The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Defensive trends in the league, and the Canucks plan

Rate this topic

D.B Cooper

This has always been an issue with the Canucks. It is one of the reasons I get mad when some folks talk about getting rid of Meyers. I’m so done with watching the tiny Troy Strachers being utterly useless in the crease while defending against big forwards.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Had a horrible thought. Could Treliving end up signing Tryamkin?

Sounds like such a Treliving thing to do.

Jury still out though if Tryamkin could even play in the NHL. Being big is great but can he skate and does he have the IQ to play in this league?

41 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

I know people are gonna say ‘but you can make up for it with a bigger partner’.  
Thats BS.  Good teams dont roll like that. 

What about the 2017 Pens? Other than Oleksiak and Cole it wasn't a huge group. 

We definitely need to bulk up with 2 or 3 more guys but we don't necessarily need 6 d over 220. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, drummerboy said:

So, we keep hearing the Canucks and a couple other teams talk about how the league is shifting towards smaller, faster, puck moving defencemen. 

Our own Canucks are going to have at least 2-3 top 6 dmen who fit the mold of an undersized, skilled speedy dman.  

Is this actually a real trend?   
Or, I should say, is this trend actually successful?   

Personally, I’m a fan of the big, oldschool, defensive style dman.  Block shots, big hits and clearing the crease.  

Let’s look at the final 4 playoff teams D lines and see if this is actually a trend that is successful and if we are making the right moves. 

Montreal
Height

Weight

Ben Chiarot

6’3”

Shea Weber

6’4”

Brett Kulak

6’2”

Joel Edmundson

6’4”

Alexander Romanov

6’0”

Erik Gustaffson

6’0”

NY Islanders

Adam Pelech

6’3”

Ryan Pulock

6’2”

Nick Leddy

6’0”

Scott Mayfield

6’5”

Andy Greene

5’11”

Noah Dobson

6’4”

Tampa Bay

Victor Hedman

6’6”

Jan Rutta

6’2”

Ryan McDonagh

6’1”

Erik Cernak

6’3”

Mikhail Sergachev

6’2”

David Savard

6’2”

Vegas

Alec Martinez

6’1”

Alex Pietrangelo

6’3”

Brayden McNabb

6’4”

Shea Theodore

6’2”

Nick Holden

6’4”

Zach Whitecloud

6’2”

Other than Andy Green, who has been in the league a million years and doesn’t really play a small mans game, it looks that   6’ 200lbs is on the smaller end.  

So for this year at least, the ‘moving to smaller mobile dmen’ thing is 100% debunked. 

Are we making the wrong move by loading up on them?  

Hughes.  5-10. 170lbs

Rathbone 5-10. 178lbs

Joulevi.  6-2, but still very light at 180lbs

I would argue, that it would be good to include the Coaching staffs of the teams you mention and how they use personnel cause just look at Schmidts’ performance or Tanev with the Flakes.  Glad for the Shaw hiring and especially, hearing in the interview were (paraphrasing) he indicated that it is the staffs job to (mostly) adjust with roster/player rather than the expensive route of looking for perfect players to fit in a system.   Imo, JB can acquire McD and he will just be misused by the previous staff deployment & usage - hopefully, Shaw can deliver and be a difference maker based on that great interview.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Avs are hooped.  Three guys about 180 makes them losers.  

Imo, just like the Laffs & Deadmonton in the North division, once they find a goalie to build around with all that talent the team will be very competitive - Pittsburgh had MAF in net when they won 3 cups.   

Would be interesting to see how Sakic will keep all that talent together cause Makar is an RFA & Landeskog is a UFA ?

Edited by ShawnAntoski

59 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

What about the 2017 Pens? Other than Oleksiak and Cole it wasn't a huge group. 

We definitely need to bulk up with 2 or 3 more guys but we don't necessarily need 6 d over 220. 

Seeing as we are talking about current trends and not 5 years ago, I don’t see what the Pens have to do with this.... Also the Pens had Crosby, Malkin, Fluery, and Letang all in their prime.    That team was a dynasty. 

So the all the cup semi finalist are 205 + and 6'2" or bigger

So then we have to have guys that match up against them on forward as well

Hence why this is a big man's game in general, and how smaller guys need to be exceptional to be elite

just for the record, I have always said this, in general...............

Which takes me to this years draft.........

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drummerboy said:

So, we keep hearing the Canucks and a couple other teams talk about how the league is shifting towards smaller, faster, puck moving defencemen. 

Our own Canucks are going to have at least 2-3 top 6 dmen who fit the mold of an undersized, skilled speedy dman.  

Is this actually a real trend?   
Or, I should say, is this trend actually successful?   

Personally, I’m a fan of the big, oldschool, defensive style dman.  Block shots, big hits and clearing the crease.  

Let’s look at the final 4 playoff teams D lines and see if this is actually a trend that is successful and if we are making the right moves. 

Montreal
Height

Weight

Ben Chiarot

6’3”

Shea Weber

6’4”

Brett Kulak

6’2”

Joel Edmundson

6’4”

Alexander Romanov

6’0”

Erik Gustaffson

6’0”

NY Islanders

Adam Pelech

6’3”

Ryan Pulock

6’2”

Nick Leddy

6’0”

Scott Mayfield

6’5”

Andy Greene

5’11”

Noah Dobson

6’4”

Tampa Bay

Victor Hedman

6’6”

Jan Rutta

6’2”

Ryan McDonagh

6’1”

Erik Cernak

6’3”

Mikhail Sergachev

6’2”

David Savard

6’2”

Vegas

Alec Martinez

6’1”

Alex Pietrangelo

6’3”

Brayden McNabb

6’4”

Shea Theodore

6’2”

Nick Holden

6’4”

Zach Whitecloud

6’2”

Other than Andy Green, who has been in the league a million years and doesn’t really play a small mans game, it looks that   6’ 200lbs is on the smaller end.  

So for this year at least, the ‘moving to smaller mobile dmen’ thing is 100% debunked. 

Are we making the wrong move by loading up on them?  

Hughes.  5-10. 170lbs

Rathbone 5-10. 178lbs

Joulevi.  6-2, but still very light at 180lbs

It would be interesting if you did a comparison to the last 5 Stanley cup winners to see what their D size is. I think that would be more interesting than just 1 playoff year in a shortened and weird season.

Edited by #Canucks
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, #Canucks said:

It would be interesting if you did a comparison to the last 5 Stanley cup winners to see what their D size is. I think that would be more interesting than just 1 playoff year in a shortened and weird season.

What’s been weird about the playoffs?   Pretty much the same format.  
same amount of teams and games being played

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Imo, just like the Laffs & Deadmonton in the North division, once they find a goalie to build around with all that talent the team will be very competitive - Pittsburgh had MAF in net when they won 3 cups.   

Would be interesting to see how Sakic will keep all that talent together cause Makar is an RFA & Landeskog is a UFA ?

I agree totally with your point about building around the goalie but for the record MAF was only in the net for the first cup. Matt Murray was in goal for the other two. Whether it was justified or not Fleury used to have a bit of rep as being a regular season goalie and faltering in the playoffs. The Penguins protected Murray and MAF waived his NTC to go to Vegas. There doesn’t seem to be any signs of him not rising to the occasion anymore.