The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Looking at 3 former Blue jackets to target in the offseason

7 hours ago, Dats hockey said:

Top pairing D on their third contract get somewhere between 7-11m

if you look at a list of contracts he’s honestly right where you’d expect him to be

There were only 30 active Ds that had a cap hit of 6M or more with 17 that fall in the 7-11M range this season per CapFriendly.  

Edited by mll

3 hours ago, mll said:

There were only 30 active Ds that had a cap hit of 6M or more with 17 that fall in the 7-11M range this season per CapFriendly.  

My point was the only top d you see at 6m really is second contract D which is around the normal area for them. Poor Klingberg he needs to fire his agent

Savard is precisely who GMJB shpuld be checking in on if the term and dolalrs work out.

I think he would make a great partner for Hughes or the Bone of Wrath.

Saad is not so much a go to for me and if the Canucks are looking at 3C then a trade or reassignment of a top 6 guy may be more feasible than a UFA

Edited by GarthButcher5

1 hour ago, GarthButcher5 said:

Savard is precisely who GMJB shpuld be checking in on if the term and dolalrs work out.

I think he would make a great partner for Hughes or the Bone of Wrath.

Saad is not so much a go to for me and if the Canucks are looking at 3C then a trade or reassignment of a top 6 guy may be more feasible than a UFA

Makes me nervous about savard.

brisbouis gave up a 1st and 3rd for him at the deadline and during the press conference about it he was adamant about how important it was to have this guy for the playoffs. 

once playoffs started he was a healthy scratch at least 3 times. Why? What is the coach seeing to not play him and when he does its only 10 minutes or so. Did the coach notice things at practice he didnt like?

On 6/11/2021 at 7:26 PM, BigTramFan said:

Depends on a lot of things but according to Capfriendly we are looking at having $8.2m in cap space with 18 players on the active roster.

This means a minimum of 4 players to add to the roster with that $8.2m cap space - 1 x 3C, 1 bottom 6 F, 1 x LD, 1 x RD

Assumptions on above with everything accounted for in Capfriendly:

Resign Pettersson ($7m x 3 years), Hughes ($6m x 3 years), Juolevi ($1m x 2 years)

Buy out Virtanen, Eriksson

Waive Roussel (the buy out does not add significant savings over waiving to minors)

Holtby* and Beagle** on the active roster

Seattle selects Gadjovich or Lind (i.e. no significant cap saving for Canucks)

Between $600-700k in carry over bonuses must be paid for last season

Note we will owe a maximum of $1.9m performance bonuses this season, so may want to use some of the $8.2m to avoid carry over into next season

2021-22 roster with gaps shown:

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Hoglander

XXXX  XXXX  Podkolzin

Highmore Beagle Motte

(MacEwen)

XXXX  Schmidt

Hughes XXXX

Juolevi Myers

(Rathbone)

Demko (Holtby)

* If JB buys out Holtby then we save $3.8m in cap in 2021-22, but costs $1.9m in cap in 2022-23. And we would have to find a decent backup.

** If Beagle is on LTIR then we have an extra $3m in cap space and need to sign a 4C

If both of these two scenarios occur then we will have $15m in cap space with a minimum of 6 players to add to the roster - 1 x 3C, 1 bottom 6 F, 1 x 4C, 1 x LD, 1 x RD, 1 backup G

beagle will be on ltir, I doubt we move on from Holtby, so thats 11.2m for 2 bottom 6Fs and 2 d men.

Hamonic= 1.1mill

= 10.2 mill 

- take a run at ?

Bottom 6W:Barclay good ow, Coleman, Copp, Foegle

Bottom 6C: Wennberg, Granlund, Cizikas, Dannault, Janmark

3 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

Out of all three choices, I like Wennberg the most.

1) Savard likely won’t age well given his age and physically demanding style of play.

2) I don’t think we have the cap space to afford Saad.  

Although I should preface this by saying that I’m not sure if Wennberg will want to leave Florida.   After being miserable in Columbus under Torts, Wennberg seems to have rediscovered his confidence in Florida and im

not sure if he’ll want to risk going to another “incompatible” fit.  

If the Canucks are looking for a new 3rd line center, their best bet might be Mikael Granlund.

6 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Although I should preface this by saying that I’m not sure if Wennberg will want to leave Florida.   After being miserable in Columbus under Torts, Wennberg seems to have rediscovered his confidence in Florida and im

not sure if he’ll want to risk going to another “incompatible” fit.  

If the Canucks are looking for a new 3rd line center, their best bet might be Mikael Granlund.

Or kerfoot. Be cheap to get from toronto and probably would cost a million less per than granlund

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

beagle will be on ltir, I doubt we move on from Holtby, so thats 11.2m for 2 bottom 6Fs and 2 d men.

Hamonic= 1.1mill

= 10.2 mill 

- take a run at ?

Danault would have been amazing but I don’t think we’d be able to afford him.  

32 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Or kerfoot. Be cheap to get from toronto and probably would cost a million less per than granlund

Kerfoot would definitely be an excellent shut down option.  However, one reason why I’d be willing to fork over an extra million for Granlund is because Podkolzin will be coming here next year, and it would be better for Podkolzin’s development if he played with a center with stronger offensive skills just in case Podz isn’t quite ready for the top 6.   Even in the event that he is, and you want to move Pearson or Hoglander to the 3rd line, it would be ideal for any one of those players to play with a center with stronger offensive skills.

The other thing that I like about Granlund and Wennberg, is that either of those guys couls

move up to play in the 2nd line C role in case of injuries (or in MG’s case, in any top 6 position) whereas I’m not sure if we can say that about Kerfoot.

