The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Maple Leafs re-sign Jason Spezza

1 hour ago, BabychStache said:

Here’s a fun mental exercise.

Loui 6m - 1 yr

for 

Jamie Benn 9.5M - 5 yrs

No, but I would take Lucic for an extra year and save a little this year, and get a guy who can score 10 goals and 10 assists and add some toughness for two seasons. 

Of course the better solution is just have Loui retire and that ain't happening either. 

I sure hope we don't offer Edler a contract over 1.1 million... Time to move from Edler if he doesn't accept a big discount...

1 yr X 1.1 million..

Resign -  Hamonic 2 yrs X 2.1

Trade -- Graves style D man 6'5, 28, 220lbs....

Trade - Scmidt -- We have Hughes, Rathbone is going to be very good soon.. Time to move Scmidt..

10 hours ago, gurn said:

Canucks should have claimed him last year. If he retired, so be it. He could have helped us, and not helped them.

Might have made a difference in the standings.

Good signing for the Leafs. Good for Spezza. That said if they try to put him on waivers again I’d claim him so fast and if he wants to retire, go ahead. No more of this free waiver transaction bullshizz for the Leafs. Nobody rides for free.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, 4petesake said:

Good signing for the Leafs. Good for Spezza. That said if they try to put him on waivers again I’d claim him so fast and if he wants to retire, go ahead. No more of this free waiver transaction bullshizz for the Leafs. Nobody rides for free.

JB just selected the wrong Laff waiver wire players...call a players buff if he says don't claim me or I will retire, you can't do that $&!# or if you do then go retire you whiney baby. Spezza ain't winning $&!# with the Laffs so it doesn't matter!

40 minutes ago, sassbs said:

He’s a reasonable guy.   Not greedy like the other privileged dipsh!!ts on that team.

Plus I’m sure he must realize that even at $750k he’s still making more than any high profile doctor would. 

Plus, with nearly $90M in career earnings, he probably doesn’t “need” the money at this point, if he’s been even minimally intelligent about how he spends and invests (not a guarantee with NHLers, but I’d hope Spezza is already “set for life”).

This deal is simply obscene to me.... he's 38 and produced 30 pts out of 54 games.. in the old pre-Covid NHL.... he's worth $4M at least despite his age!! For us, we are always struggling to make the playoffs... these awesome veterans will never land on our lap.... unless it's someone with some health question mark like.... Ferland!!! *deep sigh*....

12 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

This deal is simply obscene to me.... he's 38 and produced 30 pts out of 54 games.. in the old pre-Covid NHL.... he's worth $4M at least despite his age!! For us, we are always struggling to make the playoffs... these awesome veterans will never land on our lap.... unless it's someone with some health question mark like.... Ferland!!! *deep sigh*....

if edler would do that in order to have a chance at winning the stanley cup... heck bring the sedins back at 1m per play on the 3rd line that would give us better chance in my books.. 

Spezza = $750k for 10 goals 
Eriksson + Baertschi + Roussel + Beagle + Edler + Myers = $27M for a combined 8 goals :bigblush:
What is even worse is that we have a bunch more poor performing contracts (Sutter, Holtby, Virtanen)

Edited by canucklehead44
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

Spezza = $750k for 10 goals 
Eriksson + Baertschi + Roussel + Beagle + Edler + Myers = $27M for a combined 8 goals :bigblush:
What is even worse is that we have a bunch more poor performing contracts (Sutter, Holtby, Virtanen)

not only poor performing contracts but also players that can't contribute on the ice like Ferland... which makes the whole situation even more devastating. Jim and his team they outperform at least 90% of their counterparts around the league.  He's a hell of a GM.

On 6/17/2021 at 3:55 AM, MystifyNCrucify said:

The leafs model for signing their bottom six. 

leafs model is superior to the canucks model because their bottom six is not only way better than canucks bottom six but also way cheaper AND they made the playoffs with this model. I think you should give their model the credit it deserves. Thank you.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

leafs model is superior to the canucks model because their bottom six is not only way better than canucks bottom six but also way cheaper AND they made the playoffs with this model. I think you should give their model the credit it deserves. Thank you.

Sorry i guess its a touchy subject. I suppose when they you spend so much on playoff no show players, you have to do things like this. 

How far did the leafs make it this year? Surely their superior model got them past the first round. 

:emot-parrot:

I mean after all the leafs have almost won the cup every year since they signed Tavares. Thats what i keep hearing anyway. 

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Canucks have two series wins during the Benning era.  Leafs have none under the Shanaplan.