The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Friedman: Dougie Hamilton given permission to talk to other teams re: sign and trade

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Travis Hamonic says hi lol

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

So you hate Hamonic then? 

I'm surprised it took that long for the CDC police to ticket me on that one haha. As soon as i hit send i'm like " ahh sh*t, Hamonic, ferland... "

• Haha 2

Hamilton is a very good RHD. He will get paid more than we can afford and I’m ok with that. This is not the year to put out big bucks on a UFA. Most of this has already been said but:

1- we need to sign Petey and Hughes before spending another nickel of cap space. 
2- despite being a legit top line guy he is not the top line guy we need. A more defensive minded (and more physical) player is needed badly to help out Hughes, Schmidt etc. Not another offence first type. 
3- flat cap, young team, expansion year, lots of questions and a bunch of cap opening next year as well as more D expected to hit the market. 

I will be quite pleased if we sign Hamonic and Edler (or any other vet/reasonable D to a low cap, low term deal and ride out the year. See what we have now in Juolevi, Rathbone and hopefully take a look at Woo as well. If we are going to splurge anyway make a smaller splash and go after someone like Larson that at least fits with our needs and will be cheaper than Dougie. 

• Hydration 3

7 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I guess with Risto, you don't want to pay much either. Would you be willing to expose Schmidt if Jim picked up Risto?

I'd consider trading Schmidt (after the ED) but if we have to expose someone extra, it's Myers IMO.

Dare Seattle to take the 'mediocre analytics' guy who is (IMO) more replaceable.

That said, at this point I don't see us spending major assets to trade for a guy like Risto. Kick tires on teams 4+ deep on solid D, for cheap, ahead of the ED (CAR, TBL, NYI etc). Otherwise sign some short term guys this summer and target Parayko, Risto etc next year.

• Hydration 1
  • Burr 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

I'd consider trading Schmidt (after the ED) but if we have to expose someone extra, it's Myers IMO.

Dare Seattle to take the 'mediocre analytics' guy who is (IMO) more replaceable.

That said, at this point I don't see us spending major assets to trade for a guy like Risto. Kick tires on teams 4+ deep on solid D, for cheap, ahead of the ED (CAR, TBL, NYI etc). Otherwise sign some short term guys this summer and target Parayko, Risto etc next year.

Totally agree with all of this.

I dont think Seattle would take Myers if he was exposed. But at least if they did the silver lining is there is lots of cap to replace him. 

Not sure tgey would take Schmidt but I think its more likely than Myers.

Edited by wallstreetamigo

17 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Totally agree with all of this.

I dont think Seattle would take Myers if he was exposed. But at least if they did the silver lining is there is lots of cap to replace him. 

Not sure tgey would take Schmidt but I think its more likely than Myers.

I think they would. Even as a 'mediocre fancy stat' guy, he's still worlds better/more valuable than anyone else we'd be exposing.

But as you say, at least we open the cap space to sign someone else.

So theoretically, we trade for 'X' right D, we expose (and lose) Myers and then sign a Hamonic/Savard/Larsson (probably at a couple mill less). Hell, maybe even two of them if we want to move Schmidt left and tandem Juolevi/Rathbone.

Hardly the end of the world.

Hughes, Larsson/Savard

Schmidt, 'X'

Juolevi/Rathbone, Hamonic

Or we just keep him :lol:

Pass: acquiring him will deplete the team of there depth in future assets and (also) cap space.  Preferably, if the team is spending cap it would be in FA and not paying with unknown lottery tickets like: prospects & draft picks; which are a big part of the teams (cheap) depth.

Plus, no guarantee he will do well with Greens system perhaps better to see what Shaw can do with the team first before acquiring any (major) pieces.   

Edited by ShawnAntoski

40 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Seems like there's ALL kinds of radar-warnings goin' off with this guy!?

Well there were those odd stories true or not from Boston and Calgary that teammates didn't get along with him, he's just a different dude.  

• Vintage 1

Pass. Zadorov to mentor Podkolzin and add size. Try to trade Juolevi for a decent pick or package with Jake/Holtby/Eriksson etc. 
Next offseason go for the RHD when we can bully teams with cap space. 

3 hours ago, amplified0ne said:

Well there were those odd stories true or not from Boston and Calgary that teammates didn't get along with him, he's just a different dude.  

Pass on that alone. 

2 hours ago, KyGuy123 said:

Pass. Zadorov to mentor Podkolzin and add size. Try to trade Juolevi for a decent pick or package with Jake/Holtby/Eriksson etc. 
Next offseason go for the RHD when we can bully teams with cap space. 

How much cap space will we have to spend? I’m sure other teams will have just as much cap space to go after some of the players the Canucks are hopefully going after as well. 

9 hours ago, aGENT said:

I think they would. Even as a 'mediocre fancy stat' guy, he's still worlds better/more valuable than anyone else we'd be exposing.

Or we just keep him :lol:

we're assuming that we can get someone as good to replace him... thats a big risk. Its easier to find left side d so for me, I'd be exposing Nate if we have to choose which veteran to dangle to Seattle. 

The slide rule gang calling Myers "replacement level" is hilarious. Sure, lets replace Myers with Chatfield or Stecher, thats gonna work.