Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Lukas Jasek signs with Lahti Pelicans (Finland)


Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

It's times like these where I wish that even if there weren't a downvote option, we'd at least have a facepalm reaction option, instead of having to quote the post to do this - :picard:

 

The guy thinks that the inconsistent cream puff known as Virtanen is deserving of another chance with the team when it's clear that Virtanen will never use his size or his abilities appropriately or consistently and has already used up 10 of his 9 hockey lives.  I wouldn't take the poster's words seriously.

I wouldn't actually do Miller for Reinhart.    I would rather just use Miller as a LW'er as that is his more natural and preferred position.  Yes - he can play center if we need him to play there, but moving him to the center to create a Petey-Bo-Miller 1-2-3 at center would just rob us of our depth at wing.   However - if we're going to play a guy out of position for no good reason, then we may as well bring in a guy who specializes in that position.   

 

As far as Virtanen goes, the guy had 18 goals and 18 assists in 69 games, and this was with almost zero PP time + 3rd line minutes...........and then we were introduced to covid.   For all of Jake's warts, that's very good 3rd line production.   And then he mysteriously fell off a cliff, and I'm willing to bet that this "mystery" is related to the "restrictive" covid lifestyle having an effect on his mental health?   Am I right?  Maybe....maybe not, but the point being that Jake's play prior to the 2020 covid outbreak warrants him getting one last look in a post-covid world (assuming that he's innocent of all charges and gets another shot).   And worst case scenario?   If he still plays like a chump, then we walk away from him at season's end when he becomes a UFA.   

 

Or does "genius" 6of1_halfdozen have better suggestions?  

 

 

 

 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sure, I'll humour you this once.

 

First off, that cream puff had more 3+ game pointless streaks than he had 3 game point streaks in that season, and he's only ever had one 4+ game point streak in his career.  To me, that's the definition of inconsistent.

 

Second, his biggest asset is his size, but he plays like he's a cream-filled smurf, and rarely gets into the rough parts of the ice.  Maybe he thinks he's a finesse player, but as the creative players on the team would demonstrate, he's far from it.

 

On top of that, his demonstrated lack of professionalism these last few years (and especially during the pandemic when he went out and partied just before entering the bubble, creating the potential for an outbreak situation to happen even before our "post-season play-in" could begin) is very disappointing when his teammates and colleagues are more than pulling their own weight on the professionalism front.

 

GMJB was overly generous with extending him, and moreover for two years.  In his shoes, I would've traded his RFA rights in the offseason for a bag of pucks or used hockey tape and put Gaudette on notice that he'd be next if he didn't pick up his play.

 

As for the Miller/Reinhart thing, Linden transitioned from winger to centreman during his career.  I don't see why it would be such a detriment to have a known quantity and confirmed consistent performer (Miller) taking up that role - regardless of whether it's as a placeholder until they can find an acceptable permanent 3C, or as a permanent move going forward.  He's proven he's flexible that way, and his flexibility gives the team flexibility.  If they choose to bring in a relative unknown in Reinhart as an FA in the off-season to fill the role of 3C, great - but trading Miller for Reinhart just to fill the role of 3C (or even 2C) is plain silly, given his FA status in July.

 

Anyways, that's all I have to say here about these.  This is a thread on Jasek, so I won't derail it any further.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Jasek has never had the talent to make the NHL.  Last year as a 23 year old he was not good enough to get a single game with the Canucks who as the 9th worst team in the NHL gave multiple players a shot over him.  He has consistently been ranked at about our 15th best prospect. Which is really low.

 

He just isn't good enough  to make it in the NHL. Period. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • RoughGame 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

If Miller can be pencilled in as a center, it means we only need two top 9 wingers which are easier to acquire.
 

That would also mean we dont have to go out and get a third line center, which we’d either have to overpay or give up valuable assets we’ll need to acquire a top 4 D man.

 

Miller at center just makes us deeper.

Apparently that was the discussion at the exit interviews.  It just opens up more possibilities rather than a certainty it happens.

 

Wingers are more available than centres so there is sense to it.  Also having a deeper lineup would help us win games rather than the opposing top D knowing exactly which players to focus on

 

  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Either scenario is hearsay nobody will know which is true unless somebody comes out and publicly says something. Irregardless of what or if anything was said Jasek seemed more deserving to be given a look. For Canucks sake it could have also been nice to see if you’d really need to pursue him later and bring him back for another shot at the NHL. I’m not trying to throw shade at Lockwood because he did a lot of stuff away from the puck as well that you love to see. Lockwood was in his first AHL season he could have made his debut next season and we’d have seen both guys. I think it’s more just political stuff where Benning would rather see his 3rd round pick over a late round guy whom may have been just slightly more deserving of the look.

Possibly, but isn't this just more speculation and opinion?  :P

 

Anyhoo, Croatia/England calls. Have a great morning!

