The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Looking at 3 former Blue jackets to target in the offseason

This is based on the assumption that Hoblty and Virtanen are bought out and that Pettersson and Hughes sign bridge deals for 7.5m Each 

It's no secret that our depth is pretty terrible but with the recent coaching change with Brad Shaw coming in and JB saying he would like to be aggressive this offseason. It had me thinking who was our options and I had the idea of looking at these 3 former Blue Jackets in Brandon Saad, David Savard and Alex Wennberg. There is obviously a familiarity with Brad Shaw and these 3 guys. They would be a very ideal fit as our Biggest needs are a Defensive responsible RHD Which Savard is and another Top 6 winger which Saad is.

Here are the scouting reports and contract projections according to Evolving hockey, Elite prospects and Sports forecaster respectably

Brandon Saad

Though I am sure not a stranger to most Canuck fans, Here is the scouting report on him

"A hard-working winger who protects the puck well. A strong skater with an excellent shot. Moves well and is a good finisher. Plays hard and with a lot of strength. Reads the game well." (Matias Strozyk)

Evolving Hockey has his contract prediction at 3 Years at 4,709,000 Mill per

David Savard

"Excels at defending his position and shutting down high-scoring opponents. Is a good puck mover from the back end. Has great lateral mobility and plenty of size. Is rugged and a fearless shot blocker. Can log big minutes and be relied upon in important situations."

Evolving Hockey has his contract prediction at 2 Years at 2,759,000

Alex Wennberg

"A pure skilled forward, he has a knack for putting up good point totals thanks to great creativity and vision. Is at his best with the puck on his stick and is very good when passing it. Can play a two-way game at the NHL level."

Evolving Hockey has his contract prediction at 3 Years at 4,086,000

Lineup

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Höglander - Horvat - Saad

Pearson - Wennberg - Podkolzin

Hughes - Savard

Schmidt - Myers

Would love to know your guys opinions on this I think these moves would be very beneficial to our depth and improving the team while without losing assets.

3 hours ago, CanucksCountry said:

This is based on the assumption that Hoblty and Virtanen are bought out and that Pettersson and Hughes sign bridge deals for 7.5m Each 

It's no secret that our depth is pretty terrible but with the recent coaching change with Brad Shaw coming in and JB saying he would like to be aggressive this offseason. It had me thinking who was our options and I had the idea of looking at these 3 former Blue Jackets in Brandon Saad, David Savard and Alex Wennberg. There is obviously a familiarity with Brad Shaw and these 3 guys. They would be a very ideal fit as our Biggest needs are a Defensive responsible RHD Which Savard is and another Top 6 winger which Saad is.

Here are the scouting reports and contract projections according to Evolving hockey, Elite prospects and Sports forecaster respectably

Brandon Saad

Though I am sure not a stranger to most Canuck fans, Here is the scouting report on him

"A hard-working winger who protects the puck well. A strong skater with an excellent shot. Moves well and is a good finisher. Plays hard and with a lot of strength. Reads the game well." (Matias Strozyk)

David Savard

"Excels at defending his position and shutting down high-scoring opponents. Is a good puck mover from the back end. Has great lateral mobility and plenty of size. Is rugged and a fearless shot blocker. Can log big minutes and be relied upon in important situations."

Alex Wennberg

"A pure skilled forward, he has a knack for putting up good point totals thanks to great creativity and vision. Is at his best with the puck on his stick and is very good when passing it. Can play a two-way game at the NHL level."

Lineup

Hughes - Savard

Schmidt - Myers

Would love to know your guys opinions on this I think these moves would be very beneficial to our depth and improving the team while without losing assets.

While I’d definitely be on board with Wenneberg and Saad, I’m not so sure about David Savard.   Savard has the type of game that does NOT age well and he’s already 30.  I could see a guy like Savard becoming a liability very quickly, and I very much doubt that he’d sign a two year deal with us.

Wennberg and Saad would be great, but the Canucks would have to find a way to clear massive cap space. 

::::This is the part where I suggest that we trade Myers, Roussel, and our 1st to Seattle for a 6th or 7th round pick and get flamed :-p::::    

The Canucks then use that freed up 9 million on Saad and Wennberg.

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Saad-Horvat-Hoglander

Pearson-Wennberg-Podkolzin

Motte-Beagle-MacEwen

i'ld like someone to project our cap after petey and quinn are signed, edler and sutter are let walk and we trade, or buyout ericksson, virtanen, roussel, vesey and holtby. i was hoping jan would do it, he is good at that kind of planning. i find us still unable to afford much unless we trade a big contract. i could be wrong.

18 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i'ld like someone to project our cap after petey and quinn are signed, edler and sutter are let walk and we trade, or buyout ericksson, virtanen, roussel, vesey and holtby. i was hoping jan would do it, he is good at that kind of planning. i find us still unable to afford much unless we trade a big contract. i could be wrong.

vesey’s contract   is up 

I suspect Saad will get a grossly inflated contract (both term/dollars) by some desperate GM who watched him in the p/o this year - pass.

