The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Lukas Jasek signs with Lahti Pelicans (Finland)

22 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Hope it works out for him, maybe he gets a bigger role on this team. @mll he was an RFA so I'm assuming that means we still have his rights? 

As long as the Canucks extend him a qualifying offer then they retain his rights till he turns 27

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 2

16 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

That's a bummer... I was really hoping for him to fight for that vacancy in our bottom 6 C position. I hope he does well over in Finland.

At the very least I was expecting him to be a top 6 player in Abbotsford and an emergency call-up option. Sorry to see him go but maybe he will continue to develop in Finland and give the NHL another shot in a few years.

37 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Hope it works out for him, maybe he gets a bigger role on this team. @mll he was an RFA so I'm assuming that means we still have his rights? 

Still have to qualify him to retain his rights.

Reading around it sounds like the intention for the Lahti Pelicans is to use him as their number one center.

I had a feeling this was likely going to happen, when everyone was called up and Jasek was not, must've left him feeling sorta out of the mix, considering he was Utica's best forward last season. Too bad, really thought he embodied what this team needed in the bottom six. Good thing the deal is a 1 year deal.

However, Abbotsford lacks a lot of center depth all of sudden and also reflects the lack of depth in the organization as a whole. 

• Cheers 4

I don’t understand why Jašek isn’t going to be with Abbotsford? Did his relationship with the organization sour or something that he feels like he needs to go back to Europe for further development? 

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Still have to qualify him to retain his rights.

Reading around it sounds like the intention for the Lahti Pelicans is to use him as their number one center.

I had a feeling this was likely going to happen, when everyone was called up and Jasek was not, must've left him feeling sorta out of the mix, considering he was Utica's best forward last season. Too bad, really thought he embodied what this team needed in the bottom six. Good thing the deal is a 1 year deal.

However, Abbotsford lacks a lot of center depth all of sudden and also reflects the lack of depth in the organization as a whole. 

Yeah, maybe he just wants to go back to Europe for a little bit, considering he spent the entire time in the AHL/North America last year. He's only 23.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I assume the Canucks will qualify Jasek just to keep there options open. Doesn't hurt to qualify him. But this organization hasn't been that nice to players who decide to go to Europe (look at Tryamkin, Palmu). Could see them letting Jasek walk.

I've gotta assume that Jasek wasn't happy about not getting a chance to be on the Taxi Squad at any point of last season. He deserved a game or two in the NHL this season... especially after the Covid outbreak.

As for AHL Abbotsford depth, I assume the Canucks will re-sign Tyler Gravoac and get Marc Michaelis under contract and those two will be the 1C and 2C for Abbotsford next season.

• Cheers 2

33 minutes ago, Quantum said:

I assume the Canucks will qualify Jasek just to keep there options open. Doesn't hurt to qualify him. But this organization hasn't been that nice to players who decide to go to Europe (look at Tryamkin, Palmu). Could see them letting Jasek walk.

I've gotta assume that Jasek wasn't happy about not getting a chance to be on the Taxi Squad at any point of last season. He deserved a game or two in the NHL this season... especially after the Covid outbreak.

As for AHL Abbotsford depth, I assume the Canucks will re-sign Tyler Gravoac and get Marc Michaelis under contract and those two will be the 1C and 2C for Abbotsford next season.

I think we shouldn't read too much into it. The deal is only one year, and the club said he'll be playing as a center in a professional men's league, while close to home after spending the entire time in NA. I think Jasek will see the NHL sooner rather than later.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1