The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are the Canucks too much of a Featherweight team to push through the playoffs?

Rate this topic

RU SERIOUS

This is why I'm no longer too high on Johnson. Yes, he possesses a ton of skill, but I'm not sure his game translates to the NHL. I can possibly see frustrated coaches trying to teach him the finer points - back and forth - Abbotsford to Vancouver and back again.

The fact the he's local isn't great either, too many distractions - unless he's like Troy Stecher, which I doubt. 

I'd like to see them take an aggressive C - McTavish, Lucius, or even take a chance on Lambos. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

20 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

This is why I'm no longer too high on Johnson. Yes, he possesses a ton of skill, but I'm not sure his game translates to the NHL. I can possibly see frustrated coaches trying to teach him the finer points - back and forth - Abbotsford to Vancouver and back again.

The fact the he's local isn't great either, too many distractions - unless he's like Troy Stecher, which I doubt. 

I'd like to see them take an aggressive C - McTavish, Lucius, or even take a chance on Lambos. 

By "This", I'm thinking you're referring to Johnson's weight? He's listed at 6'1" and 168 lbs. In contrast, EP was at 6'2" and a puny 161 lbs when he was drafted. Not sure about you, but I'd be pretty pumped with getting an EP-like player a number 9.

Edited by vinny_in_vancouver
  • Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Pettersson is very skilled, but it's taking him a while to gain strength and fill out, and he's still pushed around all the time. It'll take him a little while. Having another young player like this on the team could make them physically easier to play against. Don't want a team full of Marners.  Canucks need a player like Mason McTavish, to do some damage in the playoffs for years to come.

Imagine this future 2nd Line:

Hoglander - McTavish - Podkolzin

As much as I like McTavish, I personally like Hoglander - Petey 2 - Podkolzin better, but I suppose to each his own.

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Johnson is a kid who has all the tools but may need help in learning how to use his toolbox.  Coaches at the NHL will need to work with him on this.   Johnson has the highest potential (relative to others that will be around the #9 spot) but might come with the highest risk.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

By "This", I'm thinking you're referring to Johnson's weight? He's listed at 6'1" and 168 lbs. In contrast, EP was at 6'2" and a puny 161 lbs when he was drafted. Not sure about you, but I'd be pretty pumped with getting an EP-like player a number 9.

Does Johnson have Petey’s compete?  Been some questions about that, no?  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Speaking of size, I'm interested to know why Nikita Zadorov had such a poor year in Chicago this past year.   

Perhaps the restrictive covid lifestyle had a significant impact on him?  (as I suspect was the case with Jake Virtanen).  

But if we're talking about size, and "blowing men into the boards," then Zadorov would definitely be a cost effective target.   

If he can play like the way he's capable of, then he'd be a solid fit alongside Hughes.  

4 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Speaking of size, I'm interested to know why Nikita Zadorov had such a poor year in Chicago this past year.   

Perhaps the restrictive covid lifestyle had a significant impact on him?  (as I suspect was the case with Jake Virtanen).  

But if we're talking about size, and "blowing men into the boards," then Zadorov would definitely be a cost effective target.   

If he can play like the way he's capable of, then he'd be a solid fit alongside Hughes.  

Interesting, maybe CHI should re-sign and trade Zadorov to VAN for Virtanen? 

I was going to suggest this, but then realized Jake is an RFA and will probably be bought out. Should VAN offer sheet Zadorov?

Edited by NUCKER67

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Interesting, maybe CHI should re-sign and trade Zadorov to VAN for Virtanen? 

I was going to suggest this, but then realized Jake is an RFA and will probably be bought out. Should VAN offer sheet Zadorov?

I'd probably avoid an offer sheet.   Not only do they rarely ever work, but it also gives GM's a bad rep around the league apparently.   I believe this is what happened to Gillis when he went after David Backes all those years ago.  The NHL operates like an "old boys club" often times and so there's a bit of politics involved with these things.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Like the old adage says it's not about the size of the dog in the fight, but the fight in the dog.

Guys like Clutterbuck (5'11", 215 lb.) Cizikas (5'11", 195 lb.) Pageau (5'10", 180 lb.) and Greene (5'11", 180 lb.) on NYI aren't the biggest but paired with bigger players they can make an impact as part of a gritty team.  Meanwhile, guys like Roussel (5'11", 199 lb.) and Virtanen (6'1", 226 lb.) don't make as much of an impact due to their laziness and lack of a constant motor that the other guys seem to have, while guys like Horvat (6', 215 lb.), Miller (6'1", 218 lb.) and Myers (6'8", 229 lb.) certainly aren't small and can contribute to an overall tough team identity if they get buy-in from others and, admittedly, add some weight especially at 3rd C, bring back Hamonic and replace Edler.  Wouldn't say that they're too much of a featherweight though, since they gave Vegas all they could handle last year and dethroned the Wild and Blues, both of whom are in the top-10 in heavyweights this year.  

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Does Johnson have Petey’s compete?  Been some questions about that, no?  

Never heard of that - he has produced at every level and helped his team win. In any event, as in every draft, there are questions about every prospect. The point here is: imagine if Jim Benning said, "because EP weighs only 161 lbs as a teenager, I won't consider him at number 5."