, of the Habs, just like the Canucks flags did.    Im aware of Cherry's alligance to Boston in 2011, before that he was propping up the Canucks often enough.  Separate topic now but feel it's pretty petty to not reciprocate some Canadian team hockey love back even if Boston was getting preferential treatment on the media during the final.   This "nobody likes us we don't care " attitude/slogan isn't my favourite look for our team, i will always root for the last Canadian team standing over any US team, being the Habs makes it easier (although i was hoping it would be WNP).    

We apparently know different Habs fans....the ones I know brag about it all the time.

I saw two games in the old Forum, back in the late 70's.....it was okay, I suppose. The Habs crushed the Canucks and Kings on consecutive Saturdays. The fans definitely were rubbing it in, but we never felt threatened in any way. (I was there with my hockey team, so the fact that there was 20 of us might have made a difference)

I'm not really sure what the Cherry / Boston angle has to do with me though. I don't really care who else cheers for the Canucks when their team is out and the whole "The league is out to get us" routine has always bothered me as well. In fact I argue this with other Canuck fans all the time.