The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Maple Leafs re-sign Jason Spezza

2 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Wish Edler would consider doing something like this.

Edler is about the same age now as Spezza was when he signed that first (2019-20) 35+ contract at 700K with the Leafs.

Would love to see us doing a series of league minimum one year deals with Edler, for as long as he wants to play.

(Not that I’d blame Edler or his agent for trying to get something closer to his actual worth, just would be nice to have a similar level bargain deal, for Edler, as what the Leafs have managed with Spezza.)

I'm expecting something in the 2-2.5M range, with full NMC.  Still a good discount.

5 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Wish Edler would consider doing something like this.

Edler is about the same age now as Spezza was when he signed that first (2019-20) 35+ contract at 700K with the Leafs.

Would love to see us doing a series of league minimum one year deals with Edler, for as long as he wants to play.

(Not that I’d blame Edler or his agent for trying to get something closer to his actual worth, just would be nice to have a similar level bargain deal, for Edler, as what the Leafs have managed with Spezza.)

Difficult returning to a locker room, where you were the top dog (and paid like it) and taking a lot less of a role and money.  Spezza went to a new room last season.  Edler could do this with us, but I highly doubt it.  He's way more likely to take that kind of deal on a new team, where he is not established as the guy.  

21 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Difficult returning to a locker room, where you were the top dog (and paid like it) and taking a lot less of a role and money.  Spezza went to a new room last season.  Edler could do this with us, but I highly doubt it.  He's way more likely to take that kind of deal on a new team, where he is not established as the guy.  

Edler is an old dog and he is no longer the guy on our D, so we should offer him no more than 1m. Other veterans sign for league minimum why can't Edler sign for 1m, did he hangout with Kassian, O'Brien, Virtanen etc throughout his career and burn through the 55m he has made already.

Sorry but Edler has made 55m, he has tons of cash, if you want to stay you sign for 1m or less and that is it, oh and no NMC or full NTC either

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Canuckster86 said:

Edler is an old dog and he is no longer the guy on our D, so we should offer him no more than 1m. Other veterans sign for league minimum why can't Edler sign for 1m, did he hangout with Kassian, O'Brien, Virtanen etc throughout his career and burn through the 55m he has made already.

Sorry but Edler has made 55m, he has tons of cash, if you want to stay you sign for 1m or less and that is it, oh and no NMC or full NTC either

I completely agree that Edler's value is a lot less than what he was paid this past contract.  I'm saying Edler, like almost every player, is super competitive, and will find it difficult to return to a room where he was being paid like 'the guy'.  It would be far more likely he takes a deal like that on a new team.  

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I completely agree that Edler's value is a lot less than what he was paid this past contract.  I'm saying Edler, like almost every player, is super competitive, and will find it difficult to return to a room where he was being paid like 'the guy'.  It would be far more likely he takes a deal like that on a new team.  

Maybe, but if he doesn't want to move his family or play away from them then he can stay on the cheap. It also allows him to be that veteran player that younger guys can talk to, he is very soft spoken to me and I would never put a C on the guy but he likely is well respected by everyone in that dressing room AND that is what should matter most not his cap hit...If they looked down on him he can open up his bank account on his phone, cheque his balance and have a good chuckle...the guy is set for life and then some!! He is playing cause he loves the game

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

He did pretty well in the playoffs for Toronto. I'm surprised he signed for so little. I guess when you state publicly that you'll retire if you don't stay with your preferred team, you lose a lot of bargaining leverage. 

pretty nice way to earn 750,000. I don't think he cares at all about the money. just having fun. 

Loui should go do this for Dallas next season. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, gurn said:

Canucks should have claimed him last year. If he retired, so be it. He could have helped us, and not helped them.

Might have made a difference in the standings.

These good old Ontario boys are starting a scary precedent for the rest of the league.   Don't see them flocking to Vegas, NYI, COL, CAR, BOS, or TB...did see one go to MTL but it was Perry's only choice.   Spezza is idolized and loved in TO's locker room, can see why he says it's either there or nowhere else, it's not VAN or any other teams fault that we don't have a pipeline like that, just the few BC boys around i suppose, maybe E Kane will want to come here or Lucic lol