The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Post your two year Canuck plan - how would YOU do things?

I’ve posted my two year plan in some other threads but am interested in seeing your plan as well, just to see how my plan differs from yours.  

Here is more or less what I’d try and do if I was Benning:

1) Draft Dylan Guenther (http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/).  According to this site, Guenther might be around our range and so I think we’d have a shot at knabbing him.

2) Buyout Virtanen or let mother legal nature take its course.  So, either 2.5 or 2.55 million off the books.

3) Bye to Edler, Sutter, Baertschi, and Hamonic.

4) Sign Adam Larsson

5) Sign Mikael Granlund

6) Use a 2nd rounder as a sweetener to move one of Beagle or Roussel + use a 3rd and a minor prospect to move one of Beagle or Roussel.  In return, we get two 7th rounders (I’m going to assume two things here - A) Beagle will not be LTIR’d + B-) Eriksson is unmovable barring a ridiculous sweetener.....which is something that I’d not be willing to use)

7) Petey and Hughes signed to bridge deals so that all of the above can take place

8) Bring back Oscar Fantenberg for one year

2021-2022 (projection = 8th seeded playoff team + 1st round loss).

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Hoglander

Eriksson-Granlund-Podkolzin

Motte-Lind-Highmore 

MacEwen

Hughes-Larsson

Rathbone-Schmidt (if Rathbone isn’t ready, move Myers up to play with NS; NS moves to LD)

Juolevi-Myers (or Rathbone and Fantenberg if Rathbone isn’t ready for 2nd pairing duty)

Fantenberg (or Juolevi)

Demko

Holtby

Summer of 2022 off-season

-Bye to Eriksson

-Bye to Holtby; replaced by Dipietro

-Luongo cap penalty = off the books

-Guenther enters the line-up

-Canucks sign Hampus Lindholm

2022-2023 roster (projection - 2nd round team and possibly beyond).

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Hoglander-Horvat-Guenther

Pearson-Granlund-Podkolzin

Motte-Lind-Highmore

MacEwen

Lindholm-Schmidt

Hughes-Larsson

Rathbone-Myers

Juolevi (possible OJ trade for help or a back up goalie if Dipietro isn’t ready)

Demko

Dipietro

Edited by Patel Bure
  • Like 1
  • Hydration 1

1. Trade 9th pick, Kole Lind & Jonah Gadovich for Sam Reinhart

2. Let Edler, Sutter and Baertschi go

3. Buyout Erikkson, Roussel and Virtanen

4. Trade Olli Juolevi, 2022 2nd Round Pick for Matt Dumba

5. Sign David Savard

6. Sign Travis Hamonic and Mike Reilly for depth

7. Trade 2021 3rd Round pick and Linus Karlsson for rights to Andrew Copp

7. Let Seattle take Holtby

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Reinhart

Hoglander-Copp-Podkolzin

Motte-Beagle-Highmore

Schmidt-Dumba

Hughes-Savard

Rathbone-Myers

Reilly-Hamonic

Demko

Dipietro

We can all dream...

• Hydration 1

I won't post a step by step as I'm not very familiar with this year's draft or the ins and outs of the cap. I'll just post some things I'd like to see happen instead. 

I like the idea of signing Granlund, as long as we can get him for cheap. Swiss army knife of a player that can still put up some points. 

I think Larsson should be our target on the blueline. Not an overly offensive minded player, but we have Hughes and Rathbone for that. Myers has a pretty decent season offensively as well. Point is that Larsson fills a team need pretty well.

I'd like to move on from Schmidt as well. He's certainly a better player than he showed this last season, but I don't think he's the right fit for this roster. His cap hit isn't pretty either. Ideally, and this is assuming we were able to sign Larsson, I'd like to try and move him for either a center or left winger, depending on where we'd be playing Granlund. 

Depending on their team need and cap situation, I wouldn't mind taking a swing at Kerfoot. I think that's a more realistic option than trading our first for Reinhart and playing him on our third line. Having a couple of players in Granlund and Kerfoot that can slot up the middle if need be could come in clutch when the inevitable injury bug hits as well.

Resign Hamonic. Resign Sutter (assuming he was willing to sign a team friendly, short term deal, cut Edler loose.  

I'd be thrilled if Seattle took Holtby, but realistically I see them taking Gadge or Lind.

At the end of it all we have a lineup that looks something like this. 

Petey Miller Boeser

Pearson Horvat Hoglander

Granlund Kerfoot Podkolzin

Motte Sutter Lind/Highmore

Hughes Larsson

Rathbone Hamonic

Juolevi Myers 

Demko 

Holtby

Or some other combination of that. Again, I don't know or care to know the ins and outs of our cap situation, so feel free to poke holes through this.

