The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Draft Day Deal

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

This deal hinges on whether or not Scott Morrow is available at Pick #33.

Canucks acquire:

Sam Reinhart

Buffalo's #33 2nd Round Selection

Sabres acquire:

Canucks #9 1st Round Selection

Canucks #41 2nd Round Selection

Antoine Roussel

Canucks shed $3M in salary, while also acquiring Reinhart for the Top 6.

With #33 OA, Canucks select Scott Morrow (https://thehockeywriters.com/scott-morrow-2021-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/).

Interesting idea but I think that's too heavily tilted in Vancouver's favour.   

Canucks acquire:   Reinhart, 3rd

Sabres acquire: #9, Rathbone, Roussel

Obviously, I would love it if Buffalo accepted your proposal rather than mine, since I love Rathbone, but I honestly can't see Buffalo accepting the original.  

I also don't like the idea of moving the 9OA if Dylan Guenther is available.  

Ultimately, I'd rather the Canucks just keep their 1st and prospects, and go after a guy like Granlund as their 3rd line C.   

Move Roussel to another team for a late round pick.

Edited by Patel Bure

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Canucks acquire:

Sam Reinhart

Sabres acquire:

Antoine Roussel

With #33 OA, Canucks select Scott Morrow (https://thehockeywriters.com/scott-morrow-2021-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/).

Ya, I would do that deal for sure.  Probably need to add some on our part though in my mind.  If we added DiPietro, they reportedly are pretty thin in the goaltending depth so he would be an attractive piece.

It is more attractive to them pre-expansion as it opens up a protection slot for them to make any other deals they might want to.

I think the return might be a bit much on our end, depending on how much Reinhart can net in the market.

If he wants to come home then I'd definitely still ask for their 2nd and include Roussel since then we can afford to play hardball.
If he'll entertain offers from elsewhere though, we might need to settle for a 1st and 2nd + Roussel for him (the 2nd to sell Roussel's last year and the 1st to get his rights).

Either way, I'm intrigued if his defensive game could hold up, or if we plan to bump Horvat to 3rd line (not sure I want Miller as a center full-time).

34 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

I think the return might be a bit much on our end, depending on how much Reinhart can net in the market.

If he wants to come home then I'd definitely still ask for their 2nd and include Roussel since then we can afford to play hardball.
If he'll entertain offers from elsewhere though, we might need to settle for a 1st and 2nd + Roussel for him (the 2nd to sell Roussel's last year and the 1st to get his rights).

Either way, I'm intrigued if his defensive game could hold up, or if we plan to bump Horvat to 3rd line (not sure I want Miller as a center full-time).

Reinhart doesn’t have any trade protection and is still RFA at the end of his current contract. He doesn’t have much say in his destination.  Vancouver won’t get an extra sweet deal because he won’t go to other cities 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

Canucks acquire:

Sam Reinhart

Sabres acquire:

Antoine Roussel

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Hoglander

Vesey-Reinhart-Podkolzin

Motte-Beagle-MacEwen (Highmore)

Is a really good top 9 but I can’t see Buffalo agreeing to that deal.  

To Canucks:  Reinhart

To Sabres:  9OA + Rathbone + Roussel

*might* get it done.

-Buyout Virtanen

-Walk from Edler, Sutter, Baertschi + Eriksson to the minors. 
-walk from Hamonic + sign Larssson.

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Hoglander

Vesey-Reinhart-Podkolzin

Motte-Beagle-MacEwen

Hughes-Larsson

Rathbone-Schmidt 

Juolevi-Myers

Demko

Holtby

Edited by Patel Bure

I wasn't impressed with Vesey, tbh. Would rather see Motte in the 3lw if he wasn't so damn good at being a 4th liner. Even Highmore plays the right way for a 3rd line role.

Wouldn't Buffalo potentially rather take Loui? The real cash is in their favor and they couldn't care less about the extra cap. And it isn't like they are expecting to be competitive next season...

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I wasn't impressed with Vesey, tbh. Would rather see Motte in the 3lw if he wasn't so damn good at being a 4th liner. Even Highmore plays the right way for a 3rd line role.

Wouldn't Buffalo potentially rather take Loui? The real cash is in their favor and they couldn't care less about the extra cap. And it isn't like they are expecting to be competitive next season...

Excellent points.   Good points about Loui’s real dollars (would only be 4 million in real dollars owed)

Would be such massive highway robbery on our parts if we could somehow con Buffalo into taking Eriksson and our 1st for Reinhart, lol.

Realistically though, I think we’d be looking at giving a 9th OA + a top prospect (Rathbone, ?Hoglander, or Podkzolin) If ?Buffalo was to take on one of our cap dumps AND give us Reinhart.   Personally, as much as I’d dislike it, I’d probably bite the bullet and add Rathbone.....and pray that Juolevi pans out.

53 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Real cash for Eriksson next season = $4m

Real cash for Roussel = $1.9m

So much less actual cost for Roussel. Plus Roussel can actually play on the BUF roster and contribute more than the little things...

1 hour ago, Patel Bure said:

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Hoglander

Vesey-Reinhart-Podkolzin

Motte-Beagle-MacEwen (Highmore)

Is a really good top 9 but I can’t see Buffalo agreeing to that deal.  

To Canucks:  Reinhart

To Sabres:  9OA + Rathbone + Roussel

*might* get it done.

-Buyout Virtanen

-Walk from Edler, Sutter, Baertschi + Eriksson to the minors. 
-walk from Hamonic + sign Larssson.

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Hoglander

Vesey-Reinhart-Podkolzin

Motte-Beagle-MacEwen

Hughes-Larsson

Rathbone-Schmidt 

Juolevi-Myers

Demko

Holtby

You traded Rathbone and then still have him on your second pairing. Would need to find a replacement LD I guess?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Where's Wellwood said:

If the deal hinges on a guy being available at 33rd, how can we trade the 9th overall?

We'd have picked at 9 already before knowing that he's still there at 33rd.

I was wondering the same thing. It only works if Buffalo is fine with who we pick at #9 

Just now, c00kies said:

I was wondering the same thing. It only works if Buffalo is fine with who we pick at #9 

Yeah or its a deal done anytime before the draft such as #9oa + Rousell + Rathbone for Reinhart's rights

...any other R's we can include?...