The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Hamonic willing to play outside western canada

Just now, ItsMillerTime said:

I really hope he signs. He was the most reliable D most the season. 

Started out rough but most did.   To me it was Myers.   Should have won the Pratt but given it was fans voting it's not surprise Quin won despite his horrible stats.   Myers would have been plus 15 overall playing on the first PP unit.    QHs was sheltered, Edler and Myers took the toughest assignments. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2
  • RoughGame 1

14 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

People are ungrateful! And comment more than they watch hockey.

6'2'' RHD that can play 20 minutes a night. Up and down a line up. Kill penalties. On a shutdown pair. Or with a top offensive guy like Leddy Giordano Hughes do not grow on tree's.  Hamonic even drops the mitts...

Such a player is worth more than $2 mill.

I get loyalty.  But Hamonic is the guy I am more determined to keep than Edler. In part because we at least have other LHD.

His role is much harder to replace IMO.

This is all true.   But he's not worth much more.   Not in flat cap at his age.   There are others available to go after.  For sure he was worth more then what we paid him last season,  but it's a bad bad idea to re-sign him at 3 x 4 or 4 x 3 or something like that.   Remember Schenn?  Or even Benn.  Who also had a decent season.   We don't have to pay our 3 paring D's 3 million.   2-2.5 would work.   If it doesn't work with our cap structure move on.   Wouldn't call Hamonic year fantastic, but i would for sure re-sign him before Edler but only because of the age difference.   Hamonic still has good hockey left for sure.   But i'm also sure he's looking for a 3-4 year deal... would you bank on that?  

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

This is all true.   But he's not worth much more.   Not in flat cap at his age.   There are others available to go after.  For sure he was worth more then what we paid him last season,  but it's a bad bad idea to re-sign him at 3 x 4 or 4 x 3 or something like that.   Remember Schenn?  Or even Benn.  Who also had a decent season.   We don't have to pay our 3 paring D's 3 million.   2-2.5 would work.   If it doesn't work with our cap structure move on.   Wouldn't call Hamonic year fantastic, but i would for sure re-sign him before Edler but only because of the age difference.   Hamonic still has good hockey left for sure.   But i'm also sure he's looking for a 3-4 year deal... would you bank on that?  

Are saying that Hamonic isn't a top 4 d-man? On a Cup contender he probably isn't so I agree with your bottom pairing comment. I think the market will give him 3yr x $4 mil and he will continue to slot into a top 4 group. I admit I am not up to speed on UFA options. Hamonic walks JB has to land another RD. Maybe the market provides a upgrade on Hamonic. The speculation is almost as fun as the Cup playoffs!:shock:

• Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Are saying that Hamonic isn't a top 4 d-man? On a Cup contender he probably isn't so I agree with your bottom pairing comment. I think the market will give him 3yr x $4 mil and he will continue to slot into a top 4 group. I admit I am not up to speed on UFA options. Hamonic walks JB has to land another RD. Maybe the market provides a upgrade on Hamonic. The speculation is almost as fun as the Cup playoffs!:shock:

I don't really know either.   Just have to be careful with every single signing right now.   A 3 year deal is ok, two years ideal.   The best thing he's got going for him is a solid pedigree and he's a RHD.   I really hope he can re-sign him to a 2-3 year deal at around 2.5.   It wouldn't hurt us no matter what.  Even if we re-structured our RHD and he got bumped out to the 7th D it would be worth having him on the roster.   QHs getting paid is going to put us into a higher realm of D spending ... with virtually the same D.    Makes you wonder if it's worth the trouble doesn't it?   

Edited by IBatch

44 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

If the ask is 3 yr x 4 mil, no thanks. Let him walk. These are exactly the kind of contracts for "adequate" players that Benning must avoid at all costs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

If the ask is 3 yr x 4 mil, no thanks. Let him walk. These are exactly the kind of contracts for "adequate" players that Benning must avoid at all costs. 

Yup make your offer and if its not what hamonic wants he can leave. No more begging.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Yup make your offer and if its not what hamonic wants he can leave. No more begging.

If a UFA is being signed to any term and top 4 dollars, it should be someone better than Hamonic. 

Letting Edler and Hamonic walk and signing a guy like Larsson would be a better way to go.

Or re-sign Hamonic or a replacement level guy for 1 year at a cheap cap hit, roll with what we already have for a year, and go after a top pairing guy next offseason. 

The path to improvement for the Canucks this offseason should be far more about incremental improvement at key positions - depth D and bottom 6 guys on reasonable deals. Then swing for the fences with core supporting signings next offseason. Imho

• Like 1

Benning should not be in the hot seat to make huge moves right now. Aquilini trusted him enough to keep him. Dont push him into making panic moves to keep his job. Let him take a 2 offseason approach. Get the critical business with EP and Hughes sorted out, look for pre expansion trades for younger guys who can grow with the core, sign some 1year placeholder inprovements and maybe a high quality 3C if one can be had for a reasonable cost. Trade 1 year contract guys at the deadline if you arent in a clear playoff spot.

Next offseason should be all about having a ton of cap space and assets to use to open the competitive window. 

• Vintage 3

57 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

We might as well have kept Tanev right!?  If he offered Tanev a 4 x 2 year deal which he did and was turned down, can't see Hamonic getting anything better - and actually a little worse.   2.75-3.25 x 2 is the range i bet he's willing to go to.   Which would be absolutely fair given the player.   

Believe he should sign Hamonic and let Edler go.   BUT if Hamonic won't come back will likely turn around and go to Eagle.    