 

                                    regards,  G.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

I wouldn't actually do Miller for Reinhart.    I would rather just use Miller as a LW'er as that is his more natural and preferred position.  Yes - he can play center if we need him to play there, but moving him to the center to create a Petey-Bo-Miller 1-2-3 at center would just rob us of our depth at wing.   However - if we're going to play a guy out of position for no good reason, then we may as well bring in a guy who specializes in that position.   

 

As far as Virtanen goes, the guy had 18 goals and 18 assists in 69 games, and this was with almost zero PP time + 3rd line minutes...........and then we were introduced to covid.   For all of Jake's warts, that's very good 3rd line production.   And then he mysteriously fell off a cliff, and I'm willing to bet that this "mystery" is related to the "restrictive" covid lifestyle having an effect on his mental health?   Am I right?  Maybe....maybe not, but the point being that Jake's play prior to the 2020 covid outbreak warrants him getting one last look in a post-covid world (assuming that he's innocent of all charges and gets another shot).   And worst case scenario?   If he still plays like a chump, then we walk away from him at season's end when he becomes a UFA.   

 

Or does "genius" 6of1_halfdozen have better suggestions?  

 

 

 

 

I have patiently waited for Jake to evolve into that reliable 3rd liner. As you pointed out he has produced some points with limited opportunity. IMO Green actually continued to play him when his play was in question. You argument about one more try ex-Covid has possible merit depending on the outcome of his off ice problem. 

 

Only JB knows what interest there might be by other teams in Jake. Canucks can put a decent enough folder together on Jake's potential. It is the same potential that has kept management playing him for years. Can that folder entice a trade? Hockey people know that a change in scenery can work wonders for a player. Sam Bennett goes from 38 games in Calgary at 12 points and -14 to Florida and winds the season up at 10 games 15 points and +12. Bennett was a #3 pick and Jake #6.

 

Does keeping Jake into the fall reduce the value in a possible trade? Not sure. JB has a tough decision. I think he moves him for whatever return he can get. 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

As far as Virtanen goes, the guy had 18 goals and 18 assists in 69 games, and this was with almost zero PP time + 3rd line minutes...........and then we were introduced to covid.   For all of Jake's warts, that's very good 3rd line production.   And then he mysteriously fell off a cliff, and I'm willing to bet that this "mystery" is related to the "restrictive" covid lifestyle having an effect on his mental health?   Am I right?  Maybe....maybe not, but the point being that Jake's play prior to the 2020 covid outbreak warrants him getting one last look in a post-covid world (assuming that he's innocent of all charges and gets another shot).   And worst case scenario?   If he still plays like a chump, then we walk away from him at season's end when he becomes a UFA.  

Could be…COVID really screwed with opportunities to sexually assault women. Might have been a real downer. :mellow:

 


 

…Jokes aside, if the allegations against Virtanen don’t have much weight (beyond “he said, she said”), I wonder if Seattle takes a shot at him. The rest of their options aren’t pretty, especially if the organization stands pat and protects Juolevi. If he had a good season like pre-COVID, he could be a decent trade chip at the deadline.

  • Hydration 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I have patiently waited for Jake to evolve into that reliable 3rd liner. As you pointed out he has produced some points with limited opportunity. IMO Green actually continued to play him when his play was in question. You argument about one more try ex-Covid has possible merit depending on the outcome of his off ice problem. 

 

Only JB knows what interest there might be by other teams in Jake. Canucks can put a decent enough folder together on Jake's potential. It is the same potential that has kept management playing him for years. Can that folder entice a trade? Hockey people know that a change in scenery can work wonders for a player. Sam Bennett goes from 38 games in Calgary at 12 points and -14 to Florida and winds the season up at 10 games 15 points and +12. Bennett was a #3 pick and Jake #6.

 

Does keeping Jake into the fall reduce the value in a possible trade? Not sure. JB has a tough decision. I think he moves him for whatever return he can get. 

I think Jake’s value is almost zero as is anyways right now and so trading him may might even require a sweetener.  That’s why it would probably just be better to hang onto him and see if he can increase his value.  However, if the situation between hom

and the team has become too toxic, then yes, just buy him out and do the player justice.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mostly this sucks for Abbotsford's return. A lot of productive forwards likely gone this year from last. Baer, Jasek, Anas, one or both of Lind & Gad, Stevens, McKenzie.

 

Plasek in, and Focht likely to take on a bigger role but still. Hopefully they get a decent vet in the top-6.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2021 at 7:51 PM, Patel Bure said:

Might as well trade Miller for Sam Reinhart if we don’t intend to use him as a winger.

If Miller is at C, then Petey is on the wing

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, stawns said:

If Miller is at C, then Petey is on the wing

I’m not saying that it wouldn’t work, but why play both players out of their natural position?    

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

I’m not saying that it wouldn’t work, but why play both players out of their natural position?    

Because Petey isn't a good enough can yet to be a top 6 cman.  He's far more effective on the wing at this point.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...