The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Lukas Jasek signs with Lahti Pelicans (Finland)

Jasek has never had the talent to make the NHL.  Last year as a 23 year old he was not good enough to get a single game with the Canucks who as the 9th worst team in the NHL gave multiple players a shot over him.  He has consistently been ranked at about our 15th best prospect. Which is really low.

He just isn't good enough  to make it in the NHL. Period. 

• RoughGame 1

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

If Miller can be pencilled in as a center, it means we only need two top 9 wingers which are easier to acquire.

That would also mean we dont have to go out and get a third line center, which we’d either have to overpay or give up valuable assets we’ll need to acquire a top 4 D man.

Miller at center just makes us deeper.

Apparently that was the discussion at the exit interviews.  It just opens up more possibilities rather than a certainty it happens.

Wingers are more available than centres so there is sense to it.  Also having a deeper lineup would help us win games rather than the opposing top D knowing exactly which players to focus on

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

16 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Either scenario is hearsay nobody will know which is true unless somebody comes out and publicly says something. Irregardless of what or if anything was said Jasek seemed more deserving to be given a look. For Canucks sake it could have also been nice to see if you’d really need to pursue him later and bring him back for another shot at the NHL. I’m not trying to throw shade at Lockwood because he did a lot of stuff away from the puck as well that you love to see. Lockwood was in his first AHL season he could have made his debut next season and we’d have seen both guys. I think it’s more just political stuff where Benning would rather see his 3rd round pick over a late round guy whom may have been just slightly more deserving of the look.

Possibly, but isn't this just more speculation and opinion?  :P

Anyhoo, Croatia/England calls. Have a great morning!

regards,  G.

10 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

I wouldn't actually do Miller for Reinhart.    I would rather just use Miller as a LW'er as that is his more natural and preferred position.  Yes - he can play center if we need him to play there, but moving him to the center to create a Petey-Bo-Miller 1-2-3 at center would just rob us of our depth at wing.   However - if we're going to play a guy out of position for no good reason, then we may as well bring in a guy who specializes in that position.   

As far as Virtanen goes, the guy had 18 goals and 18 assists in 69 games, and this was with almost zero PP time + 3rd line minutes...........and then we were introduced to covid.   For all of Jake's warts, that's very good 3rd line production.   And then he mysteriously fell off a cliff, and I'm willing to bet that this "mystery" is related to the "restrictive" covid lifestyle having an effect on his mental health?   Am I right?  Maybe....maybe not, but the point being that Jake's play prior to the 2020 covid outbreak warrants him getting one last look in a post-covid world (assuming that he's innocent of all charges and gets another shot).   And worst case scenario?   If he still plays like a chump, then we walk away from him at season's end when he becomes a UFA.   

Or does "genius" 6of1_halfdozen have better suggestions?  

I have patiently waited for Jake to evolve into that reliable 3rd liner. As you pointed out he has produced some points with limited opportunity. IMO Green actually continued to play him when his play was in question. You argument about one more try ex-Covid has possible merit depending on the outcome of his off ice problem. 

Only JB knows what interest there might be by other teams in Jake. Canucks can put a decent enough folder together on Jake's potential. It is the same potential that has kept management playing him for years. Can that folder entice a trade? Hockey people know that a change in scenery can work wonders for a player. Sam Bennett goes from 38 games in Calgary at 12 points and -14 to Florida and winds the season up at 10 games 15 points and +12. Bennett was a #3 pick and Jake #6.

Does keeping Jake into the fall reduce the value in a possible trade? Not sure. JB has a tough decision. I think he moves him for whatever return he can get. 

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

As far as Virtanen goes, the guy had 18 goals and 18 assists in 69 games, and this was with almost zero PP time + 3rd line minutes...........and then we were introduced to covid.   For all of Jake's warts, that's very good 3rd line production.   And then he mysteriously fell off a cliff, and I'm willing to bet that this "mystery" is related to the "restrictive" covid lifestyle having an effect on his mental health?   Am I right?  Maybe....maybe not, but the point being that Jake's play prior to the 2020 covid outbreak warrants him getting one last look in a post-covid world (assuming that he's innocent of all charges and gets another shot).   And worst case scenario?   If he still plays like a chump, then we walk away from him at season's end when he becomes a UFA.  

Could be…COVID really screwed with opportunities to sexually assault women. Might have been a real downer. :mellow:

…Jokes aside, if the allegations against Virtanen don’t have much weight (beyond “he said, she said”), I wonder if Seattle takes a shot at him. The rest of their options aren’t pretty, especially if the organization stands pat and protects Juolevi. If he had a good season like pre-COVID, he could be a decent trade chip at the deadline.

• Cheers 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I have patiently waited for Jake to evolve into that reliable 3rd liner. As you pointed out he has produced some points with limited opportunity. IMO Green actually continued to play him when his play was in question. You argument about one more try ex-Covid has possible merit depending on the outcome of his off ice problem. 

Only JB knows what interest there might be by other teams in Jake. Canucks can put a decent enough folder together on Jake's potential. It is the same potential that has kept management playing him for years. Can that folder entice a trade? Hockey people know that a change in scenery can work wonders for a player. Sam Bennett goes from 38 games in Calgary at 12 points and -14 to Florida and winds the season up at 10 games 15 points and +12. Bennett was a #3 pick and Jake #6.

Does keeping Jake into the fall reduce the value in a possible trade? Not sure. JB has a tough decision. I think he moves him for whatever return he can get. 

I think Jake’s value is almost zero as is anyways right now and so trading him may might even require a sweetener.  That’s why it would probably just be better to hang onto him and see if he can increase his value.  However, if the situation between hom

and the team has become too toxic, then yes, just buy him out and do the player justice.  

Mostly this sucks for Abbotsford's return. A lot of productive forwards likely gone this year from last. Baer, Jasek, Anas, one or both of Lind & Gad, Stevens, McKenzie.

Plasek in, and Focht likely to take on a bigger role but still. Hopefully they get a decent vet in the top-6.

3 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

I’m not saying that it wouldn’t work, but why play both players out of their natural position?    

Because Petey isn't a good enough can yet to be a top 6 cman.  He's far more effective on the wing at this point.