Edited by IBatch

41 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Benning should not be in the hot seat to make huge moves right now. Aquilini trusted him enough to keep him. Dont push him into making panic moves to keep his job. Let him take a 2 offseason approach. Get the critical business with EP and Hughes sorted out, look for pre expansion trades for younger guys who can grow with the core, sign some 1year placeholder inprovements and maybe a high quality 3C if one can be had for a reasonable cost. Trade 1 year contract guys at the deadline if you arent in a clear playoff spot.

Next offseason should be all about having a ton of cap space and assets to use to open the competitive window. 

Man look at us agreeing with each other like best pals.  Couldn't agree more.   The only thing i'd add to this is that next year should be used as a measuring stick.   I really hope we make the playoffs just to find out how the players are come post season that we have.   At the same time we are closing in on Horvat, BB and Miller's next deals.   All three are major chips on the market that could be used to plug holes.    Feel that next year is crucial in our cycle as far as commitment goes.   And that JB needs to become a trade master like Quin to put the finishing touches on the core.   In some ways he's got the chips right now. Reinhardt wants to come home to BC.   That's worth our 9th with a trade and sign with LE going the other way.   

Then hate to say this and might get flamed but will anyways, consider trading QHs to ARI for Chychrun or to FLD for Ekblad.    We do that and we are almost gauranteed to start our run of playoffs next season ... 

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Exactly.   JB had a plan for both Markstrom and Tanev last year, and contingencies if they didn't re-sign.    Offer Hamonic what is fair but works for the teams cap structure.   Doesn't want to play ball then go find another team.   Doubt he's going to get 3m anywhere.   Didn't Edler is too.   Both guys are looking at third paring vet dollars at this point.    

Freudian-slip? I like that you dropped the 'i' from this term. Better the verb, paring, as opposed to the noun, when discussing our pricey blueline-vets. How can we pare down them AAV's?!

Gotta be JB's biggest challenge now..fixing that D core. At least they seem to have brought in a reputable coach.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Man look at us agreeing with each other like best pals.  Couldn't agree more.   The only thing i'd add to this is that next year should be used as a measuring stick.   I really hope we make the playoffs just to find out how the players are come post season that we have.   At the same time we are closing in on Horvat, BB and Miller's next deals.   All three are major chips on the market that could be used to plug holes.    Feel that next year is crucial in our cycle as far as commitment goes.   And that JB needs to become a trade master like Quin to put the finishing touches on the core.   In some ways he's got the chips right now. Reinhardt wants to come home to BC.   That's worth our 9th with a trade and sign with LE going the other way.   

Then hate to say this and might get flamed but will anyways, consider trading QHs to ARI for Chychrun or to FLD for Ekblad.    We do that and we are almost gauranteed to start our run of playoffs next season ... 

If he can add a younger, quality core age player or two to the group this offseason, move out some cap, and incrementally improve on the bottom 6 and D depth, I would consider that a win for year 1.

Given that this is a team with important core players in 3 distinct age groups spanning a lot of years, the margin for error is pretty thin if competing with this core intact is the goal. The time might very well come that a decision on older vets or really young core players will need to be made.

I could see a scenario where the Canucks have to reset a little bit and move some guys like Miller, Horvat, Schmidt, etc. for younger core guys and other assets then focus around the current 21-22 y/o core group. EP, Hoglander, Hughes, Podkolzin, etc. Or trade for 25-27 y/o core guys using Hughes, picks, prospects, etc. to support the older core. 

There are a lot of holes to fill to be competitive. To go more all in this offseason, it will likely cost Benning assets or decreased trade returns to move out the cap necessary. Next summer he will have a lot of cap. So I know for me I would rather not see guys like Sutter, Edler, Hamonic, etc getting term deals at this point. Thats why I didnt like the Pearson signing. Good player but not a core guy and needs to be improved on to get more out of Horvat. Term right now should only be going to core guys and high level support players. Not "adequate" guys. Next summer should be the fill in stage.

If we can get a true 3C or, in the absence of that, a top 6 quality offensive winger to then use EP, Miller, and Horvat as centers, that will help a lot. I think a top physical dman that can play with Hughes is a must. But the only one I see who would be reasonable as a UFA is Larsson. And it would likely take too much to sign him.

2 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

That’s what I want. Just roll young and focus on developing our young players for these next 2 seasons. Bring in 1 year stop gaps to help with that. If we do better than expected then hooray. If not then trade the stop gaps. 

Likely see 1-2 more years of drafting high unless youth step up big which is never a negative. If we draft high that’s potentially a new younger core member. 

I would probably trade Miller during the 2nd year(2022-23). The assets he’d bring in would give us flexibility. 

My plan would be a 2 year approach. By the end of this developmental phase ur core would be 20-26 save for Horvat who’d be 28. After the 2 years we sign the right supporting cast for the young core we’d have. 

We potentially could be set up for long-term success at that point. I am talking 8+ years of successful hockey if we retool properly in the later stages of this core’s career. 

Just now, SergioMomesso said:

3 year deal at 2.75 per year would be good for us. Any longer or more expensive would hurt us when Rathbone and Podz need to be re-upped. 

Depends on how quickly Woo develops and who we draft at 9?  I’d prefer to keep Hamonic at two years.  

2 minutes ago, SergioMomesso said:

3 year deal at 2.75 per year would be good for us. Any longer or more expensive would hurt us when Rathbone and Podz need to be re-upped. 

A Year too long. I didnt find harmonic amazing actually when i think about it literally any of our d was very good. I guess everyone just wants the same re-sign harmonic and edler.