The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Hamonic willing to play outside western canada

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

I think what it comes down to, is that Hamonic makes a LOT of sense at under $2.5... maybe $3m, and likely 2 years, as a solid interim guy to play with Hughes, that we can also slide down the pairings if we manage a bigger fish next summer (Parayko? Risto? Etc). That cap hit/term is manageable to move down your roster.

More money than that and I'd prefer we target guys like Larsson (1st) or Savard. Otherwise we just look for a cheaper 3rd pair guy with some physicality and roll with Myers, Schmidt and that guy.

Even better if Benning can snag an ED exposure guy like Foote, Mayfield etc.

Look?

Everyone looks good better at below market value. But we cannot just target a Larsson or Savard. You would have to bid for them. Even then; I do not believe Savard is better than Hamonic. Even at the same price. By that same logic we have to attract Savard at $2.5. 

For my money, a somewhat redundant Schmidt being traded at $6 mill. Even for just the same 3rd we paid?  And certainly not paying Edler $5 mill or $6 mill again. Is better than Hamonic walking for zip. I'd also prefer signing Savard & Hamonic to Edler & either.   

Then yeah, an ED opportunity would be great.  We can hope for that. One or two teams will steal someone. Will it be us?     

6 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Look?

Everyone looks good better at below market value. But we cannot just target a Larsson or Savard. You would have to bid for them. Even then; I do not believe Savard is better than Hamonic. Even at the same price. By that same logic we have to attract Savard at $2.5. 

For my money, a somewhat redundant Schmidt being traded at $6 mill. Even for just the same 3rd we paid?  And certainly not paying Edler $5 mill or $6 mill again. Is better than Hamonic walking for zip. I'd also prefer signing Savard & Hamonic to Edler & either.   

Then yeah, an ED opportunity would be great.  We can hope for that. One or two teams will steal someone. Will it be us?     

I havent been impressed at all by savard this playoffs. I dont wanna give a him a contract at all. We need a player for a year on a cheap deal and sign one or 2 good dmen next offseason.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

They’ll always be good value late summer ufas  players ready to sign cheap deal. 

And the best kind 1 year below value.

Can’t waste anymore cap now or the near future for over priced 3 rd pair dmen or bottom six “ veterans” leaders ufas . 

focus on cheap late summer cap friendly ufas. 
just like hamonic last summer. 

• Upvote 1

The $11.95 mill we paid last year to Edler and Schmidt? 

Was a much bigger problem than potentially paying Hamonic 2 or 3 years at $3 or $4 mill.  

As is believing Chatfield can take over 2 knd pair minutes!!!    Jett Woo is also not ready, and Brogan Rafferty is UFA.  Schmidt a LHD.  

30 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Look?

I think Savard plays meaner, 'to hurt' more. He is older though... I'd pay a bit more for him but probably not tonnes either. 

And again, I didn't say Larsson or bust. If you can't get Hamonic at around $2.5 X 2, I'd rather spend more $ and term on Larsson or less $ and term on a TBD, 3rd pairing guy (Hakanpaa?). We have options. We're not Hamonic at a bargain, Larsson, or bust.

As for Edler, I like @Provost's idea of a 35+ bonus laden contract. $1.5 base +$ for games played etc, topping out around $2.5-$3 (the bonus portion of which can be carried over if need be). We could do a lot worse than Edler as our 6/7 D.

And yes... I'd be thrilled if we could upgrade a Mayfield/Foote (or Jenner/Paul.... ((Stenlund extension!)) ) as ED fodder for relative peanuts.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

If this is how our defense is sketched out for next season:

XXXX     Schmidt

Hughes  YYYY

Juolevi   Myers

(Rathbone)

Then I would be targeting these players through free agency or trade:

XXXX = Oleksiak, Hamilton*, Ristolainen*      (* = Schmidt moves to LD)

YYYY = Larsson, Mayfield, Hamonic, Jones, Savard

We may need to move Schmidt or Myers to afford a Hamilton or Jones (which might require Rathbone to move into the top 6 with Bowey as 7D).

Please no Edler - its time to move on with our younger guys.

3 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Essentially you are saying get rid of;

Hamonic

Edler

Myers

Schmidt.

Not happy with anyone.

Not at all. Saying none of those 3 rhd are ideal partners for Hughes, who they obviously need to build the D around.

With Schmidt and Myers both having term and high cap hits, giving Hamonic the same essentially locks in a defense that was one of the worst in the NHL and has been for multiple seasons. One of them needs to be replaced with a true top pairing RHD. Locking them all up makes it impossible to change things.

Edler I want to let go for 3 reasons. First, because if he is re-signed, one of Rathbone or Juolevi are sitting or getting traded. Second, because if he stays the temptation will be for Green and company to rely on him beyond what he is now capable of effectively handling. And third, because he represents one of the only ways to actually upgrade the D going forward.

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

I think Savard plays meaner, 'to hurt' more. He is older though... I'd pay a bit more for him but probably not tonnes either. 

