The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Sharks sign Jonathan Dahlen

I could never understand why we gave up on him so easily... he got amazing chemistry with Petey... I know he was in the 2nd tier but he produced big numbers... didn't do badly either at Utica... guess he must have said/done something to piss off JB sooooo badly... 

21 hours ago, Dazzle said:

He (Dahlen) actually regressed when you look at the stats.

I have a very sour taste over how Dahlen handled himself here. All this talk about being buddies with Pettersson, but couldn't even finish the year in the AHL and got himself shipped out.

Think of concussions.

Dahlen had two concussions in AHL.

Other players know that so in one occassion he got an elbow right at the head.

So I believe he is a bit cautious and it can be  hamstring to point production.

I actually don't know if it is any idea to have a normal conversation with a fan as biased as you are. Prove me wrong. 

• Haha 3

Wish him all the best, think most on here were pumped when we got him especially knowing him and EP40 were good friends. Unfortunately, he seems to feel like he is owed or should be gifted a top 9 NHL roster spot and that is just not how it works. If he jumps ship back to Sweden during any point next season then he is basically Anton Rodin 2.0 for me minus the bad injury. Skilled guy who had upside but lacked the drive to want to persevere through adversity and prove to people he does in fact belong in the best hockey league!

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, rekker said:

Meh, I have no issue moving on from this player. 

Rekker can we make a thread about TT next saying the same thing?  Hogs/JV vs TT hmmm.   Take what we have and be happy about it.   Not to mention Podz is also a RW.   Never seen so much love for a player that barely had a cup of coffee on this team.   Sean Burke, Geoff Sanderson ... we've had others and we will have more in the future.   Sundin - the guy that single handedly despite only being around for half a season, taught the Sedins how to "play the right way" is also revisionist history that isn't true.   Telling them to "play in the playoffs like you do in the regular season" is the only thing i can find anywhere, yet some folks believe the Sedins had that extra peak because Sundin was here is simply ridiculous.     Plus if you think about it ... maybe they should have asked Linden what it takes to succeed in the playoffs instead?   Maybe Linden did too.   

• Cheers 2

22 hours ago, RakuRaku said:

I could never understand why we gave up on him so easily... he got amazing chemistry with Petey... I know he was in the 2nd tier but he produced big numbers... didn't do badly either at Utica... guess he must have said/done something to piss off JB sooooo badly... 

He wasn't ready for the NHL yet. His agent tried to force his hand and suggest a trade may be of best interest. It may have been a bluff, Benning called them out on it and traded him. He expected to be in the NHL, but stuck in the lower level in Sweden. Wish him the best and hope he can make a career for himself, but the drive doesn't seem to be there despite how talented he is.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

On 6/15/2021 at 2:21 PM, RakuRaku said:

I watched him play live in Utica a few games and also had very high expectations - wasn't unhappy, not blown away either.   If what they are saying is true JB did the right thing to trade him, EP doesn't need the distraction.   If he can't break either NHL lineup then that's the end of that.   Rather see what Gads can do, managed more this year then Dahlen ever did at the same level, plus he's exactly what this team needs, a guy that will do his best Perry impression and make lived miserable for opposing Ds and goalies.   

Was pretty excited to watch him and OJ play.   Dahlen had one shift that was pretty awesome the rest ok.   Small sample size - don't know what he's like now...but doubt either player (Linus too) ever sees much NHL action. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

14 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Oh, this is just rich coming from you; the poster that blamed everyone else except Dahlen.

Dahlen didn't get traded because of a concussion. That much is clear. Having the concussions afterward are unfortunate incidents. I wish them on no one. But the fact remains: Dahlen had a chance to play with Pettersson. All he had to do was play out the AHL year and shut up. Then train hard for the summer, come back for training camp and force his way into a lineup.

But noooooo.

Here's something from after the Dahlen trade. Did Benning lie about this? :rolleyes:

https://www.fearthefin.com/2019/2/27/18242765/2019-nhl-trade-deadline-jonathan-dahlen-vancouver-canucks-jim-benning-san-jose-sharks-barracuda

“His agent asked me a couple weeks ago if we could move him,” Jim Benning said in his post-trade deadline press conference on Monday.

Benning added, “I find young players now, sometimes they don’t want to pay their dues in development time, they just want to be given an NHL opportunity right off the start.

“We just felt there was some development left in his game before he’s ready to be given an NHL opportunity. I guess that’s kind of where the discrepancy on what they thought and on what we thought where he was happened.”

In response, Dahlen’s agent J.P. Berry admitted to Sportsnet 650’s Rick Dhaliwal, “There was frustration on both sides. We had numerous discussions on how to improve the situation. More recently a possible move was discussed as an option.”

He hat at least one concussion with Comets.

The trade bit is something an agent Always look at. They want money you know. 

If a player stalls somewhere it's always an option 

Regarding coaches psychology... Dahlen wasn't the only one leaving Utica. 

• RoughGame 3

6 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

He hat at least one concussion with Comets.

The trade bit is something an agent Always look at. They want money you know. 

If a player stalls somewhere it's always an option 

Regarding coaches psychology... Dahlen wasn't the only one leaving Utica. 

IMO Dahlen will be back playing in the second division in Sweden before Christmas.  He lacks the compete to play in the National League.  His coaches and (especially) his teammates will not accept his lack of compete.  

• Cheers 3

Just now, Alflives said:

IMO Dahlen will be back playing in the second division in Sweden before Christmas.  He lacks the compete to play in the National League.  His coaches and (especially) his teammates will not accept his lack of compete.  

No, it will be in SHL with Timrå so I hope your right. :towel:

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I watched him play live in Utica a few games and also had very high expectations - wasn't unhappy, not blown away either.   If what they are saying is true JB did the right thing to trade him, EP doesn't need the distraction.   If he can't break either NHL lineup then that's the end of that.   Rather see what Gads can do, managed more this year then Dahlen ever did at the same level, plus he's exactly what this team needs, a guy that will do his best Perry impression and make lived miserable for opposing Ds and goalies.   

Was pretty excited to watch him and OJ play.   Dahlen had one shift that was pretty awesome the rest ok.   Small sample size - don't know what he's like now...but doubt either player (Linus too) ever sees much NHL action. 

True... sometimes fit means a lot more... but JB tends to overpay for good character guys like Beagle and Roussel... he almost NEVER got a great deal for a productive offensive guy... let's hope this offseason will be different!!

• Cheers 1