5 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Kerfoot would definitely be an excellent shut down option.  However, one reason why I’d be willing to fork over an extra million for Granlund is because Podkolzin will be coming here next year, and it would be better for Podkolzin’s development if he played with a center with stronger offensive skills just in case Podz isn’t quite ready for the top 6.   Even in the event that he is, and you want to move Pearson or Hoglander to the 3rd line, it would be ideal for any one of those players to play with a center with stronger offensive skills.

The other thing that I like about Granlund and Wennberg, is that either of those guys couls

move up to play in the 2nd line C role in case of injuries (or in MG’s case, in any top 6 position) whereas I’m not sure if we can say that about Kerfoot.

I disagree kerfoot is putting up the same kinda numbers as granlund more or less yet a really fast skater an a great penalty killer. I personally think he would be a great fit with podz. Hes also 26 while granlund is 29. Out of everyone in the habs/leafs series i noticed him a lot and thought to myself that he was torontos second best player in that series. Benning tried hard to get him before he signed in colorado so he might be looking at him again. Pretty sure toronto wants something for him and know they need his money to sign some of their FAs and cant take salary back. Wouldn’t surprise me if it only takes a 3rd to get him out of toronto. Hes also from Vancouver which is pretty cool.

9FCAD8CF-889C-43B4-9173-F3CC7BAB6058.jpeg

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Danault would have been amazing but I don’t think we’d be able to afford him.  

agree, rumour is he is asking  north of 5 mill... I find Granlund interesting given he is such a good 2 way player, Coleman is also going to want big money, I find barclay and copp interesting

copp will cost 2.75 mill minimum and Granlund may be up near 4 mill

4 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

Hamonic= 1.1mill

= 10.2 mill 

- take a run at ?

10.2 mill

- 4.25 mill for granlund

-2.85 for copp

= 7.1 mill

= 3.1 left to spend on a d man

Miller Petey Boeser

Copp Horvat Hoglander

Pearson Granlund Podz

Highmore Grovac Motte

Hughes Hamilton

Schmidt Myers

Rathbone Hamonic

OJ

use 9OA to get a d man and move salary - 

To VAN

22nd OA, DET 2nd rounder OR Joe Veleno OR William Wallinder (these are all assets that are 1st/2nd round tweeners)

To DET

9OA

Roussel = - 3mill

sign Dougie Hamilton 6.2 mill per year x 5 yrs.

6 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

brisbouis gave up a 1st and 3rd for him at the deadline and during the press conference about it he was adamant about how important it was to have this guy for the playoffs. 

once playoffs started he was a healthy scratch at least 3 times. Why? What is the coach seeing to not play him and when he does its only 10 minutes or so. Did the coach notice things at practice he didnt like?

Fair enough, I missed this important detail

11 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

Hamonic= 1.1mill

= 10.2 mill 

- take a run at ?

Of those 5 options for bottom 6 C, Wennberg wins the comparison from this season's stats, especially his even strength #'s. As previously mentioned, Danault would not be affordable, Cizikas and Wennberg appear likely to resign with NYI and FLA.

3C comparison A.JPG

3C comparison B.JPG

Edited by BigTramFan

7 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

agree, rumour is he is asking  north of 5 mill... I find Granlund interesting given he is such a good 2 way player, Coleman is also going to want big money, I find barclay and copp interesting

copp will cost 2.75 mill minimum and Granlund may be up near 4 mill

Copp is RFA and we would have to give us serious assets to WPG to acquire his rights

7 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

10.2 mill

- 4.25 mill for granlund

-2.85 for copp

= 7.1 mill

= 3.1 left to spend on a d man

Miller Petey Boeser

Copp Horvat Hoglander

Pearson Granlund Podz

Highmore Grovac Motte

Hughes Hamilton

Schmidt Myers

Rathbone Hamonic

OJ

use 9OA to get a d man and move salary - 

To VAN

22nd OA, DET 2nd rounder OR Joe Veleno OR William Wallinder (these are all assets that are 1st/2nd round tweeners)

To DET

9OA

Roussel = - 3mill

sign Dougie Hamilton 6.2 mill per year x 5 yrs.

I like the approach but I think there are a few problems with this roster. As mentioned Copp is RFA. And also the cap won't work because:

1. You need 3 forwards, not 2, since Beagle is on LTIR

2. You won't get Hamilton for 6.2m.

3. Pretty sure you won't get Hamonic for 1.1m.

Salary for Granlund is about right, maybe a flat $4m could get him, but I don't think he is gonna sign to be a 3C, he is a top 6 guy. Would be great on Horvat's RW imo.

Let's say Beagle is on LTIR and we have 11.2 mill cap space. We need two Dmen and 3 forwards with that 11.2m.

Something like this could work:

1. Granlund, 4m x 4 - versatile top 6 guy, can play all positions. Like this choice.

2. Bonino, 1.5m x 2 - stop gap guy, very underrated, 26 pts in 55 games this season with 63% Dzone starts. Much better than Sutter.

3. Sam Carrick, 900k x 2 - good 4C

4. Hamonic, 2m x 1 - pair with Hughes next season but look to sign big fish in Seth Jones in 2022

5. Oleksiak, 2.8m x 3 - pair with Schmidt, big tough defender, can play 22+ mins/night, excellent PK

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Hoglander Horvat Granlund

Pearson Bonino Podkolzin

Highmore Carrick Motte

(MacEwen)

Oleksiak Schmidt

Hughes Hamonic

Juolevi Myers

(Rathbone)

Demko (Holtby)

Essentially we replace Sutter and Beagle (7.3m total cap) with much more cost effective 3C and 4C pair of Bonino and Carrick (2.7m total). Here is the comparison of their last season stats:

Replacement C comparisons.JPG