The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Nate Schmidt to NY Rangers

Rangers are looking for more vet LD, have an extra protection slot, and just hired Gallant who is very familiar with Schmidt from their time together in Vegas.

What would Vancouver be looking for in return for schmidt from the rangers?

any chance we can get a young Dman prospect and a 2nd? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I know what I want, but the value is too high

I would take Braden Schneider (15 OA pick) .....straight across, but I think we would be adding the 2nd

But I would do it!

Guess it depends how desperate gallant and drury is, GMs have done dumber things for a player they really liked signed long term. Time for a jim benning swindle barnyard trade right bout now

image.gif.199d38a4c672adc0eb7e5893837dc375.gif

• Haha 3

To ??? - Schmidt + Juolevi 

To Vancouver:   A long term Edler replacement  + an honest “plumber” stay at home RHD defenseman.  

For the record, I love Nate Schmidt and nothing pisses me off more than reading JT Miller or Nate Schmidt proposals.

BUT - having said that, I would be interested in seeing what was out there in terms of my above requirements.   This team needs a long term Edler replacement in the worst way possible, and could also use another RHD.

The idea that I have in mind (atleast for a Nate Schmidt proposal) is that we take advantage of a disadvantaged team.  We get an upgrade on Schmidt, with the expectation that we’d also be getting a guaranteed 3rd line RHD “plumber” at the expense of a young Olli Juolevi that still has potential.

Under those circumstances, I would *possibly* consider the idea of moving Schmidt, but any other Schmidt trade idea generally pisses me off greatly.  Ditto for Miller deals.   Whenever I see proposals involving Miller and/Schmidt for young prospects, it gives me the impression that fans don’t truly understand why these players were brought in.  These players (vets) were specifically brought in because we will need these vets for  the 22-23 season when the Canucks put themselves in a position to make some significant noise.   THAT is one of the main reasons why both Miller and Schmidt were brought in.

• Like 1

I'd want some combination of Lindgren or Hajek (both are young LD, Hajek is an RFA), or Filip Chytil (RFA) who was their 3rd line C in the return (highly doubt we'd get Adam Fox or Jacob Trouba who would've been their two top RD), and if we trade Schmidt we'd need another top-4 ready defender on the right side (even if the 3rd C spot is filled).

Then again, something like Chytil and Hajek/ Lindgren for Schmidt and a pick would probably be great -- we'd get younger and cheaper and fill two major roster needs (can flip either the D-man coming over or Juolevi for a RD or sign one). 

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

I'd want some combination of Lindgren or Hajek (both are young LD, Hajek is an RFA), or Filip Chytil (RFA) who was their 3rd line C in the return (highly doubt we'd get Adam Fox or Jacob Trouba who would've been their two top RD), and if we trade Schmidt we'd need another top-4 ready defender on the right side (even if the 3rd C spot is filled).

Then again, something like Chytil and Hajek/ Lindgren for Schmidt and a pick would probably be great -- we'd get younger and cheaper and fill two major roster needs (can flip either the D-man coming over or Juolevi for a RD or sign one). 

Yeah i wouldnt mind Chytil and Schneider 15OA

for 9OA and schmidt +2022 2nd

Edited by Bertuzzipunch
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Rangers are looking for more vet LD, have an extra protection slot, and just hired Gallant who is very familiar with Schmidt from their time together in Vegas.

What would Vancouver be looking for in return for schmidt from the rangers?

any chance we can get a young Dman prospect and a 2nd? 

I could see them being interested in Schmidt. Not sure I see a fit for the Canucks based on Benning wanting to make the playoffs next year though. I would be good getting back a couple of young guys but I am not sure Benning would.

4 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I could see them being interested in Schmidt. Not sure I see a fit for the Canucks based on Benning wanting to make the playoffs next year though. I would be good getting back a couple of young guys but I am not sure Benning would.

Yeah thats also what im worried about. The smart move for our 9OA long term is to try n pry a guy like schneider and Chytil from the rangers. With his job not that secure its most likely hes looking at a quik fix with it.