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot
  • Hydration 1

I think they need to have a good talk with Loui and see what his intentions are. They need to make it clear that he isn't playing on the Canucks. He is owed 1M as a bonus and 3M in salary this year. If he wants to play I think the Canucks explore a trade to a Buffalo or LA to take him for a year. At this point, it may cost us a mediocre prospect and a 3rd. LE raises the cap floor of a team while earning half the salary.

Other than that, stay the course. Draft a good player at 9 or trade it for Reinhart (maybe including LE) or trade it for a young RHD. This is likely to be the last time we have a decently high pick so that needs to be considered.

• Hydration 1

I think we should snag another Dylan....McIlrath.   6'5" 235 lbs

Would come cheap, too.

He had an injury (knee) that impacted his progress for a while but he's a big, tough body and he'd be a good deterrent type.

• Hydration 2
6 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

I’ve posted my two year plan in some other threads but am interested in seeing your plan as well, just to see how my plan differs from yours.  

Here is more or less what I’d try and do if I was Benning:

1) Draft Dylan Guenther (http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/).  According to this site, Guenther might be around our range and so I think we’d have a shot at knabbing him.

2) Buyout Virtanen or let mother legal nature take its course.  So, either 2.5 or 2.55 million off the books.

3) Bye to Edler, Sutter, Baertschi, and Hamonic.

4) Sign Adam Larsson

5) Sign Mikael Granlund

6) Use a 2nd rounder as a sweetener to move one of Beagle or Roussel + use a 3rd and a minor prospect to move one of Beagle or Roussel.  In return, we get two 7th rounders (I’m going to assume two things here - A) Beagle will not be LTIR’d + B-) Eriksson is unmovable barring a ridiculous sweetener.....which is something that I’d not be willing to use)

7) Petey and Hughes signed to bridge deals so that all of the above can take place

8) Bring back Oscar Fantenberg for one year

2021-2022 (projection = 8th seeded playoff team + 1st round loss).

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Hoglander

Eriksson-Granlund-Podkolzin

Motte-Lind-Highmore 

MacEwen

Hughes-Larsson

Rathbone-Schmidt (if Rathbone isn’t ready, move Myers up to play with NS; NS moves to LD)

Juolevi-Myers (or Rathbone and Fantenberg if Rathbone isn’t ready for 2nd pairing duty)

Fantenberg (or Juolevi)

Demko

Holtby

Summer of 2022 off-season

-Bye to Eriksson

-Buy to Holtby; replaced by Dipietro

-Luongo cap penalty = off the books

-Guenther enters the line-up

-Canucks sign Hampus Lindholm

2022-2023 roster (projection - 2nd round team and possibly beyond).

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Hoglander-Horvat-Guenther

Pearson-Granlund-Podkolzin

Motte-Lind-Highmore

MacEwen

Lindholm-Schmidt

Hughes-Larsson

Rathbone-Myers

Juolevi (possible OJ trade for help or a back up goalie if Dipietro isn’t ready)

Demko

Dipietro

a change I'd make in year 1 of this is put Loui in Abby and use the 1 mil to bring in an actual 4th line C. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Hydration 1

Year 1:

1. Use our 9th for McTavish. If he's gone, look at possibly moving down to shed salary and collect an extra second, but if not go BPA with who's left. See if we can move Lind for a 2nd.

2. Loui in Abby. Let him sit in #1 traffic for a year. Lets not prolong this with a buyout.

3. Buy out Jake, his is the only one that makes real sense.

4. Bridge for Petey, long term with Hughes if he's willing to go under 7 AAV. Otherwise bridge for both. 

5. Target the best bottom 6 C UFA we can with the cap remaining. 

6. Hamonic 2.5 x 2. Edler 2 mil 1 year. 

I'd keep year 1 pretty simple, run with who we have for the most part. I've seen a lot of trade suggestions but they all require cap clearing, which is something I'm less and less convinced Jim can pull off, so lets keep things simple and keep building from the draft.

Year 2:

1. Depends on how year 1 went. We can really go after high end UFAs or keep building from within, but we'd have a lot of cap space and flexibility for many options. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Thanks 2
  • Hydration 1

1.  Sign EP/Huggy.  I'll let JB/JP figure out the details.

2.  Sign 2 of either Edler/Hamonic/Forbort/Oleksiak/Hakanpaa (value depth defence vs. high priced UFA signing like Savard)

3.  Keep the 9OA pick and take either a defenceman or a natural center.

4.  If someone offers us a one-in-a-lifetime deal on a premier young player then trade 9OA.

5.  Let Loui wither away in Abbotsford.

6.  Let the legal situation run its course with Virt - then make decision based on that outcome.

7.  PLAY the young kids.  Lind, Gajo, MDP, OJ, ect....these kids need to PLAY.  They need to be put into situations they can be successful in, and they need to be able to make mistakes without fear of being punished.   Imagine if OJ had the kind of preferential deployment that Hogs had throughout the season - where would his development be now? 

