The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Rangers name Gerard Gallant as head coach

Rate this topic

Imo, his greatest strategy is to roll four lines which keeps the whole roster (very) engaged and every player motivated to buy in.  Perhaps (a big reason) why he was able to be successful in Vegas with a bunch of so called cast-offs (?).

If Shaw is able to manifest that great interview on to the ice (with the help of the other coaches) then this offseason is already a win. 

Edited by ShawnAntoski

9 hours ago, Viper007 said:

Gallant's teams haven't won anything in the NHL either.

? Gallant took a mintly assembled NHL team to the stanley cup finals in their first season. That in itself is probably bigger than a cup win for a coach. He just won the World Championship. The guy's a winner and we just missed out. Sticking with Green, hope it works out. 

59 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

? Gallant took a mintly assembled NHL team to the stanley cup finals in their first season. That in itself is probably bigger than a cup win for a coach. He just won the World Championship. The guy's a winner and we just missed out. Sticking with Green, hope it works out. 

Like with players on other teams, many here feel that slagging on Gallant somehow makes [insert Canucks player/coach here] better by comparison. Its a very flawed approach.

Gallant is a good coach, understands his roster very well, and builds a system around the talent he has rather than trying to force a system on the players.

Huge win for NYR getting him. He will improve that team significantly imo.

7 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Like with players on other teams, many here feel that slagging on Gallant somehow makes [insert Canucks player/coach here] better by comparison. Its a very flawed approach.

Gallant is a good coach, understands his roster very well, and builds a system around the talent he has rather than trying to force a system on the players.

Huge win for NYR getting him. He will improve that team significantly imo.

I don’t compare him to our coaches as there is not direct comparison to make. He has been very successful without a doubt and appears to be a good coach based on that success. What I question is the fact that he was fired twice, from teams that were still doing well with him as their coach. Any thoughts on that?

2 hours ago, CaptKirk888 said:

I don’t compare him to our coaches as there is not direct comparison to make. He has been very successful without a doubt and appears to be a good coach based on that success. What I question is the fact that he was fired twice, from teams that were still doing well with him as their coach. Any thoughts on that?

I dont think the Florida situation can really be used as a reflection on Gallant as a coach. He was doing reasonably well when he was fired. It was mostly due to a bizarre power trip Keenan-like situation centered around Tom Rowe trying to consolidate power around himself. Gallant is a guy that has his own strong opinion on how his teams need to play. Clearly Rowe did not agree with that approach. Considering how quickly Rowe flamed out at the top of that organization and was garbage as coach, I think almost everyone agrees firing Gallant was not only handled brutally, but that it was a clear mistake. 

Vegas to me just felt like a new GM being impatient and wanting to bring in his own guy. Vegas was struggling a bit at the time so it doesnt seem like it was completely bizarre that Gallant would get the axe, but given the overall job he had done there, it was surprising they pulled the plug. I think they bought into the DeBoer hype too tbh and when he became available wanted to get him.

It seems like Gallant's issue is more with management rather than with the team, players tuning him out, or even actual results. Pretty much everyone says he is a great coach to play for. He seems to rankle management pretty quickly though.

Should be interesting with Dolan lol

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, DeNiro said:

People have really built him up into something he’s not.

If we were looking for a new coach why not just hire back AV? He’s way more accomplished than Gallant.

God please no! He started this turn the other cheek attitude that Green seems to love and as long as we maintain it we’ll be a fun team to play against and never have any playoff success.

8 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I dont think the Florida situation can really be used as a reflection on Gallant as a coach. He was doing reasonably well when he was fired. It was mostly due to a bizarre power trip Keenan-like situation centered around Tom Rowe trying to consolidate power around himself. Gallant is a guy that has his own strong opinion on how his teams need to play. Clearly Rowe did not agree with that approach. Considering how quickly Rowe flamed out at the top of that organization and was garbage as coach, I think almost everyone agrees firing Gallant was not only handled brutally, but that it was a clear mistake. 

Vegas to me just felt like a new GM being impatient and wanting to bring in his own guy. Vegas was struggling a bit at the time so it doesnt seem like it was completely bizarre that Gallant would get the axe, but given the overall job he had done there, it was surprising they pulled the plug. I think they bought into the DeBoer hype too tbh and when he became available wanted to get him.

It seems like Gallant's issue is more with management rather than with the team, players tuning him out, or even actual results. Pretty much everyone says he is a great coach to play for. He seems to rankle management pretty quickly though.

Should be interesting with Dolan lol

Dolan is power hungry.  Gallant better watch out for what he does around him.

• 4 weeks later...