The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will the Canucks ever be able to win the cup without a top three pick?

Rate this topic

RU SERIOUS

13 hours ago, R3aL said:

In my dreams?

who right now is better in that draft?

Svechnikov and Tkachuk are the best forwards taken.

kotkaniemi, Hayton, Zadina I would not take over Hughes.

Dahlin is struggling and degressing in toxic Buffalo so today I would not trade Hughes 1

for 1 with him even though in draft day I take Dahlin at 1 with no hesitation. 

Ty Smith is the only other dman id even consider and yes he’s looking good and more well rounded than Quinn but I wouldn’t trade a Quinn for him.

So Q is top 3 for me and probably at least top 5 in majority of people’s re drafts. Not sure how that would be in my dreams like it’s a huge stretch.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.si.com/hockey/.amp/news/redoing-the-2018-nhl-draft-how-would-it-unfold-two-years-later

Hes easily top 3 from the 2018. What a twit that guy thinking quinn isnt lmao

• Huggy Bear 1

On 6/11/2021 at 5:51 PM, RU SERIOUS said:

I would like to agree with you but 43 times out of 45 - it unfortunately did matter.  I can't argue much against FACT !

Lol.   It's just like doing some simple math and those are the actual odds.   Odds are one team in the NHL, at any given time past the 70's, is going to have more then one 1-3 draft pick one it then zero.   Doesn't mean they all do, but that's also a useless fact.  Given Lafleur was on six alone in the 70's this is a pointless fact, and that these guys usually play a decade of hockey (and if they don't are considered a bust, 700 games).   Then there was Potvin... How many top three picks actually played in the league at any given time past the 70's?   A lot more then one per team on average, at least until the league expanded past 21 teams... that's a fact too.   Sure some are busts.  Others like Thornton, are still playing.   For every Stepan, Yakupov, Patrick, there are guys like Jovo, Chris Phillips, Linden etc who end up playing 1100-1400 games.   Now with 32 teams ... well wonder how many top three picks are playing right now?  

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 1

On 6/12/2021 at 5:47 AM, Patel Bure said:

I think the Canucks can do this.  

-Pettersson and Hughes are basically the equivalent of top 3 picks.

-Horvat is the equivalent of a 5th overall

-Demko *might* be considered a 7-10 pick in a few years after he continues to flash his brilliance (as I suspect that he will)

-Boeser enters the top 10

-Hoglander enters the 1st round as well.  

I like this discussion

Pettersson I agree, I think if we did a redraft I would rank him as #2 only behind Cale Makar 

Hughes - I say Top 5 though that could change as time goes by. Dahlin and Scechnikov are still the top 2 for me since I see Dahlin as possible Victor Hedman and Scechnikov could a player that Laine was supposed to be ( between an Ovi and Rick Nash). And Brady Tkachuk looks like the read deal while I expect some later rounder to emerge eventually. 

Horvat - I agree. It is quite strange how I thought some years ago Monahan was the best player of that draft class. Though that could change whether how much better Nurse improves since I have Horvat currently #5 behind MacKinnon, Barkov, Jones and Guentzel

Demko - Hard to say since Goalies seem to fluctuate

Boeser - I agree. I see him probably fighting for the 8th spot with Kyle Connor. I would put McDavid, Eichel, Rantanen, Marner, Barzal, Aho, and Chabot all ahead.

Hoeglander - I will wait and see next season

Edited by iinatcc
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, iinatcc said:

I like this discussion

Pettersson I agree, I think if we did a redraft I would rank him as #2 only behind Cale Makar 

Hughes - I say Top 5 though that could change as time goes by. Dahlin and Scechnikov are still the top 2 for me since I see Dahlin as possible Victor Hedman and Scechnikov could a player that Laine was supposed to be ( between an Ovi and Rick Nash). And Brady Tkachuk looks like the read deal while I expect some later rounder to emerge eventually. 

Demko - Hard to say since Goalies seem to fluctuate

Boeser - I agree. I see him probably fighting for the 8th spot with Kyle Connor. I would put McDavid, Eichel, Rantanen, Marner, Barzal, Aho, and Chabot all ahead.

Hoeglander - I will wait and see next season

Time will tell obviously but a lot of people also believe that Podkolzin would have been a top 5 pick in 2019 had it not been for the fact that he’d express a desire to play in Russia for two seasons before coming here.

Just now, Patel Bure said:

Time will tell obviously but a lot of people also believe that Podkolzin would have been a top 5 pick in 2019 had it not been for the fact that he’d express a desire to play in Russia for two seasons before coming here.

I think Podkolzin might be more of a wild card than a sure thing as people here are already predicting. His KHL numbers still worry me a bit

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, IBatch said:

Lol.   It's just like doing some simple math and those are the actual odds.   Odds are one team in the NHL, at any given time past the 70's, is going to have more then one 1-3 draft pick one it then zero.   Doesn't mean they all do, but that's also a useless fact.  Given Lafleur was on six alone in the 70's this is a pointless fact, and that these guys usually play a decade of hockey (and if they don't are considered a bust, 700 games).   Then there was Potvin... How many top three picks actually played in the league at any given time past the 70's?   A lot more then one per team on average, at least until the league expanded past 21 teams... that's a fact too.   Sure some are busts.  Others like Thornton, are still playing.   For every Stepan, Yakupov, Patrick, there are guys like Jovo, Chris Phillips, Linden etc who end up playing 1100-1400 games.   Now with 32 teams ... well wonder how many top three picks are playing right now?  

I won't disagree with your thoughts but 43 times out of 45 times it did matter.  Unfortunately, these are "The Facts".   So for the Canucks, the question becomes: Can they win the cup being in that 5% category ?????

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

I won't disagree with your thoughts but 43 times out of 45 times it did matter.  Unfortunately, these are "The Facts".   So for the Canucks, the question becomes: Can they win the cup being in that 5% category ?????

Hope so. 

• Cheers 1