And again, I didn't say Larsson or bust. If you can't get Hamonic at around $2.5 X 2, I'd rather spend more $ and term on Larsson or less $ and term on a TBD, 3rd pairing guy (Hakanpaa?). We have options. We're not Hamonic at a bargain, Larsson, or bust.

As for Edler, I like @Provost's idea of a 35+ bonus laden contract. $1.5 base +$ for games played etc, topping out around $2.5-$3 (the bonus portion of which can be carried over if need be). We could do a lot worse than Edler as our 6/7 D.

And yes... I'd be thrilled if we could upgrade a Mayfield/Foote (or Jenner/Paul.... ((Stenlund extension!)) ) as ED fodder for relative peanuts.

Edler will never be used as a 6/7 guy in Van though. If he is here, he is top 4. And that means our D is still not very good. If they would use him 3rd pairing sure, but they won't.

Edited by wallstreetamigo

3 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Not at all. Saying none of those 3 rhd are ideal partners for Hughes, who they obviously need to build the D around.

With Schmidt and Myers both having term and high cap hits, giving Hamonic the same essentially locks in a defense that was one of the worst in the NHL and has been for multiple seasons. One of them needs to be replaced with a true top pairing RHD. Locking them all up makes it impossible to change things.

Edler I want to let go for 3 reasons. First, because if he is re-signed, one of Rathbone or Juolevi are sitting or getting traded. Second, because if he stays the temptation will be for Green and company to rely on him beyond what he is now capable of effectively handling. And third, because he represents one of the only ways to actually upgrade the D going forward.

Its weird just seems like everyone is comfortable to bring back the exact same defense but want it improved? You cant HAVE BOTH PEOPLE!!

Just now, Bertuzzipunch said:

Its weird just seems like everyone is comfortable to bring back the exact same defense but want it improved? You cant HAVE BOTH PEOPLE!!

Thats how I feel. Someone has to go to improve the D.

I do think with Shaw on board our D could be a lot better than it has shown under Baumgartner but the main issue is no top RHD to play with Hughes. 

Having a great young offense only dman to build around is great. But he needs a partner better than Hamonic who can help hide his defensive weaknesses. That guy is not Hamonic, Myers, or Schmidt.

• Like 1

Edler will never be used as a 6/7 guy in Van though. If he is here, he is top 4. And that means our D is still not very good. If they would use him 3rd pairing sure, but they won't.

That's just silly. They're not going to play him over better options.

4 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Thats how I feel. Someone has to go to improve the D.

I do think with Shaw on board our D could be a lot better than it has shown under Baumgartner but the main issue is no top RHD to play with Hughes. 

Having a great young offense only dman to build around is great. But he needs a partner better than Hamonic who can help hide his defensive weaknesses. That guy is not Hamonic, Myers, or Schmidt.

Yeah no pressure on shaw to fix this dumpster fire. Id rather we trade our first for cernak so we have hughes partner for the next decade and one of the best penalty killing dmen in the league. 

Just now, aGENT said:

That's just silly. They're not going to play him over better options.

Thats my point. They will think he is the better option. Just like they have the last few years when he is clearly not able to keep up with the game. 

I would say both Juolevi and Rathbone could become better options in a hurry with the opportunity. But with Edler back one sits or gets traded. And the other gets sheltered by coaches who have shown they will always rely on the vets over young D. 

No chance they "disrespect him" by not giving him too much money, a nmc, and a top 4 role. 

He is at best a 2 mil 3rd pairing guy at this point. If he re-signs my bet would be 2 years @ 4 million per with a nmc. Unless its a super cheap contract, hard no.

1 minute ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Yeah no pressure on shaw to fix this dumpster fire. Id rather we trade our first for cernak so we have hughes partner for the next decade and one of the best penalty killing dmen in the league. 

I would be happy using our 1st for a top rhd partner for Hughes. 

Hughes-Cernak

Juolevi-Schmidt

Rathbone-Myers

I would be just fine with that to see what they can do. Add in a quality 7th guy and thats a good D for next year.

Hughes-Cernak

Juolevi-Schmidt

Rathbone-Myers

I would be just fine with that to see what they can do. Add in a quality 7th guy and thats a good D for next year.

Absolutely. I have no problem with that.

10 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Thats my point. They will think he is the better option. Just like they have the last few years when he is clearly not able to keep up with the game. 

I would say both Juolevi and Rathbone could become better options in a hurry with the opportunity. But with Edler back one sits or gets traded. And the other gets sheltered by coaches who have shown they will always rely on the vets over young D. 

No chance they "disrespect him" by not giving him too much money, a nmc, and a top 4 role. 

He is at best a 2 mil 3rd pairing guy at this point. If he re-signs my bet would be 2 years @ 4 million per with a nmc. Unless its a super cheap contract, hard no.

Yeah but you also think Pearson 'has' to play top 6 because he's making $3m :lol:

So I'll just chalk all this up as your usual hyperbolic nonsense based on flimsy conjecture ;)

2 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Hughes-Cernak

Juolevi-Schmidt

Rathbone-Myers

Cernak lol...

• Haha 1