The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

At what point do the bruins blow it up?

Rate this topic

Title says it all,

last season they let Chara walk, this season Rask and Krejci are UFAs, they were out worked and out played by the Islanders. 

they still have some good players but their core is getting old now, so they attempt to retool on the fly or go scorched earth to get the maximum return sooner rather than later?

Bergeron is up at the end of next season do we see them selling at the deadline!

If they were smart, they would have their finger on the trigger and blow it up next year mid-season if they're not clicking on all cylinders.  

Prices are the highest as you approach the trade deadline, and this core deserves one more fair shot. 

We are at the same discussion years ago when the Bruins started to miss the playoffs and yet here they are still a very good competitive team. The one constant the team has is Marchand and Bergeron. As long as they are in the team, the Bruins can have a couple of down season but retool to become a Top team again. 

So to answer the question only when either Marchand or Bergeron retires.

• Cheers 1

I don't know if Boston would go for a full on rebuild, especially when they've got elite talent like Pastrnak and McAvoy in or entering their primes. What I imagine them doing is a larger scale version of the retool they did in 2015. 

They've still got Marchand locked up long term at reasonable caphit, and as much as we all dislike him, he is one of the best wingers in the NHL. Bergeron and Krejci I can totally see re-signing at sweetheart short term deals given their age. 

If they do something major, I can't imagine it would be until after next season, barring something unforeseen like the wheels completely falling off next year.

They were actually still quite competitive this year.. I dont see them blowing it up at all even if the decline is true. At least they are in a better spot than Penguins who has declined to a much worse shape. Bruins also have some young uns that's slowly geling into their core like Patrnak/DeBrusk/Ritchie/McAvoy/Grzelczyk. If anything, I see Bruins as buyers. They will probably do what Benning has tried to do, do hockey trades, aiming for players aged under 25. Their Coyle and Ritchie trades are exactly this. Just that the Coyle trade did not work out well.

I doubt he would, but if Beagle is on LTIR I'd like to see Krejci on a one year deal here as our 4C. 

As far as blowing it up, I doubt they do that, I think they try to squeeze a few more years out of that top line and just try to re-tool via free agency. With the flat cap they might be able to actually do a decent job of it, if they stay away from Hall.

So I'm hoping they throw big money at Hall :lol:

• Cheers 1

Bergeron and Krijci are 35.  That’s their two top centres.  The Bruins have enough around those two to continue to be a playoff team, but not to really be serious contenders.  But they are pretty much in no-man’s land right now.  They need to find two top centres, who are as good as PB and DK are, and that’s near to impossible from where they will draft - unless lightening strikes twice for them, which is doubtful.  

Bruin fans are in for a decade of darkness.  And that makes Alf smile. ::D

• Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Bergeron and Krijci are 35.  That’s their two top centres.  The Bruins have enough around those two to continue to be a playoff team, but not to really be serious contenders.  But they are pretty much in no-man’s land right now.  They need to find two top centres, who are as good as PB and DK are, and that’s near to impossible from where they will draft - unless lightening strikes twice for them, which is doubtful.  

Bruin fans are in for a decade of darkness.  And that makes Alf smile. ::D

And that was my thinking about starting this thread- maybe a bit dramatic with blowing it up, but with Rask and Krejci up this season and Bergeron next season unless they sign them to short term deals and look to sell at the deadline and shift Bergeron as well they may have a strong set of complimentary players with the likes of pasta etc, but they will end up in the situation of not good enough to win not bad enough to lose for better players. 

Boston are known for not being sentimental over players so I wouldn’t be surprised to see them move Bergeron as he has a limited NTC (3 team) and get a haul back to rebuild /tool on the fly. 

I think it comes down to 2 things. Can Rask come back healthy and start playing elite hockey again, and can they get all their vets signed. If Krejci walks and they can't get a good replacement, it's another step back for Boston. They might try for another run but a couple first round bounces might force them to make drastic decisions.

9 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

If they were smart, they would have their finger on the trigger and blow it up next year mid-season if they're not clicking on all cylinders.  

Prices are the highest as you approach the trade deadline, and this core deserves one more fair shot. 

They already had a SCF rigged in their favour. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

they actually do not have a good goalie option, maybe they can take Holtby off our hands

They have a great young goalie that posted a .945 save percentage in 10 games last year, and a 1.50 GAA. 

18 hours ago, UKNuck96 said:

Title says it all,

last season they let Chara walk, this season Rask and Krejci are UFAs, they were out worked and out played by the Islanders. 

they still have some good players but their core is getting old now, so they attempt to retool on the fly or go scorched earth to get the maximum return sooner rather than later?

Bergeron is up at the end of next season do we see them selling at the deadline!

I don’t think the Bruins will sell off Bergeron or Marchand since those players are very much a part of their brand identity.   The Bruins won’t blow it up because they still have some very good pieces such as Pastrnak, McAvoy, and Carlo.   Being an original 6 team, Boston won’t have much trouble attracting UFA’s with their cap space.    

While I do agree that Boston will be passed by other teams in the East, I’m not sure if their mediocrity will last for very long.  

IMHO, the trio of Bergy, Rat, and Pasta are untouchables, they will get one more shot at a run before they blow it up, unless they really suck next season then the fire sale will begin ...all other UFAs will be gone or traded...

I will call it now.

The Bruins will sell off some older players for good young ones then have an off year just in time to win the Bedard lottery and suddenly rebound.

We all know its going to happen, dont we?

The only thing that would make it worse is if they bump the Canucks out of the top spot to do it lol.

Edited by wallstreetamigo