44 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Yeah thats also what im worried about. The smart move for our 9OA long term is to try n pry a guy like schneider and Chytil from the rangers. With his job not that secure its most likely hes looking at a quik fix with it.

With Gallant signing, the expectation is going to be major improvement and playoffs next year. Schmidt would be a great fit there imo. 

Now that Aquilini has kept Benning, I would much prefer he not have him on the hot seat right from the start to go all out this offseason. You trusted the guy to stay, let him take a targeted approach this year with an eye on next summer for big changes. 

My trust in Benning would increase exponentially if he doesnt make a bunch of short sighted, long term mistakes trying to make the playoffs next season. I am not a huge fan but Aquilini made his choice. The path to next offseason is pretty clear imo. Playoffs this year should be a bice to have, not the end goal. Next summer there will be huge opportunity to $&!#kick this core's window open if he plays his cards right.

Edited by wallstreetamigo

5 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

I know what I want, but the value is too high

I would take Braden Schneider (15 OA pick) .....straight across, but I think we would be adding the 2nd

But I would do it!

19th, but im a big fan of him but it would be interesting if the rangers would do it, they traded picks too drop down too draft him.

• Cheers 1

What about this.............

NYR gets: Schmidt

VAN gets: Deangelo & Schneider

The Canucks get a high needed RHD D prospect with some size. Deangelo can play in the top 4 and hopefully boosts his stock or just bury him in the minors with Loui and don't qualify him in the offseason. I prefer to play him in the NHL to rebuild his value so he can be traded or qualified. Hopefully he STFU and realizes this is his last chance and makes the most out of it.

I know this will be highly unpopular, sometimes you have to be bold and think outside the box. Schmidt is essentially traded for a 1st.

FLAME AWAY. :lol:

Schmidt only cost a 3rd to aquire guys and he didn't have a great year. 

Likely something like Matthew Robinson+ Ty Ronning would work for both teams. Benning could then use the saved money to sign Ryan murray in UFA + another depth D so Schmidt for Murray + Robinson+ Ronning+depth D would actually be pretty good. 

47 minutes ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Schmidt only cost a 3rd to aquire guys and he didn't have a great year. 

Likely something like Matthew Robinson+ Ty Ronning would work for both teams. Benning could then use the saved money to sign Ryan murray in UFA + another depth D so Schmidt for Murray + Robinson+ Ronning+depth D would actually be pretty good. 

He only cost a third because Vegas were needing to clear cap for Pieteangelo. His worth is far more than a third 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just examining the general HF Boards, someone (you?) Proposed the same thing and Ranger fans seemed less than interested. They seem to believe that they have good enough prospects that they can plug into their lineup rather than trading an asset for an expensive Dman.

To Van:

Matthew Robinson+ Ty Ronning 

To NYR:

Nate Schmidt

To Van:

Sam Reinhart

To Buff:

9th Overall+ Louis Eriksson+ Oli Juolevi+ conditional 3rd round pick 2023 ( nucks make the play offs) 

To Van:

Alexander Kerfoot

To Tor:

William Lockwood+ Jet Woo

Toronto will lose him for nothing

Van Signs Murray

Van Signs Montour

Van signs Hamonic

Van signs Biega

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Reinhart

Hoglander Kerfoot Podkolzin

Motte ? Lind

Hughes Hamonic

Murray Montour

Rathbone Biega 

Demko

Holtby

Macewen taken in expansion draft 

3 hours ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

we also need to clear cap and teams know it...

Not anywhere near to the same extent Vegas did. They were over the cap and needed to clear space quickly we are tight and need to make space but we are not up against the wall trying to offload players just to be compliant 

• Like 1

My proposal 2021 1st Morgan Barron for Schmidt 2021 3rd

Morgan Barron is 6’4 put up a point per game in ahl and is ready for show And could slide into our 3rd line for dirt cheap 

3rd line of 

Pearson Barron Podz 

you then use that cap elsewhere as to

me there is no way we can succeed with Schmidt and Myers in our top 4

• Cheers 1