I suspect Savard will get a grossly inflated contract (both term/dollars) by some desperate GM who covets his size/right hand shot - pass.

I suspect Wennberg will get a grossly inflated contract (both term/dollars) by some desperate GM who needs a younger centerman with 20g/40pt potential.

Please don't let us be that desperate GM that gives out inflated term/dollar...... 

Agreed with Wennberg (hopefully around $2 million?) and Savard (probably closer to $4-$5 million) but I want to see what we have in Podkolzin before shopping for a wing (which is probably the easiest position to get depth -- heck we even tried Highmore in the top-6/ top 9 last season so we're pretty stocked with depth there).

Edited by Phil_314

4 hours ago, Drakrami said:

I'd be shocked if 2.8mil AAV is the highest Savard can get. I'm thinking more like 5.5mil for 6 years. But then it's COVID.... 

I would be surprised if he got more than 4 million per. Due to the flat cap. 

4 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

While I’d definitely be on board with Wenneberg and Saad, I’m not so sure about David Savard.   Savard has the type of game that does NOT age well and he’s already 30.  I could see a guy like Savard becoming a liability very quickly, and I very much doubt that he’d sign a two year deal with us.

Wennberg and Saad would be great, but the Canucks would have to find a way to clear massive cap space. 

::::This is the part where I suggest that we trade Myers, Roussel, and our 1st to Seattle for a 6th or 7th round pick and get flamed :-p::::    

The Canucks then use that freed up 9 million on Saad and Wennberg.

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Saad-Horvat-Hoglander

Pearson-Wennberg-Podkolzin

Motte-Beagle-MacEwen

Do you actually think Myers has negative value….

11 hours ago, CanucksCountry said:

Brandon Saad

David Savard

Alex Wennberg

Lineup

Hughes - Savard

Schmidt - Myers

Last time I checked, Brandon Saad plays for the Avalanche.

Ooops, sorry...I re-read your topic title.  I'll show myself out.

Edited by bigbadcanucks

3 hours ago, Dats hockey said:

Do you actually think Myers has negative value….

I’m not 100% sure but he might?

6,000,000 AAV’s are usually given to top pairing calibre dmen and so you have to ask yourself, is Myers a top pairing calibre dman right now?   I would argue that he’s a #4, 2nd pairing guy.

4 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

I’m not 100% sure but he might?

6,000,000 AAV’s are usually given to top pairing calibre dmen and so you have to ask yourself, is Myers a top pairing calibre dman right now?   I would argue that he’s a #4, 2nd pairing guy.

Top pairing D on their third contract get somewhere between 7-11m

if you look at a list of contracts he’s honestly right where you’d expect him to be

Edited by Dats hockey
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

If Savard takes a 2 or 3 year deal for "Chris Tanev" Money, that's worth jumping on.

The other two I'm not as concerned with. Our forwards (if they "let the kids play") should be good enough; they are hamstrung by their reliance on scrambling all over the defensive zone and poor breakouts as a result.

If our defensive structures improve along with a "better" replacement for Edler (Which Savard absolutely would be), I think we'd be a vastly improved team.

After the initial "wow we suck" phase at the start of the season wore off after getting scored on 4-10 times a game, when we lost it was "that one goal" usually early that got away.

Prevent that one goal and we're in the playoffs...or score one more goal and we're in the playoffs.

8 hours ago, smithers joe said:

Depends on a lot of things but according to Capfriendly we are looking at having $8.2m in cap space with 18 players on the active roster.

This means a minimum of 4 players to add to the roster with that $8.2m cap space - 1 x 3C, 1 bottom 6 F, 1 x LD, 1 x RD

Assumptions on above with everything accounted for in Capfriendly:

Resign Pettersson ($7m x 3 years), Hughes ($6m x 3 years), Juolevi ($1m x 2 years)

Buy out Virtanen, Eriksson

Waive Roussel (the buy out does not add significant savings over waiving to minors)

Holtby* and Beagle** on the active roster

Seattle selects Gadjovich or Lind (i.e. no significant cap saving for Canucks)

Between $600-700k in carry over bonuses must be paid for last season

Note we will owe a maximum of $1.9m performance bonuses this season, so may want to use some of the $8.2m to avoid carry over into next season

2021-22 roster with gaps shown:

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Hoglander

XXXX  XXXX  Podkolzin

Highmore Beagle Motte

(MacEwen)

XXXX  Schmidt

Hughes XXXX

Juolevi Myers

(Rathbone)

Demko (Holtby)

* If JB buys out Holtby then we save $3.8m in cap in 2021-22, but costs $1.9m in cap in 2022-23. And we would have to find a decent backup.

** If Beagle is on LTIR then we have an extra $3m in cap space and need to sign a 4C

If both of these two scenarios occur then we will have $15m in cap space with a minimum of 6 players to add to the roster - 1 x 3C, 1 bottom 6 F, 1 x 4C, 1 x LD, 1 x RD, 1 backup G