The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Defensive trends in the league, and the Canucks plan

Rate this topic

Loser Leafs :  Muzzin 220, Bogosian 220, Reilly 220, Holl 210, Brodie 190

The Loser Leaf’s D are big guys.  They should win the Cup with such a heavy D corpse, right?

30 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Unbelievable, in the article it says benning gave up 2 prospects and 2 draft picks for toffoli. I mean why lie about the trade? If you wanna be taken seriously theres no need to lie like that.

Maybe a typo, who knows

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Loser Leafs :  Muzzin 220, Bogosian 220, Reilly 220, Holl 210, Brodie 190

The Loser Leaf’s D are big guys.  They should win the Cup with such a heavy D corpse, right?

The Laffs needs to sign a Sumo wrestler to a cheap 10yr contract to play net and that should solve there goaltending problem; while Dubas continues to pay the four headed monster with 50% of the teams cap...

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Hydration 1
5 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

It’s one of those situations where if you follow the pack you are never setting the trend and always behind as you are reactive, why you need to do is learn what is in vogue and learn how to counter it, and then play it better until teams are adapting to you. 

looking back at previous winners helps set a template, but if you want to win you either need to do what a previous team did but better (whist somehow doing that in a cap compliant manner) or you need to look at what the league did, what the league is trending and essentially play the anti game to that. 

I agree and hopefully JB will continue to evolve and used his experience with the Bruins cup win to set the next trend.  Not confident about the potential roster tweaking this offseason based on JBs history in the offseason.  Perhaps Aquaman can start a hindsight department or just like Green, JB should look at changing his AGM's

Edited by ShawnAntoski
38 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

It’s one of those situations where if you follow the pack you are never setting the trend and always behind as you are reactive, why you need to do is learn what is in vogue and learn how to counter it, and then play it better until teams are adapting to you. 

looking back at previous winners helps set a template, but if you want to win you either need to do what a previous team did but better (whist somehow doing that in a cap compliant manner) or you need to look at what the league did, what the league is trending and essentially play the anti game to that. 

It mightn’t have been your intent but you couldn’t haven given a better description for Newell Brown and our pp.

1 hour ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Unbelievable, in the article it says benning gave up 2 prospects and 2 draft picks for toffoli. I mean why lie about the trade? If you wanna be taken seriously theres no need to lie like that.

More lazy than lying, I think.

I doubt they were really trying to deceive anyone. 

If they’d written two players and two picks, they’d be accurate.

Of course one of the picks was conditional (we’d have given up a 2022 4th rounder if we’d re-signed Toffoli).

And the second player was Schaller. Definitely not a prospect, given he was 29 years old at the time of the trade.

In terms of actual assets of significant value, it’s just Madden and the Canucks 2020 2nd round pick.

But the full trade was Schaller, Madden, 2020 2nd, and 2022 4th (conditional), for Toffoli. I can see how someone unfamiliar with team and/or the assets involved, or just rushing to finish an article, could mistakenly summarize the Toffoli trade as the Canucks giving up “two prospects and two picks.”

Of course, they’d be wrong. But I don’t necessarily think they’d be lying. 

The guy appears to be an East Coast based freelance NHL writer. I wouldn’t expect much depth or accuracy to his research and commentary on the Vancouver Canucks.

• Thanks 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
1 minute ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Of course one of the picks was conditional (we’d have given up a 2022 4th rounder if we’d re-signed Toffoli).

And the second player was Schaller. Definitely not a prospect, given he was 29 years old at the time of the trade.

In terms of actual assets of significant value, it’s just Madden and the Canucks 2020 2nd round pick.

But the full trade was Schaller, Madden, 2020 2nd, and 2022 4th (conditional), for Toffoli. I can see how someone unfamiliar with team and/or the assets involved, or just rushing to finish an article, could mistakenly summarize the Toffoli trade as the Canucks giving up “two prospects and two picks.”

The guy appears to be an East Coast based freelance NHL writer. I wouldn’t expect much depth or accuracy to his research and commentary on the Vancouver Canucks.

Schaller had negative value and was a cap dump.  Just shows the authors of the article have bias.  It’s a craperolla piece.  Should be in the bottom of a bird cage.  

