The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

SCSF: (1) Vegas Golden Knights vs. (4) Montreal Canadiens | Canadiens win series 4-2

Rate this topic

2021 Stanley Cup Semifinals  

128 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Golden Knights in 4
    • Golden Knights in 5
    • Golden Knights in 6
    • Golden Knights in 7
    • Canadiens in 4
    • Canadiens in 5
    • Canadiens in 6
    • Canadiens in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/17/2021 at 01:00 AM

1 minute ago, D-Money said:

This is revisionist history, and just plain stupid.

Nobody thought Vegas had a good team, until they took the ice. Then everyone found out how good the professional scouts there were. 

Go ahead, get on CapFriendly and try a mock draft, and pick a team that will be playoff-calibre. 

They even from what I remember passed on players they could have taken because a few teams asked them not to take them, Vegas was full of a bunch of journeymen and the odd star declining that came together and bonded, a great example of the whole being greater than the sum of the parts. Heck, even Fleury wasn’t what he once was but somehow found a new life in Vegas.

I strongly disagree, Vegas was not gifted a superstar team, the players they got just happened to fit together well.

Seattle will have the same rules when they enter the league, let’s see what happens with them.

2 hours ago, Tom Sestito said:

I had a look at that Vegas finals roster again and I still don’t think they were gifted some insanely favorable situation. Gms were more so just stupid lol.

Even that first season finals team - it was more cinderella rather than deserving imo. They really improved after that first season.

I have to agree that McPhee and McCrimmon did an excellent job playing the other GMs and deserve full credit for the team they selected. However the amount of excellent players available to pick from doesn’t compare to the dregs that Buffalo and Vancouver had to rake through to try and build a team. In our draft other teams were able to protect 2 goalies and 15 skaters. For Vegas teams were only able to protect 7 forwards, 3 d and 1 goalie or 8 skaters and 1 goalie.

I can’t speak for others but my hatred (jealousy) stems from this. Imagine who Seattle would take from us if we were able to protect 15 and 2. It’s good that expansion teams have a chance to be better but it still hurts that the difference is so large from when we entered the league.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

It’s nice the national media is at least calling out the reffing for what it is.

Never got that for the Canucks but I’m glad the Habs can unite the media against the reffing. Most years we just get the usual apologists saying “they’ve got a tough job”.

This time you can’t defend the ref and say he didn’t see it. He stood there and watched a blatant punch to the face of another player with no call.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

He stood there and watched a blatant punch to the face of another player with no call.

AN improvement from when they gave Daniel 2 and 10 for getting punched in the face. Slow progress indeed.

• Cheers 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

It’s nice the national media is at least calling out the reffing for what it is.

Never got that for the Canucks but I’m glad the Habs can unite the media against the reffing. Most years we just get the usual apologists saying “they’ve got a tough job”.

This time you can’t defend the ref and say he didn’t see it. He stood there and watched a blatant punch to the face of another player with no call.

Watch Bettman get on camera again and claim that the continued misconduct of the refs is acceptable.  Neither of these crooks should ever be allowed to work another game at any level after how badly they have disgraced the sport during this series.  The media needs to push hard for honest officiating because it's clear the NHL won't clean up their act voluntarily.

• Cheers 4

1 hour ago, 4petesake said:

I have to agree that McPhee and McCrimmon did an excellent job playing the other GMs and deserve full credit for the team they selected. However the amount of excellent players available to pick from doesn’t compare to the dregs that Buffalo and Vancouver had to rake through to try and build a team. In our draft other teams were able to protect 2 goalies and 15 skaters. For Vegas teams were only able to protect 7 forwards, 3 d and 1 goalie or 8 skaters and 1 goalie.

I can’t speak for others but my hatred (jealousy) stems from this. Imagine who Seattle would take from us if we were able to protect 15 and 2. It’s good that expansion teams have a chance to be better but it still hurts that the difference is so large from when we entered the league.

Back then there were less teams to choose from but we’ve had a 50 year head start, not knowing how bad we’ve sucked I would have taken the 50 year head start every time. 

54 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Watch Bettman get on camera again and claim that the continued misconduct of the refs is acceptable.  Neither of these crooks should ever be allowed to work another game at any level after how badly they have disgraced the sport during this series.  The media needs to push hard for honest officiating because it's clear the NHL won't clean up their act voluntarily.

Amazing how the fix is in against any team most Canuck fans are voting for, I mean, what are the odds?

Life is a lot happier voting for Vegas.

7 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Amazing how the fix is in against any team most Canuck fans are voting for, I mean, what are the odds?

Life is a lot happier voting for Vegas.

refs have been terrible for both sides, but MTL has been getting some soft calls and vegas seems to get those more often than them.

