Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Nate Schmidt to NY Rangers


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Scottydzik said:

My proposal 2021 1st Morgan Barron for Schmidt 2021 3rd

 

Morgan Barron is 6’4 put up a point per game in ahl and is ready for show And could slide into our 3rd line for dirt cheap 

 
3rd line of 

Pearson Barron Podz 

 

you then use that cap elsewhere as to

me there is no way we can succeed with Schmidt and Myers in our top 4

Wow a 6th rounder. Yeah his numbers look great. Would love that trade getting a 1st also lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bertuzzipunch said:

Wow a 6th rounder. Yeah his numbers look great. Would love that trade getting a 1st also lol

Yes kid is big and likes throw his weight around him and podz on same line would drive teams nuts with there compete 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Scottydzik said:

Yes kid is big and likes throw his weight around him and podz on same line would drive teams nuts with there compete 

 

Having that extra 1st would be enormous. Be more inclined to trade 9OA for a young RHD 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bertuzzipunch said:

Having that extra 1st would be enormous. Be more inclined to trade 9OA for a young RHD 

Yes you definitely open up a ton of cap as well and very satisfied moving the 9 for a defense and easily take lambos or ceulemans who I think is gonna be a steal at 16

Link to post
Share on other sites

Schmidt has a pedigree and despite a crap year he's earned his deal.   He's versatile and plays both sides.    If we are trading him it better be for a young RHD or C we need.   That's all i'm going to say... wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if we just kept him for the duration, sure like Myers, he will settle in, and once the post season comes his value will go up.    LA sucked as a regular season team.   I want to see more reps with this team in the playoffs, next year hopefully, to really get a gauge.  

 

We could trade QHs too.   Get a monster haul and use it.     Imagine this - trade our 9th for Reinhardt (C/RW, 25) and LE.

 

Trade QHs straight across for Ekblad (Quenville had Campbell who was awesome for them same size).   

 

In this scenario (and thanks to my brother i'm using it)   we'd be playoff bound next year and our D would be stacked.   One of Rathbone, Myers, Schmidt or Ekblad would QB out top two PPs, and we'd have enough wingers with Hogs and Podz to create three scoring lines.    Rebuild done mike drop see you later.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Schmidt has a pedigree and despite a crap year he's earned his deal.   He's versatile and plays both sides.    If we are trading him it better be for a young RHD or C we need.   That's all i'm going to say... wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if we just kept him for the duration, sure like Myers, he will settle in, and once the post season comes his value will go up.    LA sucked as a regular season team.   I want to see more reps with this team in the playoffs, next year hopefully, to really get a gauge.  

 

We could trade QHs too.   Get a monster haul and use it.     Imagine this - trade our 9th for Reinhardt (C/RW, 25) and LE.

 

Trade QHs straight across for Ekblad (Quenville had Campbell who was awesome for them same size).   

 

In this scenario (and thanks to my brother i'm using it)   we'd be playoff bound next year and our D would be stacked.   One of Rathbone, Myers, Schmidt or Ekblad would QB out top two PPs, and we'd have enough wingers with Hogs and Podz to create three scoring lines.    Rebuild done mike drop see you later.  

That ekblad injury is worrisome. Real bad knee injury.

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

Not anywhere near to the same extent Vegas did. They were over the cap and needed to clear space quickly we are tight and need to make space but we are not up against the wall trying to offload players just to be compliant 

Why did they have to clear cap quickly?  Teams can exceed the cap by 10% in the off-season and Schmidt's 6M didn't put them over.  Sounded more like they didn't find anyone willing to take the full cap hit other than Vancouver.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mll said:

Why did they have to clear cap quickly?  Teams can exceed the cap by 10% in the off-season and Schmidt's 6M didn't put them over.

Wasn't it Petro's cap that was the problem and clearing Schmidt's cap allowed them to aquire him? 

  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, mll said:

Why did they have to clear cap quickly?  Teams can exceed the cap by 10% in the off-season and Schmidt's 6M didn't put them over.  Sounded more like they didn't find anyone willing to take the full cap hit other than Vancouver.

Schmidt did not want to leave Vegas, he literally just signed there long term with trade protection. Vegas looked at a number of moves to open up cap for Pietrangelo--Fleury was offered up, as was Pacioretty, no team bit. Vegas then signed AP, went above the 10% allowable overage and had 24 hours to be compliant, or the AP contract would be voided.

Link to post
Share on other sites

What should happen is that they move Schmidt to the left side which is his natural position and go out and find a RH dman to play with him. Having a left side that includes Schmidt, Hughes, Joulevi/Rathbone puts us in a very strong position.  Go out get Dumba, Jones, Larsson to play on the first pairing, resign Hamonic and we should be set.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Schmidt did not want to leave Vegas, he literally just signed there long term with trade protection. Vegas looked at a number of moves to open up cap for Pietrangelo--Fleury was offered up, as was Pacioretty, no team bit. Vegas then signed AP, went above the 10% allowable overage and had 24 hours to be compliant, or the AP contract would be voided.

