The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Defensive trends in the league, and the Canucks plan

Rate this topic

D.B Cooper

9 hours ago, King Heffy said:

I'm really not a fan of the Toronto method of icing a lineup full of defensemen who can't play defense, so I am happy to see the analytics dweebs getting embarrassed and the teams full of big crease clearing guys succeeding.  Not at all opposed to selling high on Rathbone.

What gets me is Toronto fans buying in on how amazing their defence is. 

You mean the team that let in 10 goals in the last 3 games of the series, despite your goalie standing on his head? That defence?

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

In the offensive end of the ice and on the PP maybe.

McAvoy is a much better overall dman than Hughes at this point though.

Yeah... Puts up 3/4 of the offense of Hughes but is a career + player...

Both were 1ppg in their most recent playoff runs as well.

Honestly if they were open to a Hughes-McAvoy swap as @Elias Petterssonsuggested, so they could play Hughes with Carlo... Rathbone-McAvoy could be a pretty good pairing here :lol:

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Honestly if they were open to a Hughes-McAvoy swap as @Elias Petterssonsuggested, so they could play Hughes with Carlo... Rathbone-McAvoy could be a pretty good pairing here :lol:

I would do it in a heartbeat. For exactly the reason you suggest. McAvoy is definitely the kind of dman any team needs to win but we also have Rathbone. He has a great shot and can move the puck well. And tbh he looks to me like he is going to be a more responsible defensive player than we have seen from Hughes.

Also, if you look at the guys Shaw has worked with, doesnt McAvoy just scream "right in Shaw's wheelhouse to make even more dominant"? He sure does to me.

Same feeling with Dahlin tbh.

• Cheers 1

You guys really have forgotten how good quinn is. Unbelievable. Typical canuck fans wanting an offensive defenseman for as long as I remember and when they finally get one hes still not good enough for these fans.

We really think we beating the wild in the playoffs without hughes and having dahlin in his place? Absolutely not. 

One not so good season with tons of variables on why he didnt have a good season  and its all about only his defense when hes only 21 years old. 

give your heads a shake ur fricken lucky we have this kid.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

You guys really have forgotten how good quinn is. Unbelievable. Typical canuck fans wanting an offensive defenseman for as long as I remember and when they finally get one hes still not good enough for these fans.

We really think we beating the wild in the playoffs without hughes and having dahlin in his place? Absolutely not. 

One not so good season with tons of variables on why he didnt have a good season  and its all about only his defense when hes only 21 years old. 

give your heads a shake ur fricken lucky we have this kid.

Who said he isnt good? So are the guys we are talking about though. 

Defensemen who can provide offense are more valuable when they cando so without conpletely sacrificing playing defense. If Hughes can do that, he will be as valuable as a guy like McAvoy. Until he does, he isnt going to be a true #1 dman.

3 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I would do it in a heartbeat. For exactly the reason you suggest. McAvoy is definitely the kind of dman any team needs to win but we also have Rathbone. He has a great shot and can move the puck well. And tbh he looks to me like he is going to be a more responsible defensive player than we have seen from Hughes.

Also, if you look at the guys Shaw has worked with, doesnt McAvoy just scream "right in Shaw's wheelhouse to make even more dominant"? He sure does to me.

Same feeling with Dahlin tbh.

Yeah Rathbone's not as dynamic as Hughes. Not quite the 'waterbug' of a skater or quite as 'high end' of a player. But he will likely be more 'complete'... Hughes for McAvoy... Yeah I'd think about it. As amazing as Hughes is.

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yeah Rathbone's not as dynamic as Hughes. Not quite the 'waterbug' of a skater or quite as 'high end' of a player. But he will likely be more 'complete'... Hughes for McAvoy... Yeah I'd think about it. As amazing as Hughes is.

Yeah and when quinn puts up 80 or more points for boston we can all be like “WE FINALLY HAVE A NUMBER 1 DMAN GUYS WE NEVER NEEDED A QUINN TYPE A PLAYER. MCAVOY IS WAY BETTER ON DEFENSE AND GETS US 30 POINTS!”

2 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Yeah and when quinn puts up 80 or more points for boston we can all be like “WE FINALLY HAVE A NUMBER 1 DMAN GUYS WE NEVER NEEDED A QUINN TYPE A PLAYER. MCAVOY IS WAY BETTER ON DEFENSE AND GETS US 30 POINTS!”

McAvoy is not a 30 point D. He's also only 23, and like Hughes, still improving.

If Hughes puts up 80, McAvoy puts up 60. All while letting less goals against, having more size/pushback etc.

• Cheers 1

Just now, aGENT said:

McAvoy is not a 30 point D. He's also only 23, and like Hughes, still improving.

If Hughes puts up 80, McAvoy puts up 60. All while letting less goals against, having more size/pushback etc.

This.

If Hughes gets 80 points I shudder to think what happens to his already lackluster defensive game.

I'm very curious about d zone play next season.  I noticed the D and C had to work very hard to create loose pucks/TG turnovers.  If the wingers wernt able to break out-D was absolutely gassed.  Hoglander/Motte were very good at getting the puckout.  Hopefully Podzkolzin is a difference maker in that regard as well.   Shaw might bring in some d zone tweaks which help.  Would be a huge difference maker if the Canucks can execute better getting out of the d zone.  

• Vintage 1

43 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Meh, McAvoy is two years older.  Just wait until Hughes is 23 and learns how to play defense, he will be unstoppable really...

We could always do a Rathbone for Carlo deal.  Kill two birds with one stone.  

8 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Yeah you could beg jim to trade him or complain about it on CDC.

When did I beg Jim to trade him? People put hypothetical proposals out for him and I said I would do them.

I am not complaining about him. I am realostically pointing out his deficiencies as a player defensively.

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

When did I beg Jim to trade him? People put hypothetical proposals out for him and I said I would do them.

I am not complaining about him. I am realostically pointing out his deficiencies as a player defensively.

I will point also out that mcavoy wasnt that great defensively against the islanders. 

2 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

I will point also out that mcavoy wasnt that great defensively against the islanders. 

He is a much better defensive player than Hughes, attempts to minimize his defensive play aside. Not sure how anyone would try to debate that. Its not even close.

Edited by wallstreetamigo