29 minutes ago, TNucks1 said:

refs have been terrible for both sides, but MTL has been getting some soft calls and vegas seems to get those more often than them.

I don’t think it’s been any worse than any other series, this game is played at lightning speed I’m surprised how much they do get right. Hockey has got to be the hardest game to ref. Thing about a lot of rules is they’re subjective so same play both calling or not calling a penalty can be the right call.

Bottom line, very, very few games are decided by a bad call but it’s an easy excuse to blame the refs rather than their team for losing. Sadly Canuck fans seem to be the kings of blaming refs.

Edited by Dumb Nuck

2 hours ago, D-Money said:

This is revisionist history, and just plain stupid.

Nobody thought Vegas had a good team, until they took the ice. Then everyone found out how good the professional scouts there were. 

Go ahead, get on CapFriendly and try a mock draft, and pick a team that will be playoff-calibre. 

as soon as I find out who’s protected and who’s not (officially) I’ll put a solid team together for Seattle that will make a nice run in the coming playoffs.  

vegas on paper had a great team… from the start, this is no secret, whilst it holds true no one knew how they would fair on the ice and play as well as they had, it also wasn’t a complete shock!  And my comments are not stupid.   Well…. Not that stupid.

Seattle will draft and be gifted an incredible playoff team.  

It’s also not “stupid” to feel they should grind it out by drafting and signing free agents like how expansion teams once did.  

Edited by sassbs

40 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Back then there were less teams to choose from but we’ve had a 50 year head start, not knowing how bad we’ve sucked I would have taken the 50 year head start every time. 

I’m not sure how many players on a roster in 1969 but let’s assume 23 like today.  Each team protected 17 so Buffalo and Vancouver were selecting from 6 players x 12 teams = 72. Both teams selected 20 so 2 teams were choosing from a field of 72.

Assuming 30 teams with a 23 man roster that can only protect 9 or 10 players in 2016 means Vegas selected 30 players from a field of between (30 x 13) or (30 x 14). That means Vegas had between 390 and 420 players to choose from.

I could be missing something or my math could be off but the point remains that Vegas got to choose from a massively larger pool of players. What Vancouver, Buffalo or Vegas have done with their teams since is irrelevant to the discussion of the advantage that Vegas had and Seattle will have, although hopefully GMs have learned a few lessons.

I have no problem with someone liking Vegas, and who the hell would care if I did anyway, I was only responding to an opinion that Vegas was not gifted some insanely favourable situation. IMO they were gifted exactly that. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, sassbs said:

as soon as I find out who’s protected and who’s not (officially) I’ll put a solid team together for Seattle that will make a nice run in the coming playoffs.  

vegas on paper had a great team… from the start, this is no secret, whilst it holds true no one knew how they would fair on the ice and play as well as they had, it also wasn’t a complete shock!  And my comments are not stupid.   Well…. Not that stupid.

Seattle will draft and be gifted an incredible playoff team.  

It’s also not “stupid” to feel they should grind it out by drafting and signing free agents like how expansion teams once did.  

Grinding it out costs the league and players money through revenue sharing.  The players even wanted to make the rules more generous for Vegas as they were concerned that if Vegas struggled it would impact escrow.

19 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

I’m not sure how many players on a roster in 1969 but let’s assume 23 like today.  Each team protected 17 so Buffalo and Vancouver were selecting from 6 players x 12 teams = 72. Both teams selected 20 so 2 teams were choosing from a field of 72.

Assuming 30 teams with a 23 man roster that can only protect 9 or 10 players in 2016 means Vegas selected 30 players from a field of between (30 x 13) or (30 x 14). That means Vegas had between 390 and 420 players to choose from.

I could be missing something or my math could be off but the point remains that Vegas got to choose from a massively larger pool of players. What Vancouver, Buffalo or Vegas have done with their teams since is irrelevant to the discussion of the advantage that Vegas had and Seattle will have, although hopefully GMs have learned a few lessons.

I have no problem with someone liking Vegas, and who the hell would care if I did anyway, I was only responding to an opinion that Vegas was not gifted some insanely favourable situation. IMO they were gifted exactly that. 

Well, with a smaller talent pool wouldn’t the talent be better so Vancouver and Buffalo actually had the advantage. 

Here is a link to their roster from the first season, sorry, but not that impressive on paper. Vegas wasn’t gifted, they came together as a team. I believe Vegas bookies had them at 1000:1 for winning the cup (I know someone that had bet $100 on them) and those guys are pretty smart at odds.

https://thehockeywriters.com/golden-knights-inaugural-roster-where-are-they-now/

Irregardless, just more excuses for our failures, losers complain, winners win.

Edited by Dumb Nuck
  • Upvote 1