Saw CapFriendly saying they had 6.7M in off-season cap space and Pietrangelo signed for more than that.  


Well before Pietrangelo even hit market LeBrun was saying that Vegas was waiting in the wings to pounce on him because they wanted to upgrade on Schmidt.  Vegas knew that they would need to clear cap.  It wasn't a last minute decision to sign Pietrangelo.  Surely they talked to teams to find a landing place for Schmidt before those 24 hours. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Scottydzik said:

Yes kid is big and likes throw his weight around him and podz on same line would drive teams nuts with there compete 

 

Doubt they would want to move Barron when he is expected to bring the grit and heaviness they are missing.  

 

Media has been complaining all season that NYR are too soft and owner Dolan concurred.  They are looking to add grit - similarly to what Tampa did when they added guys like Coleman, Goodrow, Maroon.

 

Don't think they would have interest in Schmidt either - would be surprising for Drury to ignore Dolan and acquire yet another skilled player while trading away a gritty one.  Dolan had that quote about how they have talent but that's not enough to win.  Would think that Drury is looking to add players that bring an edge and can play more of a heavy game for the post-season.

 

Edited by mll
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, mll said:

Saw CapFriendly saying they had 6.7M in off-season cap space and Pietrangelo signed for more than that.  


Well before Pietrangelo even hit market LeBrun was saying that Vegas was waiting in the wings to pounce on him because they wanted to upgrade on Schmidt.  Vegas knew that they would need to clear cap.  It wasn't a last minute decision to sign Pietrangelo.  Surely they talked to teams to find a landing place for Schmidt before those 24 hours. 

 

Vegas had only 10 teams they could talk to as per schmidts NMC. Most teams on schmidts list probably had cap issues themselves or were content with what they had already. So yeah maybe they did have talks but it was only 10 teams they could talk to.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mll said:

Doubt they would want to move Barron when he is expected to bring the grit and heaviness they are missing.  

 

Media has been complaining all season that NYR are too soft and owner Dolan concurred.  They are looking to add grit - similarly to what Tampa did when they added guys like Coleman, Goodrow, Maroon.

 

Don't think they would have interest in Schmidt either - would be surprising for Drury to ignore Dolan and acquire yet another skilled player while trading away a gritty one.  Dolan had that quote about how they have talent but that's not enough to win.  Would think that Drury is looking to add players that bring an edge and can play more of a heavy game for the post-season.

 

Schmidt is what they need a solid left side d and would be great with Trouba cost isn’t cheap for top 4 d and I think Barron is probably 5th or 6th on there prospect depth seems like a perfect trade for both rangers are looking to take next step and are sorely lacking  top 4 with experience 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bertuzzipunch said:

Vegas had only 10 teams they could talk to as per schmidts NMC. Most teams on schmidts list probably had cap issues themselves or were content with what they had already. So yeah maybe they did have talks but it was only 10 teams they could talk to.

Fair enough but would be the same again now - his 10 team no trade is still in effect and teams are still in cap trouble.  The cap is expected flat through 2024/25 per Friedman - the length of his contract.  He also turns 30 next month.  There were only 31 Ds with a cap hit higher of 6M or more this past season.  Not sure there is much of a market unless there is some retention. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Scottydzik said:

Schmidt is what they need a solid left side d and would be great with Trouba cost isn’t cheap for top 4 d and I think Barron is probably 5th or 6th on there prospect depth seems like a perfect trade for both rangers are looking to take next step and are sorely lacking  top 4 with experience 

Dolan explained that he fired his GM and President because the team was not built the right way.  He acknowledges that they have tons of talent but says it's not enough to win.  Drury got the job to change the culture and bring in more edge and grit.  That's not Schmidt.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mll said:

Dolan explained that he fired his GM and President because the team was not built the right way.  He acknowledges that they have tons of talent but says it's not enough to win.  Drury got the job to change the culture and bring in more edge and grit.  That's not Schmidt.  

Probably should ask gallant if he is.

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, mll said:

Fair enough but would be the same again now - his 10 team no trade is still in effect and teams are still in cap trouble.  The cap is expected flat through 2024/25 per Friedman - the length of his contract.  He also turns 30 next month.  There were only 31 Ds with a cap hit higher of 6M or more this past season.  Not sure there is much of a market unless there is some retention. 

 

All depends. When you get traded when you waive a NMC the team that traded for the player decides if they keep the clause or not. Not sure if Benning did or didnt.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

All depends. When you get traded when you waive a NMC the team that traded for the player decides if they keep the clause or not. Not sure if Benning did or didnt.

Not anymore.  The clause travels with the player even if he waives - it automatically gets reinstated.  It was changed in the CBA approved last summer.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, mll said:

Not anymore.  The clause travels with the player even if he waives - it automatically gets reinstated.  It was changed in the CBA approved last summer.

 

Ahh okay thx

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...