3 hours ago, Fred65 said:

The Canuck plan, here's an outsiders view of where Vcr missfired with it's plan !

5 NHL Teams That Continually Made Bad Front-Office Decisions | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights

as to the canucks :-

This article mentioned nothing about the defense or lack of size. Outside of saying we drafted Quinn and signed Myers (who would be point Benning when it comes to size on D which is what this discussion is about). Curious to why you find this article relevant about the discussion at hand, I think I'm missing the point.

• Hydration 1
9 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

You could be the most rational, level headed poster on this site.

How lonely you must be. :lol:

• Haha 4

Has to be a good mix, and D has to be able to skate.

Edler is declining faster than he skates. If he's re-signed, I hope it's cheap and he's used as a #6-7.

Hughes

Rathbone

Juolevi

all smart, and very good/great skaters IMO

Hamonic is important too, even though he's not the fastest. He's a good partner for Hughes and tough, so I hope they re-sign him. They could use another 1-2 D like him. Myers is pretty good, but his size gets a lot of calls against him. He needs to be smarter with positioning and use his slap shot more. Maybe Brad Shaw will get the best out of them all.

Schmidt has been a bit of a disappointment for me, and him making almost $6 doesn't help. 

Hoping they can get a player like Parayko, Hamilton, or Cernak to add to this D group. 

Stayin' outa' this one.

A yr ago I suggested selling QH(very highhh) to the Devs. Got crapped on a bit.

Kid is a skating prodigy. But you gotta' payyy that, & the PO's you can get screwed with a new rulebook.

5 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Had a horrible thought. Could Treliving end up signing Tryamkin?

Sounds like such a Treliving thing to do.

Tryamkin will be 40 by the time his wife allows him to come to North America so he probably won't be that effective anymore...

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Had a horrible thought. Could Treliving end up signing Tryamkin?

Sounds like such a Treliving thing to do.

Good, hopefully he can deal with that headache entitled brat if he wants. 

5 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

So the all the cup semi finalist are 205 + and 6'2" or bigger

So then we have to have guys that match up against them on forward as well

Hence why this is a big man's game in general, and how smaller guys need to be exceptional to be elite

just for the record, I have always said this, in general...............

Which takes me to this years draft.........

If the ref called every penalty in the playoffs like regular season, big defenseman will not be needed but with the way ref called the playoffs, not giving their star players benefit of doubt, this will continue for foreseen future so we need some balance in the line-up, a mixture of big defensemen goes along with smaller skilled D-men is still needed for regular season but for playoffs, we still need some big bodies on the ice.  Big D-men is still valuable in today's game, still.  

• Huggy Bear 1
1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Stayin' outa' this one.

A yr ago I suggested selling QH(very highhh) to the Devs. Got crapped on a bit.

Kid is a skating prodigy. But you gotta' payyy that, & the PO's you can get screwed with a new rulebook.

So you partner/surround him with some guys that play that other rule book. You don't trade him.

• Hydration 1
3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

So you partner/surround him with some guys that play that other rule book. You don't trade him.

You may be right. I've always leaned towards a big blueline..but these decisions are beyond my humble armchair-paygrade.

11 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

If the ref called every penalty in the playoffs like regular season, big defenseman will not be needed but with the way ref called the playoffs, not giving their star players benefit of doubt, this will continue for foreseen future so we need some balance in the line-up, a mixture of big defensemen goes along with smaller skilled D-men is still needed for regular season but for playoffs, we still need some big bodies on the ice.  Big D-men is still valuable in today's game, still.  

Yesss????? Are you agreeing with me?

IMO, Hughes needs a big mobile Dman, who has elite skills of his own, so that he can beat the first wave, then pass it off to Hughes.

The problem is that Hughes can not take the first wave, so when he is the first back, they are throwing it in his corner, he has to move it extremely quick to the other side toprvent the pressure, then when the puck comes back, he does not have the same pressure.

A big Dman without good skills, will not help, can't get back, and can't move the puck out himself, if that makes sense,, so Quinn needs to play with talent, IMHO

• Like 1
  • Hydration 2