The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

SCSF: (1) Vegas Golden Knights vs. (4) Montreal Canadiens | Canadiens win series 4-2

Rate this topic

2021 Stanley Cup Semifinals  

128 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Golden Knights in 4
    • Golden Knights in 5
    • Golden Knights in 6
    • Golden Knights in 7
    • Canadiens in 4
    • Canadiens in 5
    • Canadiens in 6
    • Canadiens in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/17/2021 at 01:00 AM

9 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Had to check Anderson’s stats again to make sure they were right…

He only has 1 goal and zero assists in 12 games. A career total of 9 points in 33 playoff games.

Im starting to see why Columbus let him go. That’s simply not good enough for a player like him who should thrive as the intensity ramps up.

It’s pretty strange actually. Many of us wanted Anderson here, because he’s the kind of guy that can play against the heavy teams in the playoffs.

The reality is that he’s putting up JV like numbers in this year’s playoffs.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

3 hours ago, johngould21 said:

Boeser had 23 on a team that was raked through the coals with Covid. I did wish that Toffoli was resigned, but he was brought in last year to fill the gap for Boeser who was out with injury. 

Read what I was responding to. If Toffoli only had a strong season because he played against weak competition, why did the Canucks players not have career years? They played against the same competetion.

The covid thing is such a garbage excuse. If they had got covid the first day of the season you could use it as an excuse for how they played the whole season. The fact is, the team played terribly long before they got covid. 

And dismissing the season Toffoli had is just people needing to circle the wagons around Bennings horroble decisions. Give the guy credit for what he did rather than slag him to stupidly pretend letting him go was thd smart move. Thats what irritates me.

Like I have said, probably the stupidest assessment Benning has made with this team is thinking they were one Toffoli away from winning a cup. That trade is one actual contenders make. 

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The top Canuck players are all young. Hoglander was a rookie. Podkolzin hasn’t even arrived yet. Pettersson was injured half the year.  Boeser got 23 goals. Only 5 short of Toffoli’s once in a lifetime year. Bo was at 19 goals. Miller was his usual self almost at an 80 point pace.  Are you suggesting these are bad numbers?  Not to mention they all got COVID with 20 games left to play. 

I’m not concerned at all with the forward group moving forward. Same with the goaltending. Demko is already better than Price. It’s the defence that needs fixing. That’s why Benning brought in Brad Shaw. He’s a defensive guru. 

Let’s see what Shaw does with the overall defensive play of the team next year. I have a feeling we are gonna be much better. Adding a couple big bodies at the back will also help. Let’s see what Benning has up his sleeve. 

I can guarantee you we won’t be missing Toffoli next year. You will even forget he exists. 

Its not that I miss Toffoli. He is already gone. Its that people feel the need to dismiss the accomplishments of other players the minute they arent Canucks because they think it makes the Canucks players better by comparison. It doesnt. 

Toffoli would have helped this team have 3 lines that could provide offense and play responsible defensively, just like he did for Montreal. If you think his age means he will fall of a cliff and Benning made a great choice letting him emwalk, then why was it a good idea for Benning to trade for the bum in the first place?

I havent looked but am willing to bet you are one of the people who think the Pearson signing was great. Guess what? He is half the player, regressed badly, and wont be a guy we would miss next year either. But we have him for 3 more. At least Toffoli's career offensive year didnt include 20% of his points coming with an empty net.

Before you say Bo needs Pearson, you should look at the numbers when they play together and apart. It clearly shows its Pearson who needs Horvat to produce, not the other way around.

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Its not that I miss Toffoli. He is already gone. Its that people feel the need to dismiss the accomplishments of other players the minute they arent Canucks because they think it makes the Canucks players better by comparison. It doesnt. 

Toffoli would have helped this team have 3 lines that could provide offense and play responsible defensively, just like he did for Montreal. If you think his age means he will fall of a cliff and Benning made a great choice letting him emwalk, then why was it a good idea for Benning to trade for the bum in the first place?

I havent looked but am willing to bet you are one of the people who think the Pearson signing was great. Guess what? He is half the player, regressed badly, and wont be a guy we would miss next year either. But we have him for 3 more. At least Toffoli's career offensive year didnt include 20% of his points coming with an empty net.

Before you say Bo needs Pearson, you should look at the numbers when they play together and apart. It clearly shows its Pearson who needs Horvat to produce, not the other way around.

I was against the Pearson signing, you can look it up.  We traded for Toffoli because at 28 he wasn't a bum yet.  But he could be at 30 or 31.  Same with Pearson.  The difference is Pearson will be on our 3rd line in a year or two to be used in a checking role and provide secondary offence.  Toffoli on the other hand will be needed by Montreal to play top line minutes in order to get maximum value.  Toffoli can't play on a 3rd line, Pearson can.  So at least Benning played it smartly in that regard.

• Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I was against the Pearson signing, you can look it up.  We traded for Toffoli because at 28 he wasn't a bum yet.  But he could be at 30 or 31.  Same with Pearson.  The difference is Pearson will be on our 3rd line in a year or two to be used in a checking role and provide secondary offence.  Toffoli on the other hand will be needed by Montreal to play top line minutes in order to get maximum value.  Toffoli can't play on a 3rd line, Pearson can.  So at least Benning played it smartly in that regard.

Why can't Toffoli play on the 3rd line?

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You do realize that Toffoli is a really good two way forward, right? He is easily as good as Pearson. And a better offensive player. Toffoli spent time on all 3 of Montreals lines this year and gave them that elusive 3 scoring line group that Benning now says is critical.

If you like Pearson on a 3rd line at 3.25 mil with a ntc, stepping up to Toffoli at 4.25 without one is pretty reasonable.

Saying Toffoli wasnt a bum at 28 but will be at 30 after he just had a great season and is doing great in the playoffs is disingenuous at best. Benning signed Pearson who 2 of the last 3 years actually was kind of a bum. So that argument doesnt square up.

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Probably because he's not very good at defending.  Also, would you want a guy making $4.25 million on your 3rd line?

We've had a guy making $6 million on our 4th line for a while now.:ph34r:

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Read what I was responding to. If Toffoli only had a strong season because he played against weak competition, why did the Canucks players not have career years? They played against the same competetion.

The covid thing is such a garbage excuse. If they had got covid the first day of the season you could use it as an excuse for how they played the whole season. The fact is, the team played terribly long before they got covid. 

And dismissing the season Toffoli had is just people needing to circle the wagons around Bennings horroble decisions. Give the guy credit for what he did rather than slag him to stupidly pretend letting him go was thd smart move. Thats what irritates me.

Like I have said, probably the stupidest assessment Benning has made with this team is thinking they were one Toffoli away from winning a cup. That trade is one actual contenders make. 

Really???? The very fact that the Canuck team, you do remember 21 players and staff were affected? In the middle of a 56 game schedule, they then proceeded to play 19 games in 30 odd days with no practices, only the game day skate.

2 hours ago, johngould21 said:

Really???? The very fact that the Canuck team, you do remember 21 players and staff were affected? In the middle of a 56 game schedule, they then proceeded to play 19 games in 30 odd days with no practices, only the game day skate.

Before covid they won 16 and lost 21 for a .432 win %.

After covid the won 7 and lost 12 for a .368 win %.

This was achieved in the worst division in the league, enough excuses, we suck, we sucked before covid and we sucked after, winners don’t need excuses.

16 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Vegas looks too strong for Montreal. 

As long as they keep hitting Gallagher, Taffoli, Suzuki and Caulfield they should take care of the Habs early. 

Avs look too strong for Vegas in game 1. 7-1 beat down. After 2-0 series lead, it looked like it's over soon.