The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are the Canucks too much of a Featherweight team to push through the playoffs?

Rate this topic

RU SERIOUS

5 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Like the old adage says it's not about the size of the dog in the fight, but the fight in the dog.

Guys like Clutterbuck (5'11", 215 lb.) Cizikas (5'11", 195 lb.) Pageau (5'10", 180 lb.) and Greene (5'11", 180 lb.) on NYI aren't the biggest but paired with bigger players they can make an impact as part of a gritty team.  Meanwhile, guys like Roussel (5'11", 199 lb.) and Virtanen (6'1", 226 lb.) don't make as much of an impact due to their laziness and lack of a constant motor that the other guys seem to have, while guys like Horvat (6', 215 lb.), Miller (6'1", 218 lb.) and Myers (6'8", 229 lb.) certainly aren't small and can contribute to an overall tough team identity if they get buy-in from others and, admittedly, add some weight especially at 3rd C, bring back Hamonic and replace Edler.  Wouldn't say that they're too much of a featherweight though, since they gave Vegas all they could handle last year and dethroned the Wild and Blues, both of whom are in the top-10 in heavyweights this year.  

Sure that's a solid argument but at some point physics catches up with smaller guys they can only get trucked so many times.

Those guys also get Matt Martin in their corner.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, tas said:

myers was bashing guys to bits left and right in the playoffs last year. 

I thought he was grindy for sure but he didn't bash guys. I could have a bad memory too?

I'd go with Myers and take his hit....I'd $hit my pants with Bo.

I'd be more afraid of Hamonic than Myers too.

Edited by Chris12345
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

This is why I'm no longer too high on Johnson. Yes, he possesses a ton of skill, but I'm not sure his game translates to the NHL. I can possibly see frustrated coaches trying to teach him the finer points - back and forth - Abbotsford to Vancouver and back again.

The fact the he's local isn't great either, too many distractions - unless he's like Troy Stecher, which I doubt. 

I'd like to see them take an aggressive C - McTavish, Lucius, or even take a chance on Lambos. 

Good take but acquiring skill with IQ is very expensive outside of the draft.

I dont think the Canucks are that bad in the size department. Its the fact they dont play that style of game consistently. 

They could use more size and physical play for sure but I feel like what they need most (and one of the reasons those other teams are where they are in the playoffs) is skill that can play a bit tougher style throughout the lineup.

I also think with a different,more aggressive defensive style we will see some of our guys show a lot better than they have in the physicality department. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chris12345 said:

Sure that's a solid argument but at some point physics catches up with smaller guys they can only get trucked so many times.

Those guys also get Matt Martin in their corner.

Yeah that's why I didn't disqualify the fact that big guys are needed too, but it's also true that it's not the Canucks as a whole.
There are some thicker built and tough guys on this team too who will push back.  We might not be loaded with Mayfield/ Dobson/ Pulock/ Pelech but the team isn't as far from being capable in that regard as we might think.  Admittedly Schmidt should be paired with a heavy defensive D-man like Larsson and Hamonic needs to come back, and the 3rd C needs to be sturdy and line up with grit and some size, but I think the whole argument (and its discounting of smaller but game-breaking talent) is overdone and some heavier guys are already here.  We need to strike a balance so that we're not solely slow plodding teams that would get skated out of the rink of we played the Avalanche or Lightning. 

Edited by Phil_314

I don’t know why they can’t get it, the turn the other cheek attitude that AV brought and Green continues to employ ensures we won’t see a Cup for a long, long time.

There is a reason that we’re a fun team to play against.

Edited by Dumb Nuck
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I think it is a serious problem. Virtanen will likely be gone which adds to it. Some bigger kids in the system so hopefully they make the jump. Playoff hockey is about attrition. 

maybe? Jake never really used his size much anyway. 

But for sure we need to add more guys with size and skill. I'm hoping Graovac and MacEwan can both take steps and make the team again. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Some good tough size doesn't mean you have to sacrifice speed and talent. Todays athletes are far more rounded than in the past years...we need some these players, they'll make our best players better by mitigating the fear of getting smoked every time they handle the puck.

I really feel that we need to draft some big guys that can skate and then help develop their stick skills. I am fed up with dafting the 7 Dwarves (lightweights) and trying to develop their skill. Go BIG or GO HOME!

really!

Hockey is a PHYSICAL GAME, Go get some PHysically Dominant GUYS

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Puckster said:

I really feel that we need to draft some big guys that can skate and then help develop their stick skills. I am fed up with dafting the 7 Dwarves (lightweights) and trying to develop their skill. Go BIG or GO HOME!

really!

Hockey is a PHYSICAL GAME, Go get some PHysically Dominant GUYS

Jake is a ver6 heavy body.  He’s not physical though at all.  Maybe we just need to continue drafting, and trading for skill, character, and compete?  If the guy is heavier, then that’s great, but he must have skill, character, and compete first.  

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Yeah that's why I didn't disqualify the fact that big guys are needed too, but it's also true that it's not the Canucks as a whole.
There are some thicker built and tough guys on this team too who will push back.  We might not be loaded with Mayfield/ Dobson/ Pulock/ Pelech but the team isn't as far from being capable in that regard as we might think.  Admittedly Schmidt should be paired with a heavy defensive D-man like Larsson and Hamonic needs to come back, and the 3rd C needs to be sturdy and line up with grit and some size, but I think the whole argument (and its discounting of smaller but game-breaking talent) is overdone and some heavier guys are already here.  We need to strike a balance so that we're not solely slow plodding teams that would get skated out of the rink of we played the Avalanche or Lightning. 

Yeah, let's see what Shaw can do with the roster.  Hopefully, he can bring in some truculence with his schemes from Columbus.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Interesting Fact that came out during yesterdays Donnie & Dahli Talk show, that the three heaviest teams (NYI, Tampa and LV) are in the final four (again) this year with Montreal being seventh heaviest team.   Meanwhile the Canucks are almost the Featherweight champions, being the second lightest team in the league.

Question becomes; Is this truly a factor in playoff success or can the Canucks actually push all the way thru the playoffs with a pack of tiny framed speed demons and regular season type finesse players, or will JB finally realize that they need to  "Bulk-up" with some size & grit to be able to move onto the promised land?

Canucks are far too small. Not enough hitting 

• Cheers 2

McTavish instead of Johnson please. 

I'm sure Johns would do good in the regular season but it's about the playoffs, yes I said it. It's all about the playoffs baby! 

Our speedy skill of Petie, Hogsy, even Bess and Pears could use some help retrieving pucks. A couple more skilled role guys. 

On that note I'd like to see Woo on the 4th as a banger AND as a utility guy. 

Why finish so many games at 5 defenseman. Plus if Huggy gets rocked they could switch for a shift or two. 

How many playoff games were effected by losing a Dman. Especially in a long hard fought series. Dmen are more valuable and it's not good losing a Dman in a playoff game and messing up the pairings. 

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Yes, you need size to go with skill, and if you don't have the overall size then you better play a heavier game.

I'm stoked we got Shaw to help with defence, but I've be even happier to see our guys push back on cheap shots and stick up for each other at the drop of a hat. This is another coaching change that needs to happen. Here's hoping.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2