8.  Don't sweat the expansion draft - is ANYONE missing Sbisa now?  What's gonna happen is gonna happen.

9  Explore the UFA/trade market.  As JB has indicated he's always looking to improve when he can and he has a detailed understanding of every teams depth chart.

10. Don't make any dumb trades - just refer to the trade proposal forum on CDC and pick any random thread including this team and you'll see what I'm talking about.

• Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1

i'ld resign hamonic to a 2 year deal. eventually replaced by woo or whoever. play him with hughes

let edler walk or resign him for 1 year at 2 mil. play him on 3rd pairing and on the pk.

find away to move on from jake, roussel, eriksson this year and beagle and holtby. next year.

as much as i like sutter, i'ld let hom walk with vesey.

we have to have enough lighter contracts like motte, highmore, lind, rathbone, graovac and dipietro to balance out the big contracts to come.

i'ld have; petey and boeser on one line, horvat and pearson on a line; miller, podkolzin on a line; mptte and highmore on the 4th line. hoglander could play on any of the 3 scoring lines.

needs are a lw'er, a rw'er and a 4th line center.if any of those positions can be filled by players we have good, if not, maybe bring in a  gritty, fast winger for petey's line, a scoring rw'er for bo's line, maybe hoglander, maybe someone like motte for miller's line.

i kind of like graovac for the 4th line.  will lind, gadjjovich or lockwood be close to graduating?

my defence would be hughes and hamonic; schmidt and rathbone; and myers with a gritty stay at home defenseman, like edler in his prime.

• Hydration 1

What I would do is field a half-competitive team next year. Sign Hamonic to a two year deal if it's less than 2 mil. Keep the players that make sense at their cap-hit and term. 

Wait out this season and the bad deals to come to an end. Do not commit to long-term deals unless they are below market value or core pieces that are releveant in the next 4 years.

Watch the team progress next season and watch your young players develop. Make new evaluations after next season. Have a bunch of cap-space in next years off-season and the flexibility to build a competitive team for the next 5 years after this season.

Basically have the mindset of next year being a progression year for our young players and focus entirely on the long-term. 

Don't do much of anything at all this off-season. Basically sit still and watch the dominos fall where they fall. Abuse situations that make sense. Be savy.

I'm not.. drunk.. at all. But yea, just remain calm and look ahead. 

Edited by DeltaSwede
  • Hydration 2

2 Year Plan for The Canucks

Year 1:  Win the Stanley Cup

Year 2:  Win the Stanley Cup

Any questions?  

:towel:

2021-2022 Season after the Expansion Draft

1. Encourage Eriksson to retire after paying out his 2021-22 signing bonus, sign as scout in the SHL to work under Gradin

2. Trade Schmidt, Virtanen and a 2023-2nd to Ottawa for Nick Paul, Ottawa's 2021-2nd and San Jose's 2021-2nd

3. Trade Michael DiPietro to San Jose for Martin Jones 50% retained and 2022-2nd, 2021-3rd and swap of 2021-1sts

4. Trade 2022-1st (top 16 protected) for Sam  Reinhart (same deal as JT Miller's)

5. Trade Antoine Roussel 50% retained to Montreal for 2021-4th 

6. Trade San Jose's 2021-1st and Ottawa's 2021-2nd to New Jersey for New Jersey's 2021-1st

7. Buyout Holty ($500,000 -1st yr, $1,900,000-2nd year)

8. Sign Jani Hakanpaa to 3 year@ $1,500,0000 per

9. Sign Travis Hamonic to 3 years @ $2,250,000 per

10. Sign Alex Edler to 3 years @ $1,250,000 per

2021-2022 Line-up

Miller  ($5,250,000)           Pettersson  ( $7,000,000)         Boeser  ($5,750,000)

Pearson ($3,750,000)          Horvat  ($5,500,000)              Hoglander  ($891,000)

Paul ($1,350,000)                Reinhart ($5,750,000)            Podkolzin  ($925,000)

Motte  ($1,125,000)              McEwen ($825,000)              Lind ($925,000)

Highmore ($725,000)           Hawryluk ($800,000)..................................................................................................Total $37,691,000

Hughes  ($6,250,000)         Hamonic  ($2,250,000)

Rathbone  ($925,000)         Myers  ($6,000,000)

Juolevi  ($863,333)             Hakanpaa  ($1,500,000)

