The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Holtby (Van) - Kerfoot (Tor)

5 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

I would think you would move Kerfoot to the wing and keep Miller as your 3rd centre.  EP needs to stay fresh and play the pp and offensive minutes.  Horvat and Miller as your 2a and 2b centers would make us a pretty strong team up the middle.

Just an opinion; but feel Miller on the third line is a bit of, no actually a large waste.

Yes he can play C.  

Does not mean its the best way to deploy our team.

Kerfoot is a viable suggestion.  

Not sure Toronto wants Holtby.

Or Holtby wants Toronto...

Don't see Toronto being interested.

Toronto have one of the largest analytical department.  They have been using analytics well before it became widespread.   They used it to identify Andersen as a trade target years ago.

Ahead of free agency Woodley last off-season was warning against Holtby using the numbers of CSA.  He was playing in a poor defensive environment but was not performing beyond it.  Toronto uses CSA for their tracking.    They would know that Holtby has been struggling the past few seasons.  

Clark is also making adjustments to his game.  It often takes repetition for a goalie to feel comfortable.  It's apparently not a position where you can easily go from one coach or system to the next.  I don't see teams having interest as they won't have Clark for continuity.  Things kind of fell apart for Markstrom in Calgary despite performing well above his environment in Vancouver.

It might even pay off for Vancouver to hold on to him as he's now been under Clark for a season.  Benning felt confident that Clark could adjust his game and even backloaded the deal to apparently discourage Seattle from selecting him.

On 6/16/2021 at 11:09 AM, Canuckster86 said:

TO needs a 1b G, Canucks need a #3c option.

Canucks trade Holtby 4.3m to the Laffs for BC boy Kerfoot and his 3.5m cap hit.

Canucks can retain some salary to cover the cap difference. Laffs can use Spezza/Jumbo Joe or some other onTerrible born NHL player who wants to come in on a league minimum 1yr deal

You are forgetting why Holtby is here.

He meets our requirement of exposing a goalie in the expansion draft, and Seattle will most likely take him because he's the best overall player that we are exposing.

Without Holtby here, I believe that we would be required to expose Demko!!!

• Thanks 1

Max (50%) cap would definitely have to be retained on the Canucks' side for Toronto to be interested, and it would have to happen post-expansion if Seattle does not claim or become incentivized to claim Kerfoot.

I like the deal if it could be worked out though. Not sure Mikey is ready for back-up duties so Benning might have to go out and sign another G which would cost cap too.

Maybe it's just me but I keep thinking that Edmonton would be a great for Holtby. 

Despite Holly's struggles he is still arguably better than the Oil's current personal at G.

I would consider letting him go for a late pick or the Turris contract to take Holtby off the books. 

Still need another short term backup though. 

In regards to the op.... I don't really see Holtby as a solid trading chip at this point. The Canucks are at a point of weakness with his recent play and contract so it is impossible to expect any kind of reasonable asset in return for him other than to dump his contract on another team.

Edited by GarthButcher5

7 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

Maybe it's just me but I keep thinking that Edmonton would be a great for Holtby. 

Despite Holly's struggles he is still arguably better than the Oil's current personal at G.

I would consider letting him go for a late pick or the Turris contract to take Holtby off the books. 

Still need another short term backup though. 

In regards to the op.... I don't really see Holtby as a solid trading chip at this point. The Canucks are at a point of weakness with his recent play and contract so it is impossible to expect any kind of reasonable asset in return for him other than to dump his contract on another team.

Think the Coilers still have a 4+ million cap hit goalie on their books for next season.  Why would they want over 8 million in mediocre goalies on their roster?  As badly constructed they are for the postseason, you aren’t going to be making the playoffs with Red Light Holtby and Kiskinen as your tandem imho.

On 6/16/2021 at 2:09 PM, Canuckster86 said:

TO needs a 1b G, Canucks need a #3c option.

Canucks trade Holtby 4.3m to the Laffs for BC boy Kerfoot and his 3.5m cap hit.

Canucks can retain some salary to cover the cap difference. Laffs can use Spezza/Jumbo Joe or some other onTerrible born NHL player who wants to come in on a league minimum 1yr deal

There only one beegee left anyways…

On 6/16/2021 at 8:10 PM, Patel Bure said:

My only concern in moving Holtby is that 

1) Dipietro might not be ready (he likely isn’t right now)

2) Finding a good back up would cost almost as much as Holtby anyways.

3) A “cheap” back up likely won’t do much in the way of alleviating Demko.

I’m in the camp of “let’s keep Holtby for one more year.”

Since when do backups cost $4+ MIL?

On 6/16/2021 at 5:56 PM, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I wouldn't say that.  But for what he makes & his cap hit, oy vey what an awful signing.  Only good thing about contract was that it's only two years long.

And ED protection for Demko.  Need to dangle one goalie under contract still. 

On 6/19/2021 at 3:48 AM, VegasCanuck said:

You are forgetting why Holtby is here.

He meets our requirement of exposing a goalie in the expansion draft, and Seattle will most likely take him because he's the best overall player that we are exposing.

Without Holtby here, I believe that we would be required to expose Demko!!!

Ahh  now there it is someone else understands why Holtby is here.   THN has the Kraken taking him still.    Most likely Allen will be there starter and they will have 15-20 million left over even with both these guys on their roster models suggest.    Like us they will use him, and likely retain and flip at the TDL.   Or if he's playing well keep him for their own first playoff run. 

• Hydration 1

19 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Think the Coilers still have a 4+ million cap hit goalie on their books for next season.  Why would they want over 8 million in mediocre goalies on their roster?  As badly constructed they are for the postseason, you aren’t going to be making the playoffs with Red Light Holtby and Kiskinen as your tandem imho.

That's not the net differnece though is it? Bad contracts moving both ways

25 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

That's not the net differnece though is it? Bad contracts moving both ways

But why would they make a move like that though if their goalie situation remains the same?  Especially since Turris' cap hit is less than Holtby's. 

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

On 6/16/2021 at 11:43 PM, canucklehead44 said:

Holtby is one of the worst goalies in the league. Kerfoot outscored Pearson playing in the Leafs bottom six during the regular season and 6 points in 7 playoff games moved up into the top 6. Not a great value player at his salary but still a useful roster player. 

If we were to move Holty at 50% retained plus a pick for Kerfoot would that be useful? Probably not. Kerfoot is an upgrade in our top 6 but still expensive, we would still need to replace Holtby PLUS likely losing a pick isn't great either. 

As bad as Holtby is it isn't like we have a backup knocking on the door. It makes sense to have a vet like him backup Demko, its just Benning was stupid and paid 4.3 instead of 1.3 for a below average veteran backup. 

I love your direct language and the way you express your opinion on this trade proposal. I totally agree with you that Holtby is one of the worst goalies in this league. Another bad signing by Jim.

The Laffs aren't stupid they know exactly how bad Holtby is. Hence I assume that they would not be interested in this kind of deal. They want to win and you can't win with a backup goalie like Holtby.

I suspect that even the Seattle Kraken are smart enough not to take Holtby in the expansion draft. Most likely we have to enjoy another season with Holtby as back-up goalie. This is going to be very painful and cost the Canucks lots of points.