The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will the Canucks ever be able to win the cup without a top three pick?

Rate this topic

RU SERIOUS

Well in the words of AP:

"It's a winning culture," Pietrangelo said of playing in Vegas. "It started in Year 1, and there have been different players added, but the culture stays the same. It starts with ownership and trickles down."

we need this more than a top 3 pick

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Well in the words of AP:

"It's a winning culture," Pietrangelo said of playing in Vegas. "It started in Year 1, and there have been different players added, but the culture stays the same. It starts with ownership and trickles down."

we need this more than a top 3 pick

it's what benning has spent 7 years trying to accomplish. much easier said than done. 

3 minutes ago, tas said:

it's what benning has spent 7 years trying to accomplish. much easier said than done. 

I think you miss understood be and misunderstood the quote.

it starts from ownership down. Not JB down.

and I never said it was easy, just like getting a lottery pick isn’t easy. 

But it’s most important and hope we will get there.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

What??????

where's the fire Benning, Fire Green gang? that's their answer to everything.

Of course if Aqua-Lini dumps Green or Uncle Jim, that would technically qualify as a Pseudo top three pick.    Thanks for pointing out the obvious solution to all our problems!

4 hours ago, khay said:

Yes.

2008 Detroit: Brad Stuart?

Even 2011 Boston: Seguin was a rookie 4th liner and Horton barely played.

1994 Rangers: Ed Olczyk?

Don't think it matters. What matters is having talented players no matter where they are drafted.

I would like to agree with you but 43 times out of 45 - it unfortunately did matter.  I can't argue much against FACT !

12 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Stumbled across this interesting story from SportsNet ( https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/can-win-stanley-cup-without-top-3-draft-pick/ )  written just a few years ago "Can you win a Stanley Cup without a Top 3 draft pick?"   which stated  that if you "Go back 45 years, only two teams have won the Stanley Cup without a top-three draft pick on their roster."

Based on this FACT, and given that the Canucks have no 1st thru 3rd first round picks on the team even though we have  a few good players and potentially a few others coming up,   would you assume that we should patiently wait and hope that all those up & comers are able to lead us to the promised land  - OR - do you believe in that theory above and suggest that we sacrifice one or more of our top assets and try and snag a top 1st-3rd player (if available) ?

If you look at our drafting history for the last few years, you could easily argue the following:

Pettersson should have been the #1 pick in his draft year.

Hughes would be a top 3 in a redraft

Podkolzin is a top 3 guy in his draft class, if he wasn't committed to the KHL for another 2 seasons.

Boeser is likely a top 3 guy in most draft classes, in his, he's probably pretty close to a top 5.

Benning isn't perfect, but he's one of the best drafters out of all the GM's in the NHL.

5 hours ago, Convincing John said:

I’m not convinced QH or EP are elite NHL players who can carry a team to the cup. I still believe we need our crown jewel. This doesn’t need to come from a top 3 pick but it would definitely increase those chances. I don’t think that player is even in this years draft. The only dark horse in our core that has the potential to be our Savour is Demko. 

I believe you're correct. Both EP and QH have flaws which can be exploited. Demko needs to mature into a true # but I think he has what it takes

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Toni Zamboni said:

oldnews >>>> alflives

Those aren’t “greater than” symbols, I’m assuming, but a set of arrows signifying some evolutionary process?

I’m not taking sides or picking favourites, lol, I just get the giggles imagining oldnews evolving into alflives and his final form being a little, furry, cat-eating alien. :lol:

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Heretic said:

The Sedins say hi!

sedins_wave.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

As do Jovo and Gudransson 

this is really atroucious reporting imo and has no statistical bearing whatsoever

• Cheers 1

Nucks need a legit #1 Ekblad, Petro, Hedman type on the backend, with 3 other bigger dmen that can play with intensity, a legit first line right winger and a 3C.  Then we can start talking about maybe contending for something.  

Edited by EddieVedder

It’s not some magical force that will keep them from winning but it’s certainly a factor as to why some teams excel while others, like us, don’t. 

My only hope is that we found some legitimate steals with Petey and Hughes who are right there in the top 3 of their draft classes… and Podkolzin was ranked up there too.

I believe we have top 3 talent without the draft luck.

edit: to further discuss, I think a lot of ballyhooed “rebuilds” and just plain old “builds” have the benefit of Mackinnon, Matthews, Hedman etc etc… I do think as management continues to build around Petey, Hughes, Bo, Miller, Brock and Demko we’ll start to align a lot more with the top than the bottom of the league. 

Edited by ilduce39

6 hours ago, Vancan2021 said:

2021 NY Islanders say hi. They are a huge threat to win the cup.

You do not need a stacked team to succeed.

Most times less is more.

You need average to a bit above average players, believing and buying into there system. Every player willing to go to war for each other. 

Can we sign Barry Trotz in a few years please!!!

They are a good story and I get your point. But TBH, they are no threat at all to win the cup IMO. No way they get past TB. And if they do, they need to go through VGK. No way that is happening.