Edler (1,250,000).....................................................................................................................................................Total $19,038,333

Demko  ($5,000,000)

Jones  (2,875,000)...................................................................................................................................................Total  $7,875,000

Total Playing Cap.........................$64,604,333

Buyouts.............................................$500,000

Retentions......................................$1,500,000

Luongo Penalty..............................$3,035,212

LTIR (Beagle and Ferland)

Total Cap $69,639,545

Year 1, will be to shore up the forwards and Offense, as this is year 1, special attention was taken to maintain cap flex-ability. If however, a 1 year cap deal shows up, the Canucks will take it on the principles that it is in fact, an asset recovery. (Meaning we will ask for picks back in payment for any Cap favors)

It should also be noted, that all efforts will be made to draft RHD Brandt Clarke, and other 2nd round RHD's , and a Goalie. It should be noted that as RHD is the weakest position in our prospects chain, we will be focusing on refilling them this year.

2022-2023 Season at the Draft and UFA Seasons (July 1st?)

The forward ranks will stay much the same, with maybe a small tweak, here or there. Focus will now be made towards obtaining a #1/#2 veteran RHD in the UFA market.

The 2022-2023 cap will start with $4,535,000-$1,900,000 Holtby 2nd year buyout= $2,635,000 extra to cap

Total cap before signings $69,639,545 - $2,635,000 = $67,004, 545

Total Cap to use in Free Agency $81,500,000-$67,004,545= Cap for Free agency ...............$14,495,455

Seth Jones................$8,250,000 for 7 years

2022-2023 Lineup

Miller  ($5,250,000)           Pettersson  ( $7,000,000)         Boeser  ($5,750,000)

Pearson ($3,750,000)          Horvat  ($5,500,000)              Hoglander  ($891,000)

Paul ($1,350,000)                Reinhart ($5,750,000)            Podkolzin  ($925,000)

Motte  ($1,125,000)              McEwen ($825,000)              Lind ($925,000)

Highmore ($725,000)           Hawryluk ($800,000)..................................................................................................Total $37,691,000

Hughes  ($6,250,000)         Hamonic  ($2,250,000)

Rathbone  ($925,000)         Jones  ($8,250,000)

Juolevi  ($863,333)             Myers  ($6,000,000)

Edler (1,250,000)................Hakanpaa ($1,500,000)..............................................................................................Total $27,288,333

Demko  ($5,000,000)

Jones  (2,875,000)...................................................................................................................................................Total  $7,875,000

Now, this line up is set going into the 2023-2024 Season, and there will have to be some adjustments, but Cap should be going up by the 2023-2023 Season, and Clarke should be ready to come in and play serious minutes. Our Cap with Jones is $72,854,333 and some contracts like Boeser, Horvat and Miller will eat up a large part of any cap savings, so much of any spare cap will have to be managed carefully.

And yes, this is what I do during my morning coffee.......................

• Hydration 1
38 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Sign all the free agents.

Trade away all the redundant players to clueless GMs for a kings ransom

Draft only the best players

Parks And Recreation Wow GIF by PeacockTV

• Haha 1

2 year plan:

- Zero Buyouts occur, need all the cap possible for july 1 2022 in my opinion. Hate the lingering small cap hits for longer term

- Try to get Seattle to take a player with a big contract (Myers, Holtby, LE-after 1m SB and with an incentive)

- Contact every team and see if they have any players they are willing to move prior to expansion. Players who won't be protect and they will lose for free

- Play hardball with RFA Hughes, he is a disaster in his own end and has no arb rights! He needs a good reliable D partner to help him, offer him Sergachev contract

- Try to sign EP40 to a longer term deal compared QH being the guy that might get the longer contract as per their agent JP Barry. 6-8yrs 7-8.5m cap hit

- Trade Roussel to a team that will take him full cap hit or will retain salary and flip him to another team to gain a mid round pick/prospect

- Trade Luongo's recapture to Ottawa/Detroit for a mid round pick. Teams have traded retired or so call medically retired players before, now its our time!

- Improve the D, get QH a solid defense first type of RHD who is in his 20s signed to a reasonable term

- If not selected by the Kraken, look to move Holtby at some point this off season...how bout to them Laffs!? for Kerfoot?

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Sign all the free agents.

Trade away all the redundant players to clueless GMs for a kings ransom

Draft only the best players

Does anyone know if Mad Mike Milbury is planning on coming out of retirement????

We could probably get a 1st for Loui if he does...

• Haha 2
9 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Does anyone know if Mad Mike Milbury is planning on coming out of retirement????

We could probably get a 1st for Loui if he does...

Think you found him on this forum actually!

• Haha 2