The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Trade Dipietro and the 9th overall.

In return to Buffalo or Seattle for the 1st or 2nd overall? 
How far up could we go?

As Demko seems to solidify a lengthy career as an elite NHL Goalie, and knowing that the years ahead will offer other back ups with high caliber experience through Free Agency,  perhaps this is the time to move our potential, for another teams potential. 

Adding the 9th pick with Dipietro,  should raise a few eyebrows with other teams scouts.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think we could do that deal with Detroit at 6.  I don't see how it helps us though, in that scenario.  

I agree that probably gets us to 6, which gives us a few more options.  I bet you'd get one of Hughes, Clarke or Eklund there.  That's a pretty high cost though.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I think MDP has some value, but nowhere near where some people think. 

He's essentially unproven at the NHL level and while he's had some success at the AHL level - he's played less than 50 games total of professional hockey and he missed basically an entire year of actual game-opportunities unfortunately.  If the situation were reversed would you take another franchise's unproven goalie prospect and their 9th for our 1oa, 2nd, or 3rd?  I certainly wouldn't.  

Where we're sitting at 9oa in a basically consensus 'average' draft is not the year we move up in my view - the cost won't equal the return.

Stay the course, draft BPA (hopefully a defenceman or a natural center) and don't rock the boat in terms of overzealous UFA signings. 

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I think MDP has some value, but nowhere near where some people think. 

He's essentially unproven at the NHL level and while he's had some success at the AHL level - he's played less than 50 games total of professional hockey and he missed basically an entire year of actual game-opportunities unfortunately.  If the situation were reversed would you take another franchise's unproven goalie prospect and their 9th for our 1oa, 2nd, or 3rd?  I certainly wouldn't.  

Where we're sitting at 9oa in a basically consensus 'average' draft is not the year we move up in my view - the cost won't equal the return.

Stay the course, draft BPA (hopefully a defenceman or a natural center) and don't rock the boat in terms of overzealous UFA signings. 

Because management dropped the ball on that one.  We OWN our AHL affiliate but we let the Blues goalie(prospects) take some starts instead of Dipietro.  Like wtf?  We better be getting some kind of "favor" from the Blues in the future.  

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

We'd have to give up a lot more than that. 

Might have the makings of a package to jump higher, but jumping from 9 into the top 3 would likely harm us more than help us given what it'd cost. Particularly given there's more uncertainty regarding this year's top 10 then there'd usually be given how Covid's mucked things up.

..  perhaps add the rights to Virtannen,.  
there will never be another “Cam Neely “ ;)

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

..  perhaps add the rights to Virtannen,.  
there will never be another “Cam Neely “ ;)

I don't Virtanen holds much value right now, not after the season he had, and particularly given the ongoing legal scenario he's involved in 

I could see him being included in a deal if a team would take him on though, I don't see the Canucks wanting him back regardless of how the legal bit plays out, he's bad optics at this point and he's had plenty of chances

Nucks would probably prefer to roll the dice on someone else, likely one of their own prospects 

1 minute ago, Dixon Ward said:

Can you explain your severe comments?

An undersized goaltender who has played minimal professional-level hockey? Considering goalies already are hard to get value from in trades...

His CHL performance is notable, but not enough to warrant any sort of return. 

He's worth about a 5th-6th rounder right now, tbh. Worth far more to us than he is to any other team.

Not a trade chip when talking about moving up draft spots in the top 10.

19 minutes ago, nergish said:

Guys, I like Mikey and think he's borderline underrated as a goaltending prospect... but he has little to no value.

I think youre wrong about that. Top prospects do have value. He was invited to be on team canada. You think they just add bums to the team?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Scottydzik said:

We’re really sitting in a sweet spot at 9 we’re gonna get one of the elite players and will be an easy pick for Benning it’s not worth giving him up in this kind of draft and where we sit 

… but the thought of adding one of the 2 top D men in the Draft